Amazon.com

3,855 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,621 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 115 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 340 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 616 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazon

Current Employee - FC TRAINER in Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - FC TRAINER in Delhi (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good company to work in

Cons

Less pay, lots of manual work and less automation, takes time to adapt to the cahanges

Have to be little more structure in resolving problem

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Former Employee - IT Consultant/Project Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Consultant/Project Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best place for learning, strongly recommend to the people who wanted to learn design and implementation of system.

Cons

Before joining , many people suggested me that you will not have any life there. But i love to take challenge and according to me , if a person is happy with his work, then he can work for 8-10 hours a day passionately. So i strongly recommend to the people who are at there early stage and wanted to learn designing and building large systems. This is the place for them to learn.

For some of the team interview process is not fast paced

SVS

Current Employee - SVS in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - SVS in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, expanding company, entrepreneurial company. Best company i've worked for

Cons

Never stops--- but that's also part of the fun

Amazon is a great place for me but not everybody

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to drive your career, large problems to solve, phenomenal leadership principles.

Cons

The environment can be too goal oriented sometimes and people can lose sight of the big picture.

Great product and customer focus

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Software Development in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Software Development in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Major initiatives that can change the marketplace, a great deal of focus on what's best for the customer, top notch engineering and product teams. Lots of resources from across Amazon are available to you if you have a reasonable project. Amazon culture is to stick with a product and make it better and better at every rev, so there is lots of product stability and focus.

Cons

Long hours, but that's par for the course in tech industry.

It's a job

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Middletown, DE (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Middletown, DE (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay and Benefits are good but not great. Managers and supervisors in my area know my name and are friendly. Workplace is pleasant and welcoming. Everything needed to complete work is available.

Cons

There are no real breaks. Supposedly we have two fifteen minute break but are responsible for amount of work as there were no breaks. Some supervisors bully and degrade workers to try to improve production numbers.

Go in with your eyes open to the expectations

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Making designs and customer experiences that go live and are used by millions of people is an accomplishment that I'm so proud of as a designer. Amazon offers that kind of opportunity. There is also exposure to incredible minds and personalities, and talent that inspires you to raise your game. I met, worked with, learned from, and became lifelong friends with amazing people here. Collaboration opportunities abounded, and ideas for continuous improvement were encouraged, and implemented with supportive data (which you got to research, write/mock up and pitch). What they say about project ownership is true, but you're as responsible for tooting your own horn and creating visibility around your project too. Type-A drivers probably find it easiest to survive here.

In addition to working on meaningful customer experience design projects, I got a great business education. Designers have access to data and as much business and technical specs as they can stomach. There were fun prototyping explorations, and plenty of exposure to customers via a robust and supported usability department.

Cons

Expect to gain weight, go on anti-anxiety meds, and resume your smoking habit working here because you'll kiss your life outside of work goodbye. You can never "coast" or just do your job--taking a "rest" by working less than 50 hours/week is a sign of weakness and losing your edge--eventually you'll be penalized for it. "Sustainers" need not apply, Amazon is only for aspiring leaders who launch stuff and then move on to the next sexy project. If you're even momentarily not interested in leading a team, or continuously working for a promotion, you're given a low performance review. I saw this happen to countless great people. Everyone does the job of at least one and a half, if not two, people, and continuing education is your responsibility and expense (in time outside of work), not the company's.

Would also concur that it's essential to find the right team to work for--if you interview, be sure to read between the lines to ascertain how happy those on your loop are.

As an employer, Amazon needs to flex to the changing life, health, and work conditions of its internal customers, the people who build and make its great products--its workers. People age, have kids, health conditions, priorities shift and not everyone can give 150% continuously. Burnout rates and the company's lack of interest in winning people back makes for a very low barrier to losing some of your best people.

Growing fast, but not employee-friendly

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people, flexible work environment, not much politics

Cons

Nickle-and-dime employees, compensation is below industry, spread the company to improve commute.

I know frugality is the theme of the company, but maybe make the compensation/perks better to improve employee retention or morale.

Great culture

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

A strong data driven culture. Employees are customer focused and intelligent.

Cons

Can be long work hours. High expectations.

good for fresh grads.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1.project ownership
    2. learn a lot within a short period of time

Cons

1.sometime heavy workload.
    2. oncall policy

1. no private office area
    2. promotion is difficult sometimes.