Amazon.com

3,945 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,672 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at Amazon is definitely hard but I found myself learn a lot in terms of data driven mindset.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Amazon has good training systems. The office environment is lay back. Everyone is very friendly and energetic. People are expected to perform at a very high level.

Cons

Sometimes the working hours can be very long, like 50-60 hours a week. Sometimes I felt that there are too many activities going on in the office that made me hard to concentrate at work.

Encourage discussions in the office.

Software Intern Review

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You can learn a lot in AWS team. Teammates are helpful.

Cons

Sometimes have to work later for project.

Bad experience, but very team-dependent

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

Huge company - Lots of opportunities if you want to change your career path or switch teams

Name recognition - nice to have a big company like Amazon on your resume

Flexible work options - You can work from home without missing too much (team-dependent and job-dependent)

Benefits - The bus pass and 10 percent off discount off of the website are good perks. Health insurance was decent. Kitchenette was available and clean. Some teams/organizations have free food in the kitchens.

Pay - Salary was above average for the area, but still not as much as other big tech companies.

Cons

Huge company - You can't turn your head in South Lake Union without seeing an Amazon employee wearing a blue badge. The company is expanding extremely rapidly, and while they are building new office spaces in downtown Seattle, work spaces feel cramped. You'll feel like a number at company meetings.

Work-life balance - On-call rotations are a norm because of the companies notion of 'ownership'. Though I was an software developer, managers are also subject to being paged. My shift usually started between 9 and 10 am and most days didn't end until after 7pm. This was normal for all of my team members. Of course, this is also very team-dependent.

Benefits - The retirement plan is lackluster compared to other tech companies. New hires only get two weeks of paid vacation (10 paid days off not including weekends and holidays). That's lower than all companies I've researched. Not only is it lower than other companies, you are not given your vacation days upfront. You a portion of them per month. Also, Amazon (in the U.S.) only recognizes 5 holidays, versus most other companies which I've seen with a minimum of 8 paid holidays).

Your happiness here is directly influenced by the team you're put on. If you don't like your team, you can either leave the company or wait out until the first anniversary of your employment. After one year of employment, you are allowed to switch teams (if you have a good performance review). You might still need to interview with the team that you plan to switch to.

Allow employees to do what it says in their job description. Managers should manage and developers should develop. Increase benefits and perks and address work-life balance issues.

Overworked and low respect.

Former Employee - FC Associate in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - FC Associate in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always had overtime if needed.

Cons

They did not hire within.

Show respect to those under your position. Everyone is needed to make the operations run smoothly.

Slave Drivers....amazonian=robot (kiva)

Former Employee - Inbound/Receive Associate in Robbinsville, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Inbound/Receive Associate in Robbinsville, NJ (US)

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Consecutive 3 day-off schedule, there is always plenty of work, hence O/T opportunities.

Cons

Poor training, you have to figure out everything by yourself. The management tells you "Teamwork", I have helped so many new associates to understand the procedure & trained them, but management have come up to me & said 'My rate is low", I have a written warning. Could you believe it? They tell you "a teamwork is a must" & then they nail you. Of course, they do not give you a credit when you help the other people. They are bunch of idiots!... No work-life balance for 4 working days, compensation is not minimum wage but they push you work to off-limits & they suck your all energy at the end of the day. Walking & standing up (absolutely no sitting) for 11+ hours, too tiresome job, too cold in winter & extremely hot in summer time. Unfriendly, cold-looking, noisy, dirty & dusty work environment. The warehouse setting looks like a modern prison with the exception that males & females together. The management treats you like a number not like a person. They constantly remind you your performance rates through out the day, they play lots of games, all managers are bipolar & have two faces. I have never seen so many tired, cranky, miserable & unhappy workmates together in my life. Obviously nobody likes this job. The management always threaten you that they can fire you in any day. The list goes on & on, just horrible place to work. I am so happy I no longer work here. Indeed, I would like to thank you very much amazon.com & my temp agency ISS to release me from the job (prison), I really appreciate it. You have done a big favor me !... I was luckily separated from this working environment before I have become a permanent disabled person.

Treat warehouse associates like human beings not like robot !.... Stop slave driving just to make your customers happy & your shareholders richer !.... Do not copy "Japanese car manufacturer's warehouse system & their terminology", we are in USA, not Japan!.....Your motto "Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History" should be changed to "Work like a slave, Have exhaustion, Make yourself disabled". You might be No 1 & the most powerful in the e-commerce platform worldwide, but nobody likes you including your employees !....You are just lonely at the top. Watch your back because you have so many enemies.

Just average

Current Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Get to know really smart people. There are a lot of opportunities to switch roles internally.

Cons

Very often dealing with non technical challenges or trivial technical challenges, almost like a contact-center. There is no actual strategy for career development .

Invest more in their employees.

Dog eat dog.

Former Employee - Pack/Stow in Tracy, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Pack/Stow in Tracy, CA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Decent pay, good benefits,
    - Easy to move up into management
    - First come first serve hiring process
    - They'll pay for schooling
    - 401k
    - stocks

Cons

- Everyone's trying to get into the management positions causing intense competition
    - You are constantly being pushed, once you feel like you're going the accepted rate they push the rate up on you
    - Alot of management is straight out of college

Faceless, anonymous corporation where people don't matter at all.

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Software Development in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Software Development in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Challenging problem space, some execs are not complete morons.

Cons

The most annoying part of working at Amazon is how people don't matter at all in this company. You are a number. No one will give a damn about training you, growing you, advancing you. What you do is completely irrelevant. You will be passed over by the cronies of your newly hired director or VP (mistresses, drinking buddies, soccer team mates, etc.). Reviews and interviews are passive-aggressive-driven beauty contests: for your success it is much more important to be "nice" with everyone and not rub anyone the wrong way rather than actually getting something done.
    Management is all hired from outside, almost never promoted from inside. The attrition is ridiculous also because of that.
    The pay and the benefits are such that those able to, leave amazon as soon as the all-cash compensation period is over, especially with a stagnant or declining stock. Those who stick around, tend to be those that cannot go anywhere else, and it shows. In my career I have never seen so many incompetent morons with the title of director or higher, spending all their time and energy trying to defend their position rather than get work done. In two years I had the team produce 100x more lines of useless planning documents that no one read or cared about than actual code.
    The few great people I have worked with were all in the intermediate to low levels and were all leaving or looking around.
    The technology stacks I have worked on were all put together with tape and wire. More than 90% of the resources were spent trying to get the stratified hacks of ten years to keep working rather than creating something new (and it was a mission critical system). The technical leadership is the division was non-existing. There may be some pocket of excellence elsewhere in the company, but after I have seen the shambles the supposed core business is in, I ran for the door at the first opportunity.

Take a good look at your leadership teams and cull the deadweight. Start a policy of fostering growth of the talented employees instead of flushing them when they don't align. Foster technical excellence.

When It's Good It's Good, When It's Bad...

Current Employee - Data Tech
    Current Employee - Data Tech

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers fairly competitive compensation packages, lots of perks, a great environment in which you can learn and grow. Amazon's one of the few companies where a determined employee can really put in the effort, rise up and make a difference IF you're willing to go the distance.

Amazon's pretty lenient on sick days or unexpected events, and works with you. Never had an issue calling out or needing to leave early (for the most part). You can learn a lot, move within the company and they have fairly good benefits package (don't expect an employee discount though, it's pretty much non-existent).

Cons

Amazon has incredibly poor work-life balance. You're expected to work stupid amounts of mandatory overtime (yes, mandatory). Complain, you're told "You signed a legal agreement stating you'd be available." to remind you that, legally, you said you would when you were hired 40 hour work week can easily stretch 60+ hours. Being told that comes off oddly threatening.

Internal documentation is next to non-existent. You can find half a dozen different ways to do the same thing on the internal wiki and all of them contradict each other or are woefully out of date. Ask management for clarification, they tell you to look at the internal documents (see above) or to "do the needful" in order to make it work. You never really quite know if you're violating a policy on something because everything you're told is nebulous. When you bring up the documentation is vague or contradicts itself you're told "we grew too fast". Oh. The rest of it is "tribal knowledge". Hope you've got a coworker that knows what's going on.

Employee reviews are stack-ranked. A certain percentage of employees MUST be put on a PIP (performance improvement plan) even if they have NO issues with this performance. This is severely degrading to employees, and outright kills morale (both for people put on a PIP and those who they're friends with). Having a mandatory policy that X% of employees must be punished come review time kills Amazon's talent pool people. It causes unnecessary disruption, and can affect employees who've had to endure rough periods in their life and come back from them only to find out they're now punished with a PIP and are told their employment status with Amazon is now at risk.

Amazon preaches "frugality" but doesn't follow it. You can literally destroy thousands of dollars of good equipment in order to do your job and nobody bats an eye (it's the "cost of doing business"), but you need to expense something and out come the magnifying glasses.

Documentation. Consistency. Don't just tell employees "You HAVE to do this because you signed a legal agreement." when it comes to overtime. Work with them. Talk to them. We get sometimes we have to rise above as it's part of the job, but when a company with as much Amazon tell us it doesn't have funding, that we're short-staffed but forces us into overtime it kills the vibe and burns employees out. Paychecks are good, but happy employees are better.

Great technology. Poor company culture. Confrontational management philosophies

Former Employee - AWS Territory Account Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - AWS Territory Account Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working as an AWS account manager, you are selling some of the most exciting and bleeding edge solutions in IT infrastructure. Prospects are extremely interested in speaking with you and most customers are ones looking to disrupt their respective businesses by going to the cloud. You are forced to stay up to date on the latest products and enhancements. Also, AWS typically pays well given a qualified background.

Cons

Too many to mention. A good summary:
    -You end up managing your manager when you focus should be on generating revenue
    -Some managers prioritize their own tasks and deadlines over your own customers' priorities
    -Confrontational management: highlights your mistakes and shortcomings in front of other team members. Pits team members against each other by asking what you think of your team members
    -Commission cap: the variable component is limited and accelerators are capped. The bulk of your pay is in salary. Little chance of knocking it out of the park
    -Microsoft + Oracle culture: leadership and senior team members are hired from these companies and therefore all the negative aspects of company culture exist - bureaucracy, stack ranking, managing up, etc.

When you leave Microsoft or Oracle, leave your bad habits behind.

Let sales reps sell. Stop putting your own interests first.

Invest in your team as opposed in expecting them to invest in you.