American Airlines

American Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

American Airlines CEO Doug Parker

Doug Parker

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you know how to roll the dice with non-reving(in 133 reviews)

• working with some of the most experienced pilots in the industry, travel benefits(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management is making it very difficult to want to stay(in 20 reviews)

• Finding a way to use the flight benefits as they really don't want you traveling or using your benefits(in 17 reviews)

A perspective from a prior union member now management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsGood pay if part of the unions.

ConsWell educated proactive employees are mostly kept on entry level management technical positions while Sr. management positions are often shared between legacy employees, and pilots who often do not have the necessary education and technical knowledge to manage an aviation business. Union members salaries are aabout 25% to 50% higer than management while entry level management is required to have 50% to 100% more education and qualifications.

interview

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

Prosgreat experience love the people!

ConsTakes a LOOONNNGG time be patient

Advice to Senior ManagementLove to have the processing time go faster.

Long time flyer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe work schedule is flexible if you are single and low in seniority. You have travel benefits and can go anywhere, but you have to be patient and flexible.

ConsDepending on where you are based in the system; determines how your work experience will be. You can't be a single parent and do this job if you are low on the seniority list because you get paid very little and you are on-call most of the year. You don't have enough rest time on the layovers to enjoy the cities you are in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AA good place to work

ProsCompany culture and values of the new AA

ConsHectic nature of the industry

The new American is here!

American Airlines Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsThe family atmosphere is amazing! I have been a flight attendant with American for six months now and I feel truly supported. The flexibility is also wonderful.

ConsThe flight benefits as far as buddy passes are pretty high, and I've worked for three other airlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great for a career

ProsStrong benefits, lots of stability even during merger with another airline.

ConsLimited upward mobility. Management tends to promote unqualified favorites

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more options for upward movement other than transferring across the company

Great benefit of travel...other than that blah

Station Agent (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefit of traveling anywhere you want for little or no money at all.

ConsManagement is awful, maybe saw my boss 2 days a week he always pushed his work on agents. Not enough staffing to run operations. Pay is sad compared to the level of security, customer service and manual labor you have to endure. Also to be a gay friendly company they sure will turn their backs on you in a heartbeat if anything happens. They will allow customers to talk to you any kind of way and you are not allowed to remove the person you have to take it. Even if you are assaulted as i was and i stood up for myself and got terminated for it. Complete joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for dedicated hard working employees.

From US Airways To American Airlines: Feces by any other name would smell as bad

QA Analyst (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

Pros-Benefits are good, that's about it.
    -Flex hours supposedly but god forbid you actually flex your flex hours or use your PTO when it's inconvenient.

Cons-Interviewed and was told lies about culture and management, was told what I wanted to hear, not the truth.

-Culture is bad, nothing really done to bring together the disparate groups within the office environment and the fact that there are numerous groups whose functions are the same who rarely communicate because of THREE different business locations all withing a 3 sq mile area makes little business sense.

-Management doesn't really care about you as a person, so god help you if real life happens to you because your manager most likely won't give two ratbutts and expect you to turn off your emotions like a drone.

-The work is monotonous and they lie in the Interviews; was told they were agile, that culture was fun and engaging and that there was a work/life balance in a ROWE. All lies.

-Salary is an argument if not a battle.

-HR doesn't care about those with American's with Disabilities Act qualifications; pretty much was called a liar and made to jump through hoops to even prove I had a disability regardless of the fact it's pretty much visible and I already HAD diagnosis documents...

-QA department and process is especially is STUPID if not moronic; 20 year old QA department and not even the manager has prior QA experience before this, majority of QA individuals are hired from reservations and have no real understanding of testing, quality assurance or the Agile Process.

-Test/Dev/Client-facing environments do not in any way Mirror each other, internal tools are consistently broken and reporting false statistics. They claim to be an Agile shop but that couldn't be further from the truth, most waterfall shop I've ever seen. They have TFS and as such access to Microsoft Test Manager but still keep their Tests in Excel (is it 1995 again already?) and they are ALWAYS at least 3 months behind.

-Managers play favorites and if they like you it doesn't matter how HORRIBLE you are when interacting with others.

-Everything bad you've ever heard stereotyped about a big company is in action here.

-Jump ship ASAP if you're unlucky enough to get lured into this company

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit letting the government bail you out through funds and mergers and let the corporate economy feel the gap your corpse will leave behind.

Ok if you like living on the road

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAway from home all the time

ConsAway from home all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some of your bonus to the people who run the company

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

A very unorganized company with a large quantity of mismanagement.

Facilities Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK (US)

ProsGreat salary, okay flight benefits if you finish 20 years of service, a large portion of the aircraft are still maintained in the United States unlike other airlines.

ConsBenefits soared through the roof even prior to the government coverage option, very little job security, high management turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably need to establish a bottom-up approach to conducting operations.

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!