Amazon.com

3,841 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,614 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 115 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 340 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 616 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

salary software engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits, good pay, exciting place to work

Cons

long hours, no time to take personal time

loosen up

Amazon Fullfilment facilities Distribute Merchandise in all USA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Good money compensation and profit sharing

Cons

Loong work hours and 6 days

hr is online and hr at each facility lack for information to help filling paper work and follow up you have to be constantly reminding

You will grow

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

money, technology, projects, extremely intelligent people. This list can go on. You sink or swim, this aspect is a pro.

Cons

55 hours minimum weekly and constant " off hours" work depending on what department you are in (Con for most)

I don't have many complaints here. This company operates quickly and Issues are no different than any other company.

SVS

Current Employee - SVS in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - SVS in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, expanding company, entrepreneurial company. Best company i've worked for

Cons

Never stops--- but that's also part of the fun

It's a job

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Middletown, DE (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Middletown, DE (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay and Benefits are good but not great. Managers and supervisors in my area know my name and are friendly. Workplace is pleasant and welcoming. Everything needed to complete work is available.

Cons

There are no real breaks. Supposedly we have two fifteen minute break but are responsible for amount of work as there were no breaks. Some supervisors bully and degrade workers to try to improve production numbers.

good for fresh grads.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1.project ownership
    2. learn a lot within a short period of time

Cons

1.sometime heavy workload.
    2. oncall policy

1. no private office area
    2. promotion is difficult sometimes.

Amazon is a great place for me but not everybody

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to drive your career, large problems to solve, phenomenal leadership principles.

Cons

The environment can be too goal oriented sometimes and people can lose sight of the big picture.

Go in with your eyes open to the expectations

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Making designs and customer experiences that go live and are used by millions of people is an accomplishment that I'm so proud of as a designer. Amazon offers that kind of opportunity. There is also exposure to incredible minds and personalities, and talent that inspires you to raise your game. I met, worked with, learned from, and became lifelong friends with amazing people here. Collaboration opportunities abounded, and ideas for continuous improvement were encouraged, and implemented with supportive data (which you got to research, write/mock up and pitch). What they say about project ownership is true, but you're as responsible for tooting your own horn and creating visibility around your project too. Type-A drivers probably find it easiest to survive here.

In addition to working on meaningful customer experience design projects, I got a great business education. Designers have access to data and as much business and technical specs as they can stomach. There were fun prototyping explorations, and plenty of exposure to customers via a robust and supported usability department.

Cons

Expect to gain weight, go on anti-anxiety meds, and resume your smoking habit working here because you'll kiss your life outside of work goodbye. You can never "coast" or just do your job--taking a "rest" by working less than 50 hours/week is a sign of weakness and losing your edge--eventually you'll be penalized for it. "Sustainers" need not apply, Amazon is only for aspiring leaders who launch stuff and then move on to the next sexy project. If you're even momentarily not interested in leading a team, or continuously working for a promotion, you're given a low performance review. I saw this happen to countless great people. Everyone does the job of at least one and a half, if not two, people, and continuing education is your responsibility and expense (in time outside of work), not the company's.

Would also concur that it's essential to find the right team to work for--if you interview, be sure to read between the lines to ascertain how happy those on your loop are.

As an employer, Amazon needs to flex to the changing life, health, and work conditions of its internal customers, the people who build and make its great products--its workers. People age, have kids, health conditions, priorities shift and not everyone can give 150% continuously. Burnout rates and the company's lack of interest in winning people back makes for a very low barrier to losing some of your best people.

A Positive experience overall

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. on an avg,you will find quite a few smart people around you ( depends on the team)
    2. lots of learning opportunities.
    3. can easily switch teams within Amazon.com. you can pick teams working on your area of interest or choose one to learn a completely new problem space/technology.

Cons

1. stock price has gone down in the last year thereby reducing the paycheck.
    2. inconsistent hiring bar across teams. so you will indeed find difference in quality of engineers you work with depending on the team.
    3. fast changing requirements may mean that what you worked on for past 1 year is literally trashed.

It was an excellent work experience.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brilliant coworkers to learn new things. Liberal policies which maintains work life balance. It is one of the best place to have an excellent work experience.

Cons

Cons depend on your believes and expectations. Company has a wast no of employees. So you have to take serious efforts to prove your talent.

I think it has good management and teams.