Amazon.com

3.3 3,305 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,300 ratings)

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights
3,305 Employee Reviews

Working with Amazon

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsRich technologies and infrastructure is a big plus to move faster and learn at same pace.

ConsEmployees not counted, highly competitive environment leads to wrong choice and employees are sacrificed.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership principals are the pillars of success to business, but those often used conveniently.

Future

Software Development Engineer I (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

Prosgreat benifits, nice co-workers, like a second family

Conslack leadership in the management

Advice to Senior Managementcompensation

Good Company

Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) Haslet, TX (US)

ProsBetter than average hourly rates; work/life balance depends on you; a most bodacious experience; always maintain a positive attitude.

ConsIt really is hard work. You are expected to perform within certain parameters which are not unreal expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain positive and proactive for your employees. Remember THEY make YOU look good.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with minimal perks

Software Development Engineer Intern (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsTechnology:
    It is extremely easy to move laterally between teams and divisions. Because the company is so diversified you will have the opportunity to work on any area of technology you can think of: Web applications, cloud infrastructure, web browsers, tablets, consumer retail (at ridiculous scale), builder-tools, etc. Furthermore, they work in mainstream languages and leverage a lot of open-source software, so the skills you develop will be portable both inside and outside the company

Customer Focus:
    Amazon is extremely customer-focused. As a result, they are extremely externally competitive. Even as an entry level developer, you will be aware of how your work impacts the customer. This stands in sharp contrast to some other big tech companies with extremely long release cycles. It still has a startup feel despite being a truly massive company.

Talent:
    Despite having the reputation of having a difficult interview process, not all of the intro-level employees hired right out of college are all that impressive. However, the higher-level employees are all incredibly intelligent, thoughtful, and eloquent. It seems that the evaluation process does a good job in selecting truly outstanding individuals. If you are confident in your abilities, this is a plus (although it is not unique to Amazon).

Work-Life Balance:
    This varies DRASTICALLY by team. If you are working on load-balancing for the consumer retail site, expect to work crazy hours during Q4. However, you can select any team you would like, and there are plenty of teams where people work standard 8-hour days. On those teams, hours are extremely flexible.

ConsPerks:
    Free bus pas and an occasional team outing, but that is absolutely it. There is no free food, free haircuts, free massages, etc. This doesn't actually bother me all that much, but if you care about perks then you will be sorely disappointed.

Lack of Transparency:
    Amazon is very tight-lipped about almost everything. Information is disseminated on a need-to-know basis, so don't expect to play with new devices before they are released unless you are working on them or get tons of details on the company's performance. Other than the metrics for your own team, you will know about as much as the public knows.

Great place to intern. Be ready for frugality though and you will love it !

Software Development Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGreat access to work across the company. Very smart people and a great place to start your career. Most managers are accessible and make time to discuss your work and how your time in the company has been

ConsWork life balance is a decision on how fast you want to grow vs how relaxed you want to be. Also, ON CALL DUTY is really terrible for certain teams. So cross your fingers !!

Great job if you can physically and emotionally handle it.

Packing (Former Employee) Lebanon, TN (US)

ProsWorked in fulfillment center. Good pay and benefits for full timers. Fun job with equally fun coworkers from all walks of life.

ConsThey work you like human robots. Constant pressure to keep up your numbers. Numbers seem unattainable to all but a very few.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore smiles. Less numbers.

Great stuff

ProsGood money. Easy hiring. Keeps you active. Work independently. Decent benefits.

ConsThe strictness of maintaining an ever-increasing stow rate is challenging and a lot of the fulfillment centers show favoritism among management.

Challenging company which needs to grow

Software Development Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

Proschallenges, qualitative culture, customer obsession, fierce market positioning

Consorganizational bloat (hiring without need), company size, work-life balance, lack of support for growth

Advice to Senior Managementavoid organizational bloat, and build more ownership in teams

Depends on the team, and that can change fast

Senior Software Development Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsYou get to work with really smart people. You get to make a significant difference for millions of customers. As long as the stock keeps going up, total compensation is above market.

ConsSome areas put a lot of pressure on their employees. Some areas have horrific work/life balance. The constant raising of the bar and the push to top-grade makes it hard to maintain consistency and allow really smart people to fail and stay with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile raising the bar is good in theory, the way it is implemented forced me to get rid of good people.

Great place for work, Aggressive environment

ProsIf you love technology.
    If you want to learn and learn, want to take individual responsibility and ownership.

ConsWork life balance is bad. Very aggressive working culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat engineers like humans not robots.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!