Amazon.com

3,944 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,671 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

Sr. Human Resource Assistant

Former Employee - Senior Human Resource Assistant
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resource Assistant

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I would recommend, but with strong hesitancy:

-Straight out of college I made $50k with no experience in Human Resources. Heck, my degree was in liberal arts. Very few of my peers could say the same.

-If you want to see different places, Amazon has a lot of different locations around the US and transfers are pretty commonplace.

-You will meet enthusiastic, intelligent people who you will learn to love like family.

-You will grow an incredible amount professionally, I do appreciate what Amazon did for me professionally. I went from a Sr. Human Resource Assistant position at Amazon to a Human Resources Manager position at another company after my stay with Amazon.

Cons

-Zero work/life balance. Do you have children? Are you married? If you answered yes, look somewhere else. You will virtually never see your children and/or your spouse. I know mothers and father who were constantly torn between family and career, don't do that to yourself, no paycheck is worth it.

-High turnover in HR and in other departments is a definite discouragement.

-They say you can take personal time at "any time" but for Human Resources, that is a joke. Unless you are sick/doc appt/car trouble, you will be guilted into coming in every day except for the precious 7-10 days you take off for vacation. I used my personal time for coming in 10 min late every day for several weeks because I knew I was never going to take off a whole day and I was reprimanded.

-You will be expected to do in 40 hrs a week what should really take 50-55 hrs a week. I was hourly but I regularly took my computer home to work on work without pay.

-They do tell you upfront that you will work the holidays, I was told that in my first interview. But, you have to work the holidays. You will learn to semi-dread the holidays.

-I received little to no training coming into my role. I've heard they're finally setting something up, but Amazon is like nowhere you've ever worked before, and a 2-3 week training is quite simply, never going to be enough.

-Running lean will only get you so far until you've exhausted your employees. Human Resources doesn't have the resources (ha!) to do their job adequately, mostly in the realm of sufficient manpower. \

-Personal growth: Really really difficult to change out of your position or get into another track unless you hound upper management that an Amazon coworker of a coworker who's boss occasionally pings someone in upper management. Make it more streamlined and offer more variety, especially to those in fulfillment centers.

PeopleSoft Administrator

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice office culture and compensation

Cons

need to improve more on work-life balance

Improve Onsite Oppotunties

SDE

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome Work Environment, very structured processess.

Cons

Work Life Balance is missing.

Software Development Engineer

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice Work Culture, Lots of challenging work

Cons

Too much of work load.

Its hard, but worth it

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Herndon, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Herndon, VA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can only speak to AWS rather than Amazon as a whole. And one's experience at a company is at least 50% determined by the quality of their direct manager. So YMMV, but in my experience you will become better at whatever you do.

Amazon Web Services is a hard place to work and is not for everyone. But it does have massive opportunities for those who want to grow. We do work hard. If you want a strict 9:00-5:00 job that doesn’t involve being oncall then AWS is not the place for you. But if you are an engineer (or manager) who wants to grow; wants to know how to code and own a system handling a significant percent of the world’s internet traffic; and work in an environment where you are surrounded by incredibly smart people who will challenge you beyond what you thought you were capable of, then you should be interviewing at AWS.

Cons

Its hard. You will work hard. You will no longer be the smartest person in the room. If you don't learn how to self-pace and say 'no' when necessary you will burn out rapidly.

My placement at Amazon was overall positive as I got to learn a lot from my experienced and helpful colleagues.

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Colleagues are knowledgeable and good at what they do since the bar is quite high to get in. People are friendly and helpful. Also, workload is adequate so there is always something to do but not ridiculously much.

Cons

Pay is ok but not too good.

Managers could give more attention to the developers in terms of having discussions about personal growth, career options etc.

Employees are 2nd class citizens

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazon is an "Amaz" in Amazing when it comes to being innovative, creative, and customer-centric. They are certainly on the path to greatness, the likes of a Google or a Facebook
    The stock prices are increasing, which only make your stock options, if you have any, much more valuable

Cons

One problem with this program is that the only people Amazon does not take it's "customer obsession" value on is its employees
    The internal ongoing joke here at Amazon is that you don't find any "gold badges" (indicating someone has worked here 10+ years) in senior positions. Basically, the idea is that Amazon rewards employees' loyalty and dedication with ceremonies and awards rather than promotions or pay increases. It prefers to hire externally to fill positions than to promote internally
    Finally, the work hours are apalling. "The sun never sets on Amazon" partially because we have offices everywhere, but partially because we often put in 10, 12, or even 14 hour days. This week, my floor had at least 10+ employees still in the office past 12am every day, plus Saturday & Sunday - somewhere in the area of 80 hours per week. Fortunately for the ecommerce giant, we've all signed clauses to opt out of the 48-hour work week, so they are legally in the right. But how they treat their own kind never felt so wrong.

Instead of crunching numbers to figure out how you can squeeze more out of each employee until they are tired, depressed, and defeated. try to live by your own standards and apply the "customer obsession" leadership principle to one of your most important customer base: the employees that make you.

Encourage/cultivate positive behavior rather than punishing and ridiculing people for the tiniest infringement.

Bureacratic blockers are going to be the biggest downfalls of this organization. If it takes 4 meetings and a 6-page document to get a simple plan put into action, the wheels of the machine stop moving. And that not only stops us from being flexible, adaptable, and competitive, it's downright frustrating.

And finally: PROMOTE INTERNAL GROWTH. I can't stress this enough. There are manager and director-level people in this org with 5-10 years of experience who can be making great careers elsewhere. Rather than risk losing those people by hiring externally, promote internally.

The Darwinistic Game of Thrones for the leadership incompetant

Former Employee - Software Development Manager III in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager III in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Nice Campus, Great Technology, Major tooling (both a pro and con, but the common infrastructure is great)

Cons

Favoritism, Politics, "Old Guard", Excessive Overhead, Perpetual Abuse from Management, Weak Leadership, Darwinistic Cut-Throat

Very prone to favoritism and politics - they stack rank at all levels applying a very Darwinian "survival of the fittest" mold to the employee population. This often yields itself well to games of politics where other managers try to 'put people down' to make themselves appear better. (You will see this when stack ranking your reports as well....basically if you don't speak the way they want you to, your people will suffer). Be warned...there is some serious 'group think' at play, so much so, if you differ in belief you will find yourself quickly outed. I learned the hard-way where my manager frequently would engage in political discussion baiting me into defending my differing beliefs (my fault for engaging that idiot).

Management may or may not be from an engineering background. My manager was actually a TPM and very obvious he's never had to be responsible for a budget or delivering a project on a deadline. His lack of technical expertise...and more 'theoretical' science made the work relationship extremely tenuous. He did not do a good job at providing leadership, only was able to take credit for the projects I put forward.

Main point, management is weak and only experienced in their way of management (not very adaptable, more 'good old boys').

In terms of the large culture - - there is a habit for management in different teams to make very bold commitments to the S-Team (Senior VPs), without recognizing the cost or funding dependent teams. This often leads to tough resourcing decisions where if the team doesn't get their way they will write 'anonymous' feedback - which if your management is a putz will not be vetted, discussed, but just held against you. Essentially you can provide 'feedback' on any body at any time with or without reason and it will appear in their bi-annual review.

They say they have a "Bias for Action" - which is not very true.... they tend to spend more time writing documents than prototyping or engineering. As a manager at Amazon you will essentially write documents (size of a thesis) to promote your employees, define the projects you will work on, fire your employees, answer to teams wondering why you are not working on their very special request, etc. If I would be to break down my time, I spent at least 50% customer meetings, 20% meetings with reports, 10% meeting with management, 20% answering email. Now that's just the 50 hours you will spend in the office, after that you have to find time in your personal life to do the things you think actually provide value / writing docs.

Compensation is ok...the max salary is $160k a year by policy, so they pad the rest in Stock (after it vests). The effect is you feel your raises at least a year delayed (if the stock performs), salary hardly every raises with inflation or just to meet increases in rent.

Stop buying every company under the sun and start turning a profit. Drop the non-kindle hardware, the phones were stupid and didn't have the app ecosphere to support. If we are to take most of our compensation in stock, it needs to at least grow 15% YOY as you project it to.

Invest in your managers, senior management should know how to develop new managers without micromanaging or being completely handsoff - you will never develop management from different backgrounds than yourself that way.

Writing docs is not the only way to think, nor the most effective way. You can express intelligent thought that is easier to parse in bullet point or presentation. (Every doc review you end up having to present the whole thing again anyways as they are always so long and hard to parse).

AWesome company oto work for

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

competitive environment. People are very helpful

Cons

bad city. almost a dead one

you rock!!

Cutthroat and Competitive

Former Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Interesting Work and affordable products

Cons

We are so pressured to hit our hiring #s, people do not treat the candidates and each other with respect. It's impossible to feel good about what you do when you are bringing people into this environment. Recruiting leadership is overall weak and toxic. HR knows but doesn't do anything either because they don't care or have no clue how to fix it.

be fair and consistent