Amazon.com

3.3 3,276 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,283 ratings)

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development(in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here(in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel(in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company(in 125 reviews)

3,276 Employee Reviews

we all don't work in Seattle

Area Manager (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

Prossalary is much higher then in most companies

ConsWork life balance
    expectations are very high
    lots of politics if you want to move up

Advice to Senior Managementpractice what you preach

It's intense but I learned alot

ProsAmazon has its leadership principles. Leadership principle is not only the guide for interviews but also the guide for internal ratings of current employees. This principle demonstrates good company culture.

ConsCondensation is good according to other tech companies. Benefit is rather week. Amazon promotes frugality. Working extra hours at work is a demonstration of hard work. However I am sure for all companies, everyone will be particularly busy during launch times.

Amazon is the future

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsProduct breadth, opportunity to develop and learn is huge. You can work in whatever you are interested in. There is a great website. Then there are high performance/scale services which are core part of business. Then there is AWS, hardware, kindle and the list goes on.
    It's generally easy to switch teams and moving to other roles is encouraged.
    Mostly smart people around.
    Compensation is competitive and great potential of stock is a silver-lining on the top of that.
    Just loving the company and work.

ConsSometimes work could be hectic but that's ok. Some managers are political & bad but many are good. Again few teams do not do great work but just operations or maintenance so be choosy.
    Don't expect great facilities as it's very frugal company but essential benefits are comparable to other good companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementJeff Bezos is a true visionary & genius. One thing that differentiates him is he is constantly watchful. He is making the company innovate. Customers are loving it and most products are generally more successful then other companies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Full of learnings - Good pay but you need to take your growth in your hand

Site Merchandiser (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsLearnings
    Innovation
    Excitement
    The company will give you great opportunities to own up new things especially if you are on a senior role.

ConsStructure
    Slow Growth
    The lower the leveling bar you are, it will be difficult for you to grow and make everyone happy. It is a highly opinionated company and of course at the end, opinion of the seniors matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance

Sales

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsNice environment but insensitive people

ConsPoor management and lack of responsibility permeates the system.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring it up the game

Great company doing great things and re-imagining online retail.

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) Naples (Italy)

ProsCorporate focus on long term growth and strength, major growth inside the company to match the growth of consumer base.

ConsDemanding expectation of leaders, performance bar is fast moving and hard to match.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluation, improvement, and utilization of talent in the company may help grow internal performance and increase satisfaction of employees.

Machine Learning

Account Executive (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsAmazon is a well oiled machine and you'll learn a lot if you have the stomach to stay plugged in.

ConsNegatives outweigh the positives - long hours, politics, unreasonable demands, and disconnect from leadership principles and from employees make it an environment better suited for robots.

Great company to work for - everyone is super friendly.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Cork (Ireland)

ProsReally good training provided. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Regular work nights out and themed days. Team Leaders are really helpful and friendly, and the support system for new staff is great.

ConsThe pay isn't great for entry-level jobs, and the hours can be a bit nuts. There can be a lot of shift work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement are pretty good in my opinion - never had any issues.

Unappreciated, Overworked

Datacenter Technician (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Pros- Great place to learn new technologies.
    - Team was close, and banded together against unrealistic expectations
    - Generous starting pay package

Cons- Zero professional growth.
    - Expected to always take on more roles and responsibilities, but without a pay increase.
    - Bar raiser promotion system is a joke ( why would anyone work for you if they are better than 75% of the people there?)

Advice to Senior Management- Show more concern to your employees, treat them more like people than robots.
    - The brand name doesn't mean a thing when it's a horrible place to work.

category manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosendless opportunity to advance ecommerce

Consendless hours can be taxing

Advice to Senior Managementwork/life balance needs improvement

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!