Amazon.com

3.3 3,259 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,275 ratings)

Pros
  • You will learn a lot while working at Amazon that will be useful for the rest of your career(in 98 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here(in 302 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel(in 535 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company(in 123 reviews)

3,259 Employee Reviews

High Risk, High Reward

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsSalary is good. Get stock vests over first 4 years. Very challenging and will push you to your limits, and beyond. I have grown as a leader 2 fold in 3 years. Amazon focuses on holding managers accountable and thus creates an environment of success. Highly driven by a feedback-centered culture.

ConsNo good training process for managers. It's a "sink or swim" environment. This is a product of the internet-speed growth that Amazon faces. This is the high risk part of the job, but if you make it, great things can happen

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't leave your leadership on a island to "figure it out for themselves". This is chewing people up and you're losing great talent. Focus on your leadership they way your leadership focuses on the associates.

the overall experience was very good and looking forward to build my career in Amazon.

Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

Prosthe best thing about amazon is flexibility to work and obviously the perks.

Consyou should be keep on learning and develop your self to compete inside company.

Advice to Senior Managementthe important things are maintain a good and highly professional environment inside company.there should be enough opportunity inside company for growth for high performance employee.

Good experience with many opportunities to excel

Senior Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

Proswork culture, senior management, opportunity

Consbenefits, compensation tied heavily to stock performance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience

Associate (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsPlenty of opportunities to obtain leadership experience Great people around. I have found my personal growth to be immensely satisfying. Senior management is very helpful in terms of mentoring.

ConsWork pressure is high. Compensation and benefits are not that great considering the amount of time spent in working. OT is rarely paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't be diplomatic.

Challenging, but worth it

ProsInteresting work, great people, lots of autonomy and flexibility

ConsHigh performance bar, little to no support, work life balance can be a challenge

Good Learning Experience, But can be hectic

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA (US)

Pros- Great compensation
    - Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development
    - looks good on resume

Cons- Depending on the team, work-life balance can be virtually non-existent. This is highly dependent on the manager
    - No perks such as free food, drinks, etc in majority of Amazon (In the palo alto office, we do get free snacks and drinks)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so dam frugal, improve the perks to match other tech giants.

Hard work that pays off

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) Hebron, KY (US)

Proshours, pay, time off, competitive benefits package, free stock

ConsManagement doesn't communicate, morale runs low, improper use of time, facilities sometimes poorly managed

Advice to Senior Managementspeak to your lower level employees about the processes that are being implemented

Best Internship!

Operations Leadership Intern (Current Employee)

ProsI learned a lot during my time there. They were very focused on the development of managers and the associates. I had great support from senior staff and they were always willing to help me when I needed it. I was challenged every day and was given opportunities to work on projects with other departments. Was treated as a manager not an intern. I worked the same hours as my manager and never worked over 55 hours a week (non peak weeks). Once you are in the company there are a thousand opportunities to either change location at will or change positions all together.

ConsWork life balance can be hard but is manageable.

Amazing experience with brilliant people, but upward mobility is challenging due to many layers of middle management.

Account Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsIt's good to be the king. AWS is the market leader, but engineering doesn't act like it. Extremely innovative and fast paced. If you appreciate the technology it never gets boring to sell it. The people are amazing, and because the hiring process is so daunting odds are most of your peers are solid contributors. Great opportunity to make money if you are hungry and resourceful.

ConsThere are many layers of middle management that came from far less innovative companies and it shows in the increasing amounts of bureaucracy and politics. The hiring process is arduous and sometimes freezes out good candidates. Upward mobility is really hard, especially with many layers of middle management almost all of which were hired externally.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of management seems to focus on what makes them look good as opposed to what makes their team look good (which has the same result).

Great Experience working at amazon

Quality Assurance Engineer II (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1. Complete ownership of the product
    2. Good Leadership principles, which if you follow can achieve many things
    3. Good pay
    4. Can learn so much about Software Development, architecture and processes
    5. Great freedom at work. No Rules and regulations

Cons1. Expected to work all through. No time for relaxation
    2. No other cultural programs at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat going.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!