AmeriCorps

AmeriCorps Reviews

Updated Apr 04, 2014

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk

Rosie K. Mauk

Pros:
  • "Non-profit based projects in numerous different states"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Get to give back to the local community"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not paid a wage, but a living stipend which doesn't cover much"
    in 11 reviews
  • "When you do the math it's basically less than minimum wage"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It is what you make of it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Helena, MT (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

ProsTook a year after college as a VISTA to figure out where I wanted to go and what I needed to get there. AmeriCorps provided the responsibility, exposure, and time needed to direct my next steps toward a career. Some graduate schools also provide generous scholarships for volunteers.

ConsOrientation feels misdirected at times, as if they are really trying to get you to drink the kool-aid.

Good experience

New Orleans, LA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

ProsAmericorps was a great experience out of college - I was in the AIDS United program which I really enjoyed and it helped me figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my career

ConsLittle support from Americorps, my program (AIDS United) ended up being defunded, pay is not very good

Advice to Senior Managementraise the pay

Community Service and Education Benefits

Valdosta, GA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor for more than a year

ProsWhat I liked most about working in two different AmeriCorps positions for two years was knowing that I was contributing to non-profit organizations whose goals were to better the community in which I lived. I also received two Segal Education Awards for my two years of service, which amounted to 11,000 dollars; I am now using these education awards to go back to school and help pay off previous student loans. I gained some valuable professional skills during both of my terms of service that I can now apply to my current and future career endeavors.

ConsBecause AmeriCorps operates as a grant to the non-profits its employees are placed with, the pay is fixed and is pretty low salary. Depending on the AmeriCorps program you work under, there are various requirements that must be met for your year(s) of service to be considered "successful." This can include hourly requirements, additional assignments while "off the clock," and/or committing to living at the poverty line (for AmeriCorps VISTA members). All in all, I genuinely enjoyed my time as both a State AmeriCorps Member and as an AmeriCorps VISTA Member.

Served as a VISTA for a year.

VISTA (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

ProsService with a stipend, education stipend at the end of the year of service.

ConsNot much direction from superiors (must be very self-directed), very small stipend without the opportunity to work other jobs makes it difficult to pay the bills.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose mentors / bosses that have more direction.

Leave your mark

Denver, CO (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat way to travel the country, learn some skills, and earn some money for college. Also get paid a modest living allowance

ConsCrammed quarters with 7-11 other young adults.

VISTA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AmeriCorps

ProsGain experience in a field of interest, student loan forbearance, meet people from all over the US, help those in need.

Conshuge financial sacrifice, quality of programs varies greatly

AmeriCorps

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

ProsThis was my first job out of college, so there is not much to compare it with, but this has been a fantastic experience. I had an epiphany about five months into my term, when the project I was in charge of almost collapsed. I realized there was nothing, literally nothing I could do that could get me fired! Basically as an AmeriCorps VISTA, your supervisors will give you tasks they hope are accomplished, but these projects will never be mission critical. For example, they might want to develop partnerships with like-minded organizations so everyone can achieve more together. :) It's a lovely thought, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is social impact, efficiency, and sales--even in a nonprofit, sales (program participants, volunteers, products delivered) are the defining all important goal. Sales are how we achieve funding. Funding keeps the lights on.

The realization that I was basically could not be fired by anyone in my organization gave me a lot of freedom to pursue the projects that added the most value to myself. At the end of the day, this is why I signed up.

ConsIt depends on the non-profit that hires you. I am an advocate of looking on the bright side. So while the company was being mis-managed, and the employees felt the same way, I saw everything as a learning experience.

Amazing experience

Corps Member (Former Employee)
Vinton, IA (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

ProsUnique travel opportunities, constantly meeting new people, doing meaningful work, personal and professional development, new and valuable skills

ConsCan be stressful at times, as would be expected; very limited personal time

Rewarding was Disorganized

Amiercorps VISTA Summer Associate (Former Employee)
Jackson, MS (US)

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

ProsThe experience was very rewarding. I loved coming to work every day to see the young students.

ConsThe program I was in was new so it was somewhat disorganized. Also, some of the older AmeriCorps members I worked with were very unprofessional.

Not Bad

Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt compensates pretty well, and the benefits are nice.

ConsVery stressful, fast-paced and high energy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore incentives to alleviate stress.

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AmeriCorps reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for AmeriCorps CEO Rosie K. Mauk. All 206 reviews are posted anonymously by AmeriCorps employees.