Amazon.com

3,532 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,460 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

Customers First at the Expense of Employees

Current Employee - Instock Manager  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Instock Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Smart Coworkers
    At Amazon you’re going to work with some really bright individuals. Everyone I work with is very intelligent and very hard working. That’s evident by the clock ticking down to 6:00 and seeing all your coworkers typing still at their door desks.

Interesting Work
    The work you do at Amazon is already quite fun. On the retail side it’s like running your own business. There’s so much to do and you’re never bored with the work. It’s neat to see how everything you do impacts your business and improves it.

Casual Work Environment
    It's also quite nice that you can go to work in jeans and a t-shirt. Bringing your dog to work is great also, but really it's just a wait to keep you there longer.

Cons

Before I go into the cons I’m going to say that this is based upon my personal experience during my 3 positions on the retail side of the company.

No Work Life Balance
    60 hour work weeks are normal. Meetings at 5:00 happen and people regularly work past 7:00. It feels like I go to work, get home, work some more, go to sleep, and repeat. On the weekends I get a bit of a break, but I still am required to work as I have certain reports and other tasks that have not yet been automated to complete. Amazon work kills all hope I have of an outside life.

Always on call
    Even being on vacation doesn’t matter as you’ll receive high priority emails management wants answered right away. Holidays are no exceptions. I was called once at 6:00 AM on a holiday because of a promotion running at a competitor I had to match. I finished all tasks associated with the promotion at about 8:00 PM. I didn’t have a holiday as a result, but customers were able to get a good deal on the retail products I was in charge of.

Single People Preferred
    Do not expect to see your kids or significant other regularly. If you mention you have to leave early, like 5:00 (which is a normal 8 to 5 day) to pick up your kids or go to a dinner date, expect to be mocked by your boss after you’re gone. I’m regularly late now to almost all after work events because of work that is given and required to be completed after 5:00.

Too Much Work
    This is great as you’re never bored, but it also means you’ll constantly be working. Lunch normally doesn’t happen as you’re in a meeting during that time, completing something for later deadline, or rushing for a fire drill. It’s basically survival of the fittest here. You will need to automate your tasks or risk drowning in a pile of endless work. There are a lot of improvements needed to be made at Amazon and management wants them done now.

High Bars
    Once you’ve automated your work and reached your goals, you’ll be asked to surpass that the next year. Eventually your goals will become impossible to achieve. I’ve mentioned this to management and their answers are normally along the lines of “I’m not sure how you’ll be able to improve, but you need to.”

Small Raises
    I’ve been lucky that I’ve achieved high ratings on my reviews and so my raises have been just above inflation. Even so, they’re laughable. Raises occur only on your base pay and your base pay is relatively a small portion of your compensation.

Golden-handcuffs
    Amazon entices you with a bonus your first two years and stock every year afterwards. If you leave the company before the end of the year in which you received a bonus you’ll have to pay it back. If you leave during one of the years in which your stock vest it’s like you worked for nothing. My stock is almost equal to my base pay for example. This keeps you working for the company.

Low Base Pay
    Living off your base pay is also terrible as the cost of living here in Seattle is rising. You’re income on paper will look like you make a decent amount of money, but only because of your stock/bonuses. If you choose not to cash out of it when it vests you’ll be living by meager means as most of your pay will go to rent and other expenses. Having a low base pay also puts you in a different bracket for loans as they don’t consider your grants and bonuses reliable income.

Frugality
    Only the bus pass is free. Parking is not and parking is expensive. Amazon will reimburse up $160 worth of parking, but at over $25.00 a day it doesn’t go very far. If you can get monthly parking you’ll pay less, but there’s a long wait list. On the bright side most people leave after 2 years so you may get a spot if you stay long enough. There are also no employee perks that I’m aware of, except free coffee and tea in the kitchen.

Performance Improvement Plans
    PIP is very real at Amazon. A certain number of people in your department every year will be put on it. Essentially the weakest link will be eliminated. If you don’t perform better than someone else you’ll be let go. Politics are very real and active as well. Consider it similar to Game of Thrones. Make sure someone owes you a favor and preferably that’s someone at a higher level.

Promotions
    Lateral moves are common, promotions are not. Most people rotate after 1-1/2 years. Getting promoted requires laterally moving to a high job level. Once in that level you will need to perform the job better than coworkers doing the same job at the level you’re trying to get promoted to. This accounts to doing a much harder job with more work at a lower wage than everyone else until you’ve proven yourself. You’re also competing with other coworkers at your level and job for the promotion. This works great for the company, but makes you feel like you’re way underpaid for the job you’re doing.

Turnover
    I’m not sure the exact numbers as Amazon is constantly hiring new people, but it seems high. I’ve seen lots of people leave Amazon that I’ve worked with. The average stay seems to be about 2 years. After that people leave for better opportunities. Consider this place a stepping stone to the next job. Also expect your workload to increase each time someone leaves until they fill that position. You may be moving on before that happens though as Amazon has a really high bar for hiring.

Amazon could be a great place to work. I actually enjoyed working for the company for the first 1-1/2 years. After that I realized things were not going to get better. My work days did not get shorter, only longer. I now feel like all I do is work and am starting to burn out as a result. I could probably deal with most of the other flaws, but I work to live not live to work. I’m counting down the days until my next stock grant and then I’m heading for the door.

I’m not the only one either that thinks like this. Most people will not speak the truth; even if you ask me to my face I’ll lie and say I’m not going anywhere. I’d lie because I know the politics of the place would stab me in the back if I told the truth. Working at Amazon is a job, not a career.

If the stock ever crashes you can also expect a mass exodus of workers as our base pay isn’t comparable to other offers out there.

My advice is to look at my list of cons and figure out a way to fix them. We do the same thing to improve the experience of the customer, why don’t we improve the work life of our employees? How many good people have to leave before Amazon upper management figures this out?

it was amazon!

Former Employee - Sanitation Engineer  in  Culver City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sanitation Engineer in Culver City, CA (US)

Pros

Lots of exercise. great parking lots, wonderfull people, and food, and stuff to see. Soooo much inventory - my gosh! But not alphabetized very well - to many things misplaced. And the buildings are HUGE!! Too easy to get lost in - they should use a staff paging system.

Cons

Saw so much stuff to buy! couldn't afford it all! :-( they should pay more so their employees could buy more - they get more biz that way and make more money!

keep up the good work. stock some personal jet packs. Get bigger drones - to ride on :-)

Amazon is a very fast paced working environment.

Pros

Its a company with a great reputation, known worldwide, fulfillment centers all over the world.

Cons

It's a constant battle between the management team and the associates. The management team tries to appear as though they are doing everything possible to make the associates work life as good as possible but then turn around and treat them poorly. The associates are given something out of the ordinary and then they want the world/MORE!. It's a no win situation either way. Constant battle back and forth. Draining.

I think the leadership team should get more extensive training on how to work the most effectively in this type of environment. The leadership team acted like adolescents at times by talking behind each other’s backs, relaying private conversations with associates to others, etc. The HR team was probably the most pathetic group of individuals that I have ever worked with in my past 30 years. They were useless and totally unprofessional. They lacked morals and acted unethically numerous times. The other centers in the node constantly commented on how terrible they were to work with. Embarrassing really.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing Learning Experience

Current Employee - Temporary  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Temporary in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Really Great Place to work

Cons

Heavy workload and short deadlines

Recognize hard workers more

Okay

Current Employee - Picker  in  Fernley, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Picker in Fernley, NV (US)

Pros

Great work, good people, great pay

Cons

Can get overwhelming and busy

This is a good place to work

Pros

You get to work on your own project.

Cons

Benefits are not very good.

Fast Paced

Pros

Pay, Experience, Smart people to work with, Personal time, Benefits

Cons

-Things change too fast
    -Fast turn over rate for managers
    -Not enough paid holidays

Good atmosphere in my office

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Elastic working hours, you can come early and leave early, even as an intern. Besides, you can bring your dog to the office. Teammates are very helpful and responsive.

Cons

Compared to other powerful IT company, Amazon insists frugality, so no much free food or drink, but I don't really care. What I care more is the laptop we got, it's a kind of old ThinkPad or Dell, you have to apply if you want to use a macbook pro (not retina!).

My manager is very nice, so far so good!

Sr. Manager

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Great culture and ownership and responsibilities

Cons

Work life balance was challenging at times

it was a fun atmosphere and they like to teach you as much as possible so they can throw you in every department.

Former Employee - FC Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - FC Associate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Pros

co workers tend to be pretty decent people. well organized company, good for people who like to work hard or who are competitive and the benifits and time off are pretty good. its great to get to learn the ins and outs of any department you want and decent possibility of moving up.

Cons

pay kinda sucks, they say there is an open door policy but most people feel like they are heard not listened to. if your not good at picking up things fast expect not to last or to want to last. and if your not in semi decent shape i can see how the goals might be stressful. but to fit hard working people job is cake.

learn to listen.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!