American Cancer Society

Updated 22 February 2015
3.1

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 54 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Great group work setting. Positive environment. Hands on work. Great employees. Active work space

Cons

I do not have any cons to share.

None

The American Cancer Society was a nice place to work up until the process of "transformation"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Definitely a worthy cause. Overall great environment. Certainly good benefits. Many good-hearted individuals.

Cons

There is the American Cancer Society pre "transformation" and post transformation. While it is a great thing for a company to remove it's inefficiencies, I think the American Cancer Society's transformation process might have removed it's soul. Time will certainly tell. It is not really clear what innovation or community service it's being done, at least at the local level.

I'm afraid you've through the baby with the bath water.

Rewarding, yet challenging

Current Employee - Community Manager, Relay for Life
    Current Employee - Community Manager, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent pay for the area, great benefits and vacation time

Cons

High turnover, management is not transparent, long work hours, lots of evenings and weekends, fundraising for a 30 year old event is a struggle

less of a work load for community managers, better compensation for the hours put in

Direct Supervisor made job very difficult

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Meeting and establishing relationships with the volunteers

Cons

Always on the road, long days/nights

Senior Relationship Manager

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Great training, teamwork, motivated by the "mission"

Cons

Constant emphasis on raising money, recruiting volunteers, data entry

Provide appreciation for those who are working directly with volunteers, doing data entry

Working for a cause

Former Employee - Shared Services Staff in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Shared Services Staff in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

competitive pay, meaningful work, hard working co workers, excellent time off and other benefits

Cons

none that I can recall

Enjoyed working for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer as a Team Recruiter.

Former Employee - MSABC Team Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Former Employee - MSABC Team Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Part-time 30 hours per week, calling local corporations to find that special person to be the team leader (form company team) have them attend kick-off breakfast, raise funds for breast cancer research. Touching to hear stories from survivors and recently diagnosed patients.

Cons

Need to have events through-out the year to keep people engaged in raising breast cancer awareness.

Need to have more communication with the planning committee comprised of volunteers - BIG disconnect !

ACS is committed to eliminating cancer

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been fortunate to grow my career with this company, starting at the front-line and working my way up through several roles to my current position. Many of the criticisms I've been reading do not reflect my experiences with ACS, which is staffed by some of the kindest, results oriented, mission-focused individuals I've ever known. As with any company, opportunities to advance are not given to you, but must be earned, and you must create opportunities to demonstrate your skills even when those opportunities don't seem to exist. In addition to the positive relationships with colleagues, this company offers excellent benefits. Unlike some, I don't have an issue with CEO pay in general. As one of the largest non-profits, we don't pay our CEO as much as most (though his effectiveness given his salary is arguable). I think you get what you pay for.

Cons

You'll make more money working for a for-profit, though the pay is competitive in the non-profit space. The organization has undergone a tremendous amount of change in the past 4 years (organizational consolidation, multiple department re-orgs) which has led to a sense of aimlessness due to relatively poor communication around larger organizational decisions and current state. In one moment, messages from executives indicate that things seem to be on the rebound, and in the next moment, we're in dire financial straits, which leads to a sense of employee panic about their own place in the org, their job stability, and the overall outlook for the future.

Internal and external communication is a mess. Pay attention to the voice of the employee and implement feedback where you can. I'm excited that a new CEO will soon bring a fresh vision to this awesome brand, and will remind the company's employees, and the world, of all that the American Cancer Society is capable in the 21st century.

Intern

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was very friendly and always helpful. Every event was a success.

Cons

Was not a paid internship. Sometimes they just gave me busy work because there wasn't enough to do. Made many cold calls which helped my customer service skills but it made the day seem to last forever.

If you are going to hire multiple interns, make sure there is enough to be done. You guys really only needed one intern.

American Cancer Society Photos