American Airlines

American Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

American Airlines CEO Doug Parker

Doug Parker

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you know how to roll the dice with non-reving(in 135 reviews)

• working with some of the most experienced pilots in the industry, travel benefits(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management is making it very difficult to want to stay(in 20 reviews)

• In order to advance you have to know someone in upper management(in 18 reviews)

A perspective from a prior union member now management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsGood pay if part of the unions.

ConsWell educated proactive employees are mostly kept on entry level management technical positions while Sr. management positions are often shared between legacy employees, and pilots who often do not have the necessary education and technical knowledge to manage an aviation business. Union members salaries are aabout 25% to 50% higer than management while entry level management is required to have 50% to 100% more education and qualifications.

Doug Parker popularity low.

Fleet Service Clerk (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsThe pilots and flight attendants voted heavly to merger the two airlines. They did't like Tom Horton so they took the side which they thought was best for "their own group".

ConsNow they are both complaining . I guess the big checks the pilots and flights got after the merger wasn't enough?

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some real mangers who will run the company like a real corporation.

adventure

ProsGet to travel all over the world

Consthey do not have enough staff at certain positions

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rapid past, fast training, low pay

Sales (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsTraveling is the best perk mostly for family members.

ConsLow pay, few days off, little vacation until you build senority

Advice to Senior ManagementMore attention to employees, better benefit, better compensation

interview

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

Prosgreat experience love the people!

ConsTakes a LOOONNNGG time be patient

Advice to Senior ManagementLove to have the processing time go faster.

Great but then terrible.

ProsI really enjoyed the job and my fellow employees until a new manager arrived. She created a very hostile work environment and management didn't do anything to help. The benefits were good, pay was okay, but not great. I would work for them again, because of the benefits. They do promote quickly if you do a good job and are willing to move. They are good at promoting from within.

ConsFast paced, some things require perfection. Working the ramp can be taxing in severe weather.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to when toxic managers are pointed out. When a whole station complains, consider there may be some validity to the complaints.

AA good place to work

ProsCompany culture and values of the new AA

ConsHectic nature of the industry

Long time flyer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe work schedule is flexible if you are single and low in seniority. You have travel benefits and can go anywhere, but you have to be patient and flexible.

ConsDepending on where you are based in the system; determines how your work experience will be. You can't be a single parent and do this job if you are low on the seniority list because you get paid very little and you are on-call most of the year. You don't have enough rest time on the layovers to enjoy the cities you are in.

Pay is low if you do not have an MBA or if you are not a favorite. Sales tools are VERY limited.

Sales (Former Employee) DFW, TX (US)

ProsGreat people to work with everyday - excellent benefits.

ConsManagement plays favorites - all tools to sell were taken away this year.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees to make business decisions - which is what you hired them for!

Great benefit of travel...other than that blah

Station Agent (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefit of traveling anywhere you want for little or no money at all.

ConsManagement is awful, maybe saw my boss 2 days a week he always pushed his work on agents. Not enough staffing to run operations. Pay is sad compared to the level of security, customer service and manual labor you have to endure. Also to be a gay friendly company they sure will turn their backs on you in a heartbeat if anything happens. They will allow customers to talk to you any kind of way and you are not allowed to remove the person you have to take it. Even if you are assaulted as i was and i stood up for myself and got terminated for it. Complete joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for dedicated hard working employees.

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!