Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
Employer Engaged

You will live the company motto, "Work Hard. Have Fun. Make History."

Current Employee - Custoemr Service Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Custoemr Service Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the industry there is great pay, strong benefits package, great co-workers, & visionary leadership.

I'm given the opportunity the opportunity to take on new responsibility and grow consistently over the years. I've had the chance to travel, domestically and abroad, a dozen times.

The company gets involved in the community, not as much as I would like to see, but they are good corporate citizens to our area.

Amazon is the truest meritocracy of which I've been a part. Strong performance is rewarded, while poor performance is managed out or to a a better fitting role. There is always some favoritism in every organization, but I've seen the least amount here.

My favorite thing about Amazon is how it really follows it's mission of being the 'Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company." Like the Bible or Constitution, being 'customer-centric' can be interpreted differently by different people, but in my experience, a positive impact of customers, and then employees, is at the forefront of every decision.

Cons

(Con for some) High paced, constantly changing environment. Extremely competitive.

This is not a company where you can be good for a long time and stay where you are. You have to be GREAT, you have to innovate, and you have to challenge yourself, or you will be managed out.

Customers truly come first, but that means employees may come second. Amazon is content with adding more challenges and expectations on employees, if it improves the customer experience. This is fine for a while, but I've seen it wear down many great leaders until they fizzle out.

To be successful and drive change, it is impossible to work 40 hour work weeks. The management group especially has to be incredibly flexible with their schedules, and often work 50 or 60+ hour work weeks. Sr. Leadership speaks against this and says we have to have more work-life balance, but then they delegate more and more work down. I'm doing work that wasn't even performed by my manager's level 2 years ago. In addition to this extra workload, we shy away from hiring junior leaders, so there are fewer capable leaders to carry the operational workload. - This said, I'm a workaholic that appreciates the grind, but it burns others out.

We pride ourselves on growth and launching new things before they are fully prepared so we can learn and continue to iterate new, better installments; however, in my years of experience, the next, new shiny thing comes along for us to launch half-corked and take our resources and time before we fix the base of our previous launch. This creates a campus of poorly constructed projects that take more time to repair than design correctly the first time.

Last, we cherish frugality, and working with a lack of resources does breed innovation, but we never have the developer or business analyst support necessary to drive performance and change. I've scoped projects that will save us ~a million dollars annually, but they are sidelined because 'we don't have dev support available.' Hire the additional $120K a year dev to repair the $1M problem and reap the benefits.

Amazon Tier 1

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility and team working, the teams and people you get to work with are great, you get the chance to work basically any shift pattern and do so many varied jobs.

Cons

A lot of negativity from associates that are not willing to work

The new process to take on new associates needs to be re-looked at, there's a term called 'cherry picking' and through that a lot of temps which managers/leads don't think should get taken on do, and a lot of hard workers get laid off.

Amazon Operationd

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Tremendous growth potential for high performers. The business is growing and dynamic. Provides opportunity for engaged leaders of people and owners of process.

Cons

Highly demanding environment that insists on the highest performance. Amazon is not for the faint of heart.

Empowering your leaders will help the business to grow.

Great Experience

Current Employee - SDE2 in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - SDE2 in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

life work balance, smart ppl

Cons

low value stuff, ever-changing teammate

Christmas hires

Former Contractor - Temporary Employee in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Contractor - Temporary Employee in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

working from home, good interaction with management and colleagues I enjoyed the position helping customers with the queries relating to their orders.

Cons

I would have loved the job to continue unfortunately we were on contract through an agency and the contracts were terminated early without much notice.

Very good company to learn and become a professional

Current Employee - Senior Device Associate in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Device Associate in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly talented workforce
    Friendly managers
    Good ambience & facilities
    Brand value & global exposure
    Updated on latest technologies

Cons

Appraisal process - They're not like other companies where you complete 3 years and move to next level. Amazon's promotion bar is very high and you have to work relentlessly & prove yourself consistently to grow.

But even after doing so much they won't recognize immediately for your contributions. They fix a time frame for your growth and you have to wait for your turn which is frustrating.

I'm impressed

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Good company very safety oriented

Cons

don't allow absences for any reason

It was FAST paced, but a good "workout"; I was a picker.

Former Contractor - Seasonal Customer Service Representative
    Former Contractor - Seasonal Customer Service Representative

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I loved getting paid to workout. I was a seasonal worker for the Christmas season through a temp agency. I was a picker, and I put a pedometer on my hop, and clocked 30,000 steps per night!

Cons

Well, as you could guess with that many steps per night, my knees were starting to hurt some.

Management were very nice. They are attentive and really care about their employees. That's saying alot, since really I was working through a temp agency and not a Amazon employee really.

Best Summer Of My Life

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer I Intern in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer I Intern in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great city to work in, competitive salary, great work experience

Cons

Large company (to me that's a con), very frugal in all but salary

Make sure an interns goals are set before they start working on their project.

Good company to work for.

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Great benefits and culture are good.

Cons

Not any that I can think of.