Amazon.com Reviews

3,507 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,429 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

Opportunity like nowhere else

Current Employee - Software Development Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to get things done and grow your resume. You are working with really smart people and have access to a lot of enablers. The culture here enshrines "bias for action" which is your license to cut through the red tape when it gets in the way.

Cons

Low titles, lack of performance pay. The appearance of frugality is valued beyond its business benefit. This can make you feel less valued regardless of your salary. Stack ranking encourages people to play the system rather than do the right thing. Negotiate hard before you arrive.

The first few performance reviews here are tougher than they should be and lead to attrition. Managers have to play the system to give promotions and money where they can. Because overall Amazon has been so successful, upper management has failed to recognize the cost of this attrition and how much better performance could be without this problem. We are using up our talent pool and our competitors are skilled at playing up the negative aspects of the culture here.

Awesome!!!

Current Employee - Process Assistant  in  Carlisle, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Carlisle, PA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are so many opportunities!!! Very customer oriented with always pursuing new ways to be more efficient with frugality.

Cons

Lots of changes all the time in streamlining the processes for customer experience....

Train your upcoming middle managers to be prepared and give them the feedback they deserve (be it positive or negative)...

Working environment in rapid pace and wild - as wild as Amazon forest itself.

Current Employee - Data Center Technician II  in  Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Data Center Technician II in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits is much better than average company in Japan, freedom on shift and easy of taking vacation is really attractive. Lots of genius along the way.

Cons

Office politics seems inevitable, some higher ups do not treat their subordinate and tend to be showy on their authority

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to intern and gain some excellent experience

Former Employee - Operations Leadership Intern  in  Sumner, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Leadership Intern in Sumner, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Culture: very casual but intense and data driven
    Everyone is really friendly and open I never felt out of place

Cons

Hours, hard to take time off, a lot of red tape hard to get things changed completely

The expectations are high, but every one makes an effort to see us succeed.

Current Employee - Tier III Associate  in  DuPont, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Tier III Associate in DuPont, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The leadership principles are actually important to the culture of the company, and not just some nonsense written on the wall. Also, Integrity, hard work, and a customer centric attitude are rewarded.

Cons

Standardization is the ideal, yet I consistently heard the phrase, "at my FC we do "x" this way..." from the trainers that came from various FC through out the country. This created a lot of confusion in the first few weeks that our new FC was open.

A heads up on why we are making a change would be nice sometimes. Even if the only reason is, "hey, I wonder if this will work". Can be frustrating for an associate who has just learned a task to have to re-learn it, just because some faceless manager said so with out making the advantage of learning a new way clear.

Stressful but worthy

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Able to get your hands on some latest technology. Seattle is a great Seattle, way better than Bay area in my opinion.

Cons

Stressful, workload is overwhelming. No cafeteria, no free snacks, only tea bags and coffee.

Get us some cafeterias, or some free snacks!

Great place for internship

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

colorful life in Seattle, well-paid salary for interns

Cons

very little annual bonus

Good And Bad, But Overall Okay

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company.

a). Amazon is perhaps one of the best companies when it comes to interesting projects. Almost includes all areas you can think of. It's leading in cloud computing and also releasing new devices yearly. Tons of challenges. Great leadership from Jeff Bezos. I like where this company is headed.

b). Amazon has an official dog policy that allows you to bring your dog to work on a daily basis which is really cool.

c). Paid time off 6 days. Pretty good. 3 sick days. Okay.

Cons

a). In terms of compensation, average base salary, great sign-on bonus, lame stock bonus over first 2 years(4 years allocation ratio of your stock bonus: 5%, 15%, 40%, 40%) then it's better. No cash bonus ever after the sign-on bonus though. You also won't receive any stock bonus on your first performance review, either. Last but not the least, their salary bump is minimal compared to other IT companies.

b). No perk at all. You want free food? Go elsewhere. You want free parking? Go elsewhere. You want office? Go elsewhere.

c). No green card for immigrant SDE1s because you are not valuable to the company. SDE2s will get theirs going after half a year of service. Although exceptions can be given from time to time. And usually managers understands it and will help you.

d). Oncall experience is different significantly from teams to teams. Cannot say much about that. My team is mostly okay. But I have heard horrible stories, and I am not planning to experience those.

e). People move very frequently. Promotion can be a problem when your manager keeps coming and going and nobody has a set of continuous datapoints of you.

f). 2 weeks of vacation in the first year. Then 3 weeks starting from your second year. 2 weeks is well below IT company standard. Although they kind of making up for it by adding 9 extra days(6 PTO + 3 sick days)

Grant green card for immigrants immediately. Add perk. Those will help you keep your employees from moving.

I loved the work pace

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

It have a lot of benefits

Cons

Getting your work expectation is so hard

Great work experience at Amazon.

Former Employee - NAFC Workers' Compensation Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - NAFC Workers' Compensation Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great flexibility in work hours for management, telecommuting options, base salary and opportunities for new innovative ideas.

Cons

Some drawbacks are the number of associates assigned to each area manager to supervise (Too many), lack of standard work and protocol in many job areas, very high turnover, and over reliance on technology in some instances.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!