American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin

John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 31 reviews)

• A few incredibly creative people; salary; benefits; work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 49 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Several decades of knowledge toss aside as waste

Rocks In Backpack - High Plains Division (Former Employee)

ProsLoved the overall benefits while working there. When something came up, you were able to leave and settle up later with little issues.

ConsRestructure was more cleaning house than seeing overall what was needed for organization. Building plane in midair isn't really a good idea. When you build a worthwhile house, you don't start with the roof. Throwing away talent that had been providing for several decades doesn't leave good taste in mouth when all is said and done.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt really would have been nice if you had learned from your initial mistakes during the restructure instead of repeating them over and over again giving other companies access to your great talent pool that knew how to fix problems instead of creating more of them. Calling your support staff rocks in backpack really didn't make us happy, but it really didn't seem to bother you and what you did.

Passionate organization; focus on mission

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Framingham, MA (US)

ProsGreat people to work with internally and externally; very passionate about the mission

ConsVery large nation-wide organization can cause some communication issues

Good Place to Work, Good Mission

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work hours, great people, fantastic mission

Consgoals often unrealistic, upper management didn't consider the problems in the economy, just kept asking people to donate more when they had less

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work!

ProsGreat co-workers, very rewarding experience

ConsManagement does not communicate expectations

ACS is well-recognized in its effort in research, advocacy, and community events to promote cancer awareness.

Special Events Manager (Former Employee) Queens Village, NY (US)

ProsYou get to work with some of the most wonderful people with tons of passions in promoting cancer awareness. Most of them have their personal stories that inspired them to join the fight against cancer. They choose to get involved and contribute one way or the other, and you would want to be surrounded by those positive energy.

ConsCompensation not compatible to responsibilities delegated. Requires lots of evening and weekend work time.

Great experience and grateful for it but disappointed

Hospital Accounts Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsHelping patients was very rewarding as well as the partnerships/friendships you make in the community. Great pay (at the time), excellent benefits, PTO time started at 17 days but I think it starts higher now and increases every few years. My specific position had good work/life balance at the time but it may be different now (since transformation took place).

Cons-Leadership tolerated unacceptable behavior (behavior an employee would've gotten fired for anywhere else if that gives a clue as to what was going on) multiple times by the same employees and volunteer(s) which was disappointing and frustrating especially when that behavior happened in front of patients and caregivers.
    -Lack of communication between departments and clique-y.
    -Wasn't a lot of room to move up and definitely isn't now after transformation.
    -The restructuring process made sense in terms of business but made the work environments difficult and they should have done transformation differently. National leaders kept leading employees on that they would hear important information (i.e. last days) but then they'd change everything at the last minute or not say anything really important at all. Transformation got rid of some good employees and unfortunately kept some bad ones.
    -Some of the goals were impossible to accomplish (statewide, not just where I was).
    -Because of transformation, lots of volunteers, hospitals, and community advocates for ACS were upset with the organization and either stopped supporting them in some way or stopped receiving help which would have a major impact on meeting goals so beware when applying for any positions at this organization, reaching goals may be more difficult than it seems because of things like employees being laid off, bad behavior, past employees leaving and being replaced by someone outside of the community, and suspicion over where the money raised REALLY goes.

It'll take a while for the organization to bounce back from this but I think they do help patients (although most of the help is now coming from volunteers so I wonder what the employees are doing). And again, look into where the money is going. Like a lot of well known non profit organizations, it seems VPs, CEOs, and other leadership get paid hundreds of thousands and usually the public doesn't like that it's money that could be going towards a cure.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't tolerate unacceptable behavior. It costs more than you realize especially when you keep employees who don't want to work but will act like it to managements faces.

Great org, well organized

Special Events Staff (Current Employee) White Plains, NY (US)

Pros- Positive work environment
    - Goals are realistic and achievable
    - If you like talking with people and convincing them to give a Strides event a try, you'll love this job.

Cons- Can be tiring being on the phone all day enticing people into Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.
    - Cold calling businesses is challenging for some.

Advice to Senior Management- Generally doing very well, try to drop fewer last-minute demands on staff.

Great organization, great mission, great people.

Vice President (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsStrong mission focus and commitment to utilizing volunteers in a meaningful way. The organization has proven its value over the years by delivering extraordinary outcomes.

ConsThe organization is currently undergoing a complete reorganization which means management is not focused on key business drivers as much as they are on creating the new operating structure. As a result, fundraising is way down and mission delivery is not as efficient as it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management needs to re-focus itself on stabilizing its core fundraising strategies (Relay For Life, MSABC, Balls & Galas) and hold Department heads and Division leaders who are not achieving results accountable.

Great place to work!

Community Representative (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

ProsWorking with a variety of people all fighting for the same cause.

ConsLong hours due to late night meetings and events. Some weekends required

Great place to start out of college and get your feet wet but get out fast.

ProsThe time off. Once you've been there for a while it becomes hard to leave so do your time and move on. Otherwise, it becomes hard to leave with such a great PTO package.
    The volunteers and the mission are a pro too.

ConsUpper level management. Through the transformation, many have been securing job that don't have the qualifications needed or experience. It's hard to be led by people who haven't earned respect yet.

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!