American Eagle Outfitters

3.5
1,121 Reviews

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 168 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • They even made one girl cry because she "wasn't getting enough credit cards" while she was on register (in 95 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

I love AE

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mandeville, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mandeville, LA (US)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Management, Fun employees, breaks,

Cons

They can do no wrong

Satisfied experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Fun atmosphere to work in. Ability to buy clothing at a reduced rate.

Cons

Was hired as part time employee but they let me go as if I was seasonal.

Have an idea how many people you actually need.

Not bad

Current Employee - Cash Wrap Lead in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Cash Wrap Lead in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts, environment friendly, and rewarding if you get blessed to have an awesome management team.

Cons

Rude customers, and promotions take a lifetime.

Customers take advantage of the return policy. Its frowned upon if you deny a washed, worn and stained item.

Terrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New City, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New City, NY (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discounts were great, free clothes every month

Cons

They want you to continuously be on the customers , bad management , barely any hours

Give more hours , connect more with sales associates

Its not about being good at the job necessarily, just appearing so and being well liked by management

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

40% discount, sometimes you get free merchandise based on your sales performance

Cons

Within the first three weeks of employment, its decided whether you'll be a full or part time employee. If you're part time, as was I, expect anywhere from 1 to 20 hours a week if there is a new floorset coming up. Its extremely insulting. They will give out no hours, but in the meantime they are still hiring. I heard the managers laughing about whether or not an employee would show for the one hour they'd scheduled her for that week. Its retail, sure, but I expect better. Also, credit cards and rewards cards are the biggest deal, sell these and you're golden, which is why I see managers teaching associates to trick customers into rewards cards. We're a factory outlet, with a slightly different system of things, so by asking an existing rewards customer to 'update' their information you're really resigning them up for one, which becomes an issue for the customer later when you're looking them up at the register and don't know which of their five cards to add their points to. Pretty scummy.

Great benefits, but need to switch up the tasks!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work at if you love their clothes and you're super outgoing. This is my first retail job and I think it's a good place to earn job experience especially if you're in high school. I'm not sure about other stores but my store only hired a FEW people in high school and the rest are in college, so make sure you do your best at the interview if you're in high school! I was only hired for Black Friday but I got shifts during winter break and they decided to keep me around! The hours are great and the discount is awesome : 60% off new floor set, 40% everything! and 20-25% off sale items. I love my co workers and everyone's really nice, people that work here aren't hired based on looks, race, or anything. If you're super talkative and not afraid to talk to strangers, this is the job for you!

Cons

They usually put someone in the same zone for a very long time, again this may just be my store but I'm usually out on the greet for 4-5 hours before they move me. This makes it more difficult for me to push reward cards and credit cards. I have to great every single customer (seriously), and one time my manager even called me out for not greeting someone when I did because he didn't hear me. They also really want us to push credit cards and rewards cards, "one reward card per hour" and a credit card a day. This is easier for the cashiers though.

Selling rewards cards and credit cards shouldn't be the priority. This makes it difficult to enjoy my job!

Sales Associate

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Great work environment, understanding of strengths as a sales associate

Cons

Success can depend on store location and traffic

Stockroom

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Fun, great people, flexible hours

Cons

Too focused on numbers

Working at American Eagle was a great Start at retail Experence!

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in West Palm Beach, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in West Palm Beach, FL (US)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They push you to work the hardest gain the most rewards. Step by step on how to interact with customers, 60% off Associate discount, Seasonal hours

Cons

Management is poor and disorganized.

American Eagle Outfitters Photos