Amazon.com

3.3 3,302 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,299 ratings)

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights
3,302 Employee Reviews

It's intense but I learned alot

ProsAmazon has its leadership principles. Leadership principle is not only the guide for interviews but also the guide for internal ratings of current employees. This principle demonstrates good company culture.

ConsCondensation is good according to other tech companies. Benefit is rather week. Amazon promotes frugality. Working extra hours at work is a demonstration of hard work. However I am sure for all companies, everyone will be particularly busy during launch times.

We work hard to be the best in customer service. Rewarding, but challenging.

Tier II Digital Specialist (Current Employee) Winchester, KY (US)

ProsNice starting pay. You can earn bonuses. They do have 401 K and stock bonuses as well. I can work from home, but not everyone gets that option.

ConsVery high expectations for customer service. If you do it right you probably will be mentally tired at the end of the day. These are not necessarily cons by any means. I could not ask for a better company to work for.

Full of learnings - Good pay but you need to take your growth in your hand

Site Merchandiser (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsLearnings
    Innovation
    Excitement
    The company will give you great opportunities to own up new things especially if you are on a senior role.

ConsStructure
    Slow Growth
    The lower the leveling bar you are, it will be difficult for you to grow and make everyone happy. It is a highly opinionated company and of course at the end, opinion of the seniors matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazon is the future

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsProduct breadth, opportunity to develop and learn is huge. You can work in whatever you are interested in. There is a great website. Then there are high performance/scale services which are core part of business. Then there is AWS, hardware, kindle and the list goes on.
    It's generally easy to switch teams and moving to other roles is encouraged.
    Mostly smart people around.
    Compensation is competitive and great potential of stock is a silver-lining on the top of that.
    Just loving the company and work.

ConsSometimes work could be hectic but that's ok. Some managers are political & bad but many are good. Again few teams do not do great work but just operations or maintenance so be choosy.
    Don't expect great facilities as it's very frugal company but essential benefits are comparable to other good companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementJeff Bezos is a true visionary & genius. One thing that differentiates him is he is constantly watchful. He is making the company innovate. Customers are loving it and most products are generally more successful then other companies.

Sales

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsNice environment but insensitive people

ConsPoor management and lack of responsibility permeates the system.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring it up the game

Machine Learning

Account Executive (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsAmazon is a well oiled machine and you'll learn a lot if you have the stomach to stay plugged in.

ConsNegatives outweigh the positives - long hours, politics, unreasonable demands, and disconnect from leadership principles and from employees make it an environment better suited for robots.

Unappreciated, Overworked

Datacenter Technician (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Pros- Great place to learn new technologies.
    - Team was close, and banded together against unrealistic expectations
    - Generous starting pay package

Cons- Zero professional growth.
    - Expected to always take on more roles and responsibilities, but without a pay increase.
    - Bar raiser promotion system is a joke ( why would anyone work for you if they are better than 75% of the people there?)

Advice to Senior Management- Show more concern to your employees, treat them more like people than robots.
    - The brand name doesn't mean a thing when it's a horrible place to work.

Great company doing great things and re-imagining online retail.

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) Naples (Italy)

ProsCorporate focus on long term growth and strength, major growth inside the company to match the growth of consumer base.

ConsDemanding expectation of leaders, performance bar is fast moving and hard to match.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluation, improvement, and utilization of talent in the company may help grow internal performance and increase satisfaction of employees.

category manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosendless opportunity to advance ecommerce

Consendless hours can be taxing

Advice to Senior Managementwork/life balance needs improvement

Employees are a commodity

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsPay is competitive with other tech companies.

ConsFrugality will drive you up the wall (takes an act of congress to get a 2nd monitor, no perks to speak of). Tools are complicated, frustrating, and slow. 4-year refresh cycle on already underpowered laptops. Lots of people constantly stressed to the limit with oncall duty and unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow that you value your employees by placing value on their time. Spend some money to make employees more productive, and the investment will pay for itself quickly.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!