Amazon.com

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,045 ratings)

2,800 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "You're surrounded by smart people who challenge you to grow constantly"
    in 264 reviews
  • "You learn a lot about leadership principles and how to manage people"
    in 78 reviews
Cons:
  • "Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel"
    in 438 reviews
  • "Pathetic culture-no work life balance/poor pays shares are deceiving/Extremely political"
    in 100 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work hard, exceed, and burn out.

Manager (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, Peers, Exposure, Training, Experience

ConsUnderpaid, Underappreciated, Overpromised, Compensation, No Loyalty

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

You get better deal somewhere else

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com

ProsGood name on your CV. Bright people. Mediocre management.

ConsYou get better deal from somewhere else if you are working about the same hours. The salary increase is not even on par with the inflation so you're becoming poorer every year. The compensation basically you're dumb enough if you stay longer than 2 years. After sign-on bonus, you face a personal financial cliff.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are making your company a Google University by being cheap. Work on retention instead of wasting time on hiring and training. It's not FRUGAL. Learn to do better math and then talk about frugality.

The walmart of the internet world

Lead Collator (Current Employee)
San Bernardino, CA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGrowing company, and a great place for experience in various fields

ConsWork to life balance is a big challenge

Advice to Senior ManagementTo many chefs and not enough Indians

Chaotic

Software Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

ProsAmazon is widely seen as one of few companies that are actively innovating. An Amazon.com stint on your resume can open some doors that might otherwise remain closed to you.

Amazon stock has done amazingly well over the past few years and Amazon is a big believer in paying with stock, with one of the lowest base salary caps in the industry.

As a development manager, I had more authority over my team's processes, the hiring process, the review process, etc., than I had at most of the other companies I've worked for. This can be good or bad, depending on the quality of the individual manager.

ConsConspicuously absent from the company's core values are such things as "honesty," "work-life balance," and "treat employees fairly."

The company is frugal to the point of stupidity at times, with some calling this out as being "frupid." Getting access to such things as proper hardware and training took an enormous amount of work since there is a severely limited budget for both.

The middle layer of management, from SDM to Director, has a lot of power to do whatever they wish. How you are treated at Amazon depends almost entirely on your manager. With a good manager, you'll do well. With a rotten manager, and there are a lot of them, you'll do poorly. This includes such things as work-life balance, compensation, and advancement.

The company has grown faster than its processes support. All too often, enormous technical debt accrues and fighting to pay back that debt is far more difficult than it should be, as the VPs only want features.

Excessive upper management meddling in various projects causes a lot of problems, from features that change on a daily basis to features added without any schedule change or any other features removed, and so on. The upper management team, all the way to Bezos, has to sign off on all user experience changes for the major features, tablets, and eInk readers, and that causes a terrible backlog in getting those features defined, as they go through multiple iterations at multiple upper management levels.

Basic project management guidelines, best practices, and tenets are routinely violated. The lessons of "The Mythical Man-Month" have never been learned at Amazon.

The stock is likely overvalued, which means that the generous compensation can turn overnight to a much less generous compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop meddling so much. Hire good people and then trust them.

Lot of work, No work life balance, Unhappy employees, Management disconnected from reality.

Software Development Engineer I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsLot of exciting work goes on at Amazon.
Good opportunities are there but you have to be lucky to be given them.
Salary is acceptable.

ConsThe Stock Bonus and 401k match are a way to keep you around longer since you barely get anything without sticking around for 3years, but most don't stay that long.
Too many people leaving and new people coming in, a lot of time and money is wasted due to this.
Chaotic workplace.
The review process is one which Microsoft scrapped, and is one of the reasons most leave.
Very few truly happy software engineers here.
Everyone works crazy hours. Some start little later, work through lunch meetings, and till 12 and 1am at night and on weekends quite regularly. No one asks you to do it, but everyone does it so it becomes "normal". So you work super long hours and you don't even get benefits like free food or snacks even.
Work-Life balance is non-existent, be ready to bid adieu to your social life completely if you want to stick around.
Amazon knows how to convert exciting work into life sucking torturous work which takes a toll on your health and happiness.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging employees.
Don't keep pushing employees to the extent where they are frustrated and disappointed with themselves. That won't help anyone.
Account for unknown issues which can happen, this is where you need to deal with ambiguity.

Great if you have a lot of energy to give

SDE3 (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsDepending on your group, you could be working on some amazing world-changing technology that is used by millions of people around the world. If you can handle the pressures and stresses and breakneck pace, you might even be rewarded for it.

ConsManagement can be dysfunctional; inter-team communication can be pathological. People are supposed to "dive deep" and learn to help themselves but instead it's pretty common for people with knowledge of things to become single sources of all information for others, and whenever operational issues occur - and they occur A LOT - you need to parachute in, try to fix everything with a wave of a magic wand, and keep everything running, even archaic systems that are held together with duct tape and paperclips.

"On-call" duties are the worst hoax ever perpetrated on eager software engineers, and this is an unbreakable part of Amazon religion that does nothing but wear people out more quickly and establish broken systems as a status quo instead of the intended effect of encouraging people to make better software.

Advice to Senior ManagementDedicated operations, PLEASE.

not bad for working around one year

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Prosnot good for experienced sdes, the sdes in some team are not well appreciated.

Consnot worth working for long time, compensation is not bad for beginner. The CEO is doing great, lots of great SDEs, but the management is in mess in some team.

Modern slavery

Picker (Former Employee)
Columbia, SC (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

ProsYou will never fall short of 40 hours a week
Benefits
Cool coworkers
You will definitely get toned and maybe lose some weight
You have 40 hours of unpaid and paid time off upon hire to use as you please

Cons15 minute breaks that last 5
no matter how hard you work, they want more
walking 15 to 20 miles a day for a pathetic 11 bucks an hour
They do not accept doctors excuses
They tell you in orientation that you will be in pain every day....what kind of business is okay with this

Good company, terrible people

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are many innovative projects being implemented so you have the opportunity to be involved in something new, exciting. It is common to move around and work in different groups, which is great for personal development. You are mostly surrounded by smart, driven people.

ConsThe company culture is horrible. Goals can be impossibly aggressive at times, which is bad for work-life balance. This also leads to people securing their position and shifting blame when goals are not met. Not a collaborative, friendly environment at all. Compensation is OK, not great. This is a terrible post-MBA job

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a reason why the attrition rate is so high, fix the culture or keep losing good people

Not what I was expecting

Software Development Manager III (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsVery talented and professional engineers. Interesting problems to solve. Good relocation and hiring bonus, decent base salary. It will be a learning experience, no matter what your background is. Strong company culture and good team spirit.

ConsThe high hiring bar and mandatory layoffs every year makes is hard to keep your team fully staffed. You will spend a lot of time recruiting. Management is distrusting by nature, and playing devil's advocate seems to be a corporate pastime. Expect strictly negative reinforcement and to hear that you are not doing good enough. Being a bully is considered a value, and a requirement for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart trusting and empowering your employees instead of micro managing.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All 2,800 reviews are posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.