Altera Reviews in Canada

Updated 21 September 2014
3.2

Altera Chairman, President, and CEO John P. Daane
John P. Daane

Pros
  • Average work load and work life balance as a design engineer (in 30 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to work on interesting, cutting edge technology (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Still you can not have work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management has a pattern of just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Place to work.

I have been working at Altera

Pros

Great visibility to different departments and road maps.

Cons

It is highly competitive. There is not much chance to get up to the speed if you try to make a balance between work and life. you really have to work hard to get to a point that a trust from Altera veterans get acquired.

Great workplace, smart engineers

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Altera full-time (more than an year)

Pros

downtown office, professional work environment

Cons

work can be overwhelming at times

Interesting research-oriented problems to work on; Great group of engineers to work with.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Altera full-time

Pros

Extremely talented group to work with. Great opportunity to challenge yourself with several research-oriented projects.

Cons

Product/segment roadmaps are unclear. Unsure of growth potential of company.

Great Internship

I worked at Altera as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent people, good atmosphere. Good knowledge and sense of team. Internship program is well developed.

Cons

Seemingly few opportunities to advance in company, insufficient resources to complete required work.

Altera Toronto Rocks!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Altera full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are so smart here. The work is very interesting. There is a ton of career development and the managers & directors really care. Love the free Metropass and social events.

Cons

Dealing with the San Jose headquarters can be challenging at times- the time zone and cultural differences can be a big deal. We never seem to have much travel budget.

Spend more effort on product planning - we seem to be behind in this area.

Rewarding hardwork, company direction unknown

Current Employee - Intern in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Intern in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Altera as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

-Really intelligent people
    -Fun work environment
    -Good low level management

Cons

-Senior management has no idea what the company direction is.
    -Keep changing goals.
    -Laid off people without reason

Figure out what you want to do ... make up your minds.

Great tech and opportunities with some annoyances

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Altera full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All of the problems we work on are cutting-edge, so there's always something new - so new that lots of people get to publish their work in journals.

There's always more work to do than there is time, which might seem bad but it means that if you automate your current job away, you have nothing to fear since there will always be another valuable project for you to work on.

There's a lot of room for creativity, and with some persistence you can get new projects going. People also move around frequently, with entire teams sometimes changing their mandate from one area to another. At least from a technical perspective, it's easy to get unstuck if you get bored. You can even switch from high-level software to next-generation hardware design - there aren't many places with that kind of flexibility.

Cons

Software engineering hasn't always been valued as much as "getting things out the door," because we're ultimately about selling hardware, and the software has to be ready to do that come hell or high water. As a result, some of the code quality has suffered over the years. Similarly, our testing and building infrastructure is sub-par. Both of these appear to be improving but there's a way to go.

Encouraging people to be more efficient is nice, but technical leadership and investment are needed as well.

Ok for new graduates - Stay away if you value growth in your career

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Altera full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation in Toronto is good and new graduates get to do interesting work

Cons

If you value your career and are looking for a dynamic and creative place to grow, then you should definitely avoid this place.
    Advice to new graduates: Don't stay here longer than a year or two.

Review

I worked at Altera

Pros

Well managed. horizontal environment and somehow visibility on the things going on the executives.

Cons

Very conservative.Still you can not have work/life balance

Superficial. No real experience even if you look for it

I worked at Altera

Pros

I think you can end up making a few good friends at Altera. Also they seem to pay well.

Cons

1) They have no real work anymore. If you come here expecting to learn something, rest assured you will plateau in only 4 months and will be stuck with making presentation slides, debugging 30 years of horrible code, and spending 50% of your day in unnecessary and useless meetings.
    2) Very unhelpful staff: Since they know they have no work, any employee who has done something significant in the past will guard that accomplishment with his life, and will never divulge the inner workings to anyone. They are all afraid of being laid off and are all stuck to their comfort zone. I have heard "I don't know the answer" more times than I cared to count, only to find that same person giving the answer out in a formal meeting. They show no willingness to show a new employee the ropes or to answer their questions.
    3) Horrible management: Irrespective of department, management always wants to cut corners and give the minimum possible functionality that a customer would like. They do not entertain their employees' willingness to think out of the box and add value to the software. They simply go "I don't think the customer will need any more than that, just code it up and lets move on". They have a broken testing infrastructure, which is why their software is extremely buggy and customers always come back with tons of complaints. Most of these complaints go unresolved.

The only people that will defend this company are people who were there during the days of its inception, when there actually was some real work to do. New employees: avoid Altera like the Plague !