Amazon.com

3.3 3,251 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,269 ratings)

Pros
  • You will learn a lot while working at Amazon that will be useful for the rest of your career(in 98 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here(in 302 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel(in 535 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company(in 123 reviews)

3,251 Employee Reviews

Great

ProsEasy Job Great time off policy

ConsNone All work well together

Pays lip service to putting employees first, doesn't deliver.

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) Huntington, WV (US)

ProsInteresting work that was different all the time. Lots of interaction between different departments. Good benefits as far as Health Insurance was concerned.

ConsPoor base compensation for position, relies too much on stock grants to make up pay. No work-life balance at all and if you are religious, you're frowned up (at least at the location I was at) if you as to have Sunday mornings free. Being moved out of areas of responsibility once you get really good at them and can add value.

While they stress people are important, if you try to work with people if they have issues, your reprimanded about trying to help them. It seems like they would rather just get rid of them and hire someone else. No respect for experience and knowledge learned from other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomer Service starts with taking care of the internal customers that are not in Seattle also.

Software Engineer life sucks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to learn a lot and get very good experience

ConsOn calls are horrible. You can get paged anytime 24hrs/day for 7 days. Screws up your health

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider that employees have a life outside work too

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company but..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsWorking with great talented set of people, opportunities for cool projects

ConsCareer growth, salaries (!?, yes, really). If you are in operations, that's hectic job as well. Work-life-balance is not so great.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the employee's work more effectively

Customers first, Employees fifth

Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) Petersburg, VA (US)

ProsIf you work as a picker or stower, this job can give you a great workout. The people are mostly very friendly and approachable and it is customary to engage in a little chit-chat in order to maintain sanity. Full-time permanent employees get lots of chances to take time off including paid time and the dress code is very liberal.

ConsWhile some days can be worse than others, the work is generally extremely monotonous. Burnout is inevitable. The atmosphere on the floor and get lonely and at times depressing as it seems that no one really wants to be here. The rules tend to be hypocritical (you can actually be stopped for moving too fast) and only emphasize how dumb and devoid of intellect this job is.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees like robots. Music should be played more often to ease the monotony.

Brilliant people and no life

Quality Assurance Engineer I (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsAmazon will teach you a lot. You'll be around brilliant people all day and are bound to learn something new from them, even if you pick it up by osmosis.

The things you do are likely to ship. Not everything does; as with every company, some projects get canned or put on hold indefinitely, but most things move pretty quickly. Even if your particular project never sees the light of day, it's likely that some of the things you did will get repurposed.

You'll have a pretty good idea of where you fit into the machine based on your job title and the people around you. This isn't the sort of place where you're going it alone and everyone is siloed off; there are literally thousands of people who can answer questions or collaborate.

If you meet or exceed "the bar", you will be recognised to a degree. In most cases, effort in equals reward out.

Being so process-heavy can actually be a blessing in disguise as resources are always available for any problems you might run into and things are fairly well-documented.

Amazon gets things done and one of the key values is having a backbone -- you're expected to stand your ground if you disagree. This lends itself extremely well to things like eliminating code debt and keeping things moving; there's no groupthink. It can sometimes become a little bit adversarial, but it's not a big issue and is a small price to pay for the advantage it gives the organisation. For a huge company, it's outright nimble.

Everything is data-driven, which I'll also mention in the Cons section. As a pro, though, if you have the data to back it up, you'll be able to get what you want. Additionally, your performance is measured with data-driven metrics, so your review shouldn't come as a surprise -- good or bad.

ConsI hope you took pictures of your work-life balance while you had it, because it's gone the second you step in the door. If you're not in the office until 2 in the morning some nights, you're probably not meeting the bar. This is an unfortunate fact.

Salary is average, perks are nil, and bureaucracy is outrageous (though you have to expect the latter in a company of 89,000 people).

"The bar" is either something you stand on or it hangs over your head. Not "raising the bar" means you're toast eventually. Amazon has a monumental turnover rate; most people will give up after a year.

Office politics happen, largely in the form of needing to suck up to the right people in order to be heard and having to manipulate colleagues to get them on your side. Again, fairly common in an organisation this big.

Everything is data-driven. You can't go on instinct or gut feeling; if you don't have the data, you don't have an argument. Your experience means nothing if you don't have data to back it up.

If something comes down from Jeff, people drop everything in order to kowtow -- which would be fine if it wasn't completely inconsistent with Amazon's stated values. You might lose your job for daring to argue with the decisions of a hypercompetent genius from Mars, but if you want to be consistent with having backbone, that's a chance you have to take. The fabled "question mark emails" mean someone's not sleeping for the next two weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know Jeff is a visionary-slash-juggernaut, but he is not omniscient and sometimes questioning his judgment is a good thing, even if it's just to suss out why something is being done a certain way.

Your people are people, not cogs. Your turnover rate is abysmal; start with fixing the work-life balance and you'll see your turnover rate improve.

Treat your warehouse employees better; if they collapse, you collapse.

Offices that aren't Seattle shouldn't be second-class citizens. Give them the same or similar perks where it's possible; otherwise you start to breed resentment.

Very peculiar

Technical Program Manager II (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsAmazon is indeed a very peculiar place to work. There are a lot of opportunities to move around, intelligent people, there is never a dull moment and diverse culturally. My experience has been positive so far, but it differs from team to team. I've known people who left the company due to a bad experience with management. They either left at their own or were fired. The relocation package is very generous and the hiring team does an excellent job of recruiting talents.

ConsBe ready to work long hours, have little work-life balance, bad health benefits, no career guidance, lack of processes, still runs as a start up, little teamwork, raises are miniscule and I wish they were as obsessed with their internal customers as they are with external ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in really developing your people. Be more transparent with your employees and develop more ways to reward good performance. Teamwork has actually proven to be a good practice and I think everyone could benefit from it.

Do not value their employees

ProsAlways 40 hrs plus plenty of overtime

ConsVery repetitive work with little opportunity for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees as though they matter.

Great experience, love-it-or-hate-it culture

Senior Product Manager Intern (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsThe work is challenging, and you can immediately see the effects of your efforts in the products. It's also great to work for a company whose products you actually use, so that you have a more personal connection to the product. There is no shortage of opportunities within the company.

ConsThe culture is fast-paced, competitive and conducive to employees with strong, type-A personalities. I must qualify this statement by saying that I previously worked in the manufacturing industry, which tends to be much more slow paced and traditional. However, I felt like the workload at Amazon was very high even by tech company standards, and the expectations for performance are high. It is definitely a high stress environment, which doesn't suit everyone's work style.

Hard to promote within if you are starting as a Tier I Associate

Tier I Associate (Current Employee) Jeffersonville, IN (US)

ProsGood benefits, stock options, vacation, personal time and unpaid time.

ConsIf you start as a Tier I associate it is very hard for you to promote within even though your educational credentials and work experience excel other associates. Once you are in a specific Tier the company will try to keep you from promoting until they have used your experience up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aware of what all associates have to offer. Don't be hard set on keeping hard workers in specific paths just so you can drain their expertise. This action is leading to discontent and "don't care" attitudes.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!