AmeriCorps Reviews

343 reviews filtered by
3.7
AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community (in 25 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 18 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 12 reviews)

1. Exploitative but still worth it!

Current Contractor - AmeriCorps VISTA
    Current Contractor - AmeriCorps VISTA

I have been working at AmeriCorps as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work experience, the opportunity to work with wonderful people, can lead to more permanent/paid employment.

Cons

Being expected to work long hours and get paid at the poverty level.

Advice to Management

Increase stipend amount, don't tax ed award.

2. Student Tutor

Former Employee - Student Worker in Riverside, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Riverside, CA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Got to be able to work in a very flexible job part time while going to school at the same time. You also get to work with lots of awesome people if you make the most out of the people you are introduced to on the job.

Cons

Working with kids can be an absolute pain. The good thing is that you only have to tutor and anything other than that you don't necessarily have to deal with because you can always ask the teachers and staff to have to deal with any of those issues.

Advice to Management

Although the meeting are helpful it sometimes seems like they are shaming the entire team for those who don't meet their hour requirement. Honestly if you see issues with individual students I feel that it should only have to be brought up with them, not the entire staff.

3. Team Member

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at AmeriCorps as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Working Environment
    Great Cause to work for
    Great Management
    Overall no complaints on my side, was a good experience.

Cons

I really cannot think of many cons, as stated, working here is more for the cause than payment. If you are in need of money, probably not the best place to look.

5. VISTA Volunteer

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

I served with AmeriCorps VISTA from 2012-2013. I had a fantastic experience that I will always remember. People join AmeriCorps despite the cons because they want to help people and make a difference in their community. You can also get the Segal Education Award at the end of your term of service.

Cons

Hard work, long days, low salary.

AmeriCorps VISTA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The amount of experience that you can gain is amazing. You get to really get involved in your community and make a serious impact in just one year. This program also offers an opportunity to network with so many individuals and businesses in the the non-profit sector, political field, etc. for you to advance your career and opportunities following your service term. The education award is a great benefit as well if you are looking to pay off loans or advance your degree!

Cons

There are A LOT of politics, as this is a federally funded program. It can sometimes be very frustrating, but you just have to look past the negative. The pay is very low and is not updated to the actual cost of living across the country, however, you can make it work and really it provides a great budgeting and learning experience if you are looking to get involved with poverty in your career.

7. Loved being an Americorps member

Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Corps Member in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Corps Member in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great teammates and team leaders
    -Learn lots of new skills
    -Explore different parts of the country

Cons

-lots of silly rules and regulations
    -low pay (obviously you are doing community service work)

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the silly rules and regulations.

8. AmeriCorps had a lot of ups and downs-worth it for me, though

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keene, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keene, NH (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Great experience in learning about Non-profits 2) chance to try out future job and know whether you want to pursue this field of practice 3) responsibilities given were awesome for first year member 4) supportive host site--very nice people and I learned a lot from them. A bit disappointed they didn't want to help fund second year.

Cons

1) The hours are insane for the stipend we are paid, which goes by the area you live in. 2) Unfair pay for capital city of North East state--found AmeriCorps members fifty miles away that were paid 1.5 times more than me. Could hardly afford the stipend. 3) We were virtually guaranteed another year of service when we received notice that we were not going to get renewed due to last minute budget negotiations--thanks AmeriCorps National HQ and politicians for making our lives the equivalent of pawns on a chessboard. You showed your true manner in which you value your volunteers--you don't!

Advice to Management

Try living on LESS than the minimum wage and going to work with interns and new employees who are considered "over you" because you are a volunteer. I had my B.S. Degree and volunteers are treated pretty low. I did not have a place to sit for a year--how awkward! Part of the reason our continuation was not funded was also the inattention to detail and time constraints in getting the proposal in by the people in DC--they were essentially AmeriCorps members would had applied post service and gotten some great jobs. Unfortunately, they were HORRIBLE at efficiency and doing the most simple of tasks. My swearing in was delayed several months because they could not do a simple thing like registering me (NorthEast). I applied for a job that was supposed to start in June and it started in September. This totally screwed up my plans for post-graduate work so I scrapped them, only to find out at the 11th hour we were not being renewed. So DC, your people who make reservations for new members and help them are asleep at the wheel (in some jurisdictions) as are the people who apply for program funding and/or process the applications. I can't believe I had to ask numerous times for insurance cards, airline tickets, WHEN I would be sworn in---these people obviously are never evaluated and think they have a permanent deal there. They are the least helpful people, whose year in community service taught them nothing about people skills. Arrogant, spoiled, and in short, my proof is that it took FOUR MONTHS to process my selection and get my tickets out for a swearing in. NEVER reached out to me--made me really, really resent program's uncaring attitude in DC.

9. Community Development

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at AmeriCorps as a contractor

Pros

You get an opportunity to network and a one year exemption for employment with the government.

Cons

The work that you do is severely constrained by your temporary status, age, trust the organization gives you, and the host limitation set forth as part of your contract.

Advice to Management

Get stricter on organizations and people that simply want to dish out their least favorite tasks and treat Americorp Service Members as clerical assistants.

10. Michigan Foreclosure Task Force

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Great Learning experience, Great connections, Felt like I actually helped and made a difference in peoples lives. Nice dividends for school after the fact for my masters degree

Cons

The stipend is very low 12100 per year when I was in hard to live with and it is taxed which reduces the amount you take home. They say you can get state benefits while on it but that is conditional and if you are on any kind of social security program it impacts that. . The award for school is great but it is taxed which means that you end up only really getting about 3/4 of what they promised by the time you are done paying taxes on it.

Advice to Management

Adjust the way the stipend impacts the government programs and if it is going to be so low make it tax exempt. The same goes for the education award.

11. Opportunity Corps Member

Current Contractor - Financial Literacy Specialist in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Contractor - Financial Literacy Specialist in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

State and National programs have higher stipends than Vista and allow for high levels of one-on-one client interaction

Cons

Do the math- working full-time means you are making about half of minimum wage.

Advice to Management

AmeriCorps stipends and education awards should be tax-exempt.

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo