AmeriCorps

Updated 15 September 2014
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • You get a lot of training that will prepare you for another non-profit or government job (in 22 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The mediocre living stipend is not enough to live on, you have to have another job to support yourself (in 12 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Very rewarding experience while attending college

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA  in  Sarasota, FL (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Sarasota, FL (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely satisfying experiences, great opportunity to help improve local community, ability to work idependently, and offers grants for education

Cons

Working environments can be challenging (in my case, I worked with many children with behavioral problems), compensation is little, and sometimes can get "stuck" without much guidance

Great Learning Experience-- depends entirely on your nonprofit site

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in New York, NY (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned a huge amount in just one year and am much more confident in myself professionally. I was well supported and encouraged at the social service nonprofit where I spent the year, and accomplished a great deal.

Cons

As everyone so far has mentioned, the living stipend is not enough to live on and the benefits are nonexistent. In addition, the online resources for VISTAs are not particularly useful. The organization is vast and bureaucratic, leading me to rely entirely on the nonprofit I was placed with for support rather than Americorps itself. I do recommend Americorps if you have the resources, but be sure that the nonprofit you are going into is prepared to treat you as a de facto employee rather than a "volunteer."

It's not about the money

Former Employee - Site Coordinator  in  Bellingham, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Site Coordinator in Bellingham, WA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You are able to get a great position without having that much experience in the field, training, education award, flexible hours, you are able to take vacation if you make up your hours, health care coverage,

Cons

Stipend is at the poverty level- it's almost impossible to live on the stipend I had to get a second job and I was exhausted because I was working a full time and a part time job.

Increasing living allowances, and make sure non-profits are following the AmeriCorps practices

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

End of service Education Award, Work experience

Cons

Pay, hours, lack of professionalism

Careful where you serve, but great learning opportunity!

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reason to serve as an AmeriCorps VISTA member is the incredible job experience in a nonprofit setting. There is no way that I would have been given such a high level position in such a large organization if I hadn't gone through VISTA. I learned a huge amount about working in a nonprofit and working with volunteers. There are a lot of career growth opportunities and there is a lot of support for VISTAs in most communities.

Cons

The biggest challenge I faced was that I didn't have enough work to do to occupy my time. Often, VISTA supervisors aren't sure exactly what to do with "their" VISTAs, so it may take time to find a rhythm and find your place in the organization. Another con to keep in mind is the low stipend. Technically, you are considered a volunteer, but you do receive a poverty level stipend - usually just enough for you to scrape by wherever you're living. Also, you are not allowed to work a second job or earn money outside VISTA. Be sure to pick your organization carefully when applying, because while there are certainly good positions out there, there are also many that will not result in a good experience.

Get Ready for life to Change

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Excellent experience in Non profit, if you are someone that wants to see change in it the community I would recommend these jobs for you. Its indirect service so you are not as hands on as some non profit jobs.

Cons

Benefits are not the greatest. You are paid almost nothing and expected to have this amazing impact on people but often times you are too stressed about bills and how to pay for things instead of the work that you are doing.

Living stipends should be raised. Especially for those who move out of state to do their americorps service. Or workers should be allowed to have a second job because while we are supposed to "live in poverty" many people in poverty have to balance 2 jobs. Also the fact that a government agency does not have actual insurance does not make sense. Especially for those who live in states that did not extended medicaid.

Dedicating your time to service

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Knoxville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Knoxville, TN (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

Americorps is great way to start post-grad life without making an extended commitment to a company or place. While in Americorps, you qualify for student loan forbearance or are eligible for an educational grant which you can use for furthering your education. In my experience, Americorps will help to set you up with a living situation and roommates.

Cons

You receive an almost unlivable monthly stipend. Also, there is very little direction between Americorps and the site supervisors that manage the programs.

Challenging but fulfilling.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Greenfield, MA (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Greenfield, MA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Changing the world feels good. A good program will also give you great professional development. I'm not sure that I actually *got* really good professional development, but I also wasn't sure what I was looking for. Food stamps are pitched as a pro, however, the con is that you can't get unemployment when your term is up.

Cons

Long hours (sometimes 50hr weeks), low pay (less than 1k a month). Their health plan left a lot to be desired, and I hear it wasn't great even AFTER the ACA changed how we do health coverage. In any event, I went with state indigent health care instead.

I didn't expect to get rich doing AmeriCorps, but I also felt like to some extent, we were overworked beyond my expectations.

AmeriCorps VISTA

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

The VISTA program is great in theory, and if executed correctly in site, could be a very rewarding experience...

Cons

...based on my experience at my site, I'm starting to doubt the practicality of the VISTA's theory of Capacity Building. Basically, I was treated like an intern who was there as free labor.

Lots of work not a lot of pay

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

Help people--lots of opportunities to work in different capacities.

Cons

Lots of work, not a lot of pay, not organized.

More organization!

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!