American Eagle Outfitters

American Eagle Outfitters Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein

Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 129 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • For one the poor sales associates hours are based off of how many credit cards they get (in 80 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

I would recommend

Merchandise Planner (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsFun atmosphere. Good pay relative to cost of living.

ConsWork can be extremely stressful at times and employees tend to be over worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much micro management. Leadership team doesn't understand the work load implications of some of the last minute decisions that they make.

Amazing, Fun, Face-Paced Environment with awesome opportunities for growth!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsAmerican Eagle is probably one of THE best retail stores to work for. I was privileged enough to work with an AMAZING team who loved to have fun, but did their jobs EXTREMELY well. We were one of the company's top performing stores and as such, we constantly featured exclusive trial products, emphasized customer service and simply lived the AEO motto, "Live Your Life." Being here was probably one the most memorable experiences I've had during my working career. Absolutely loved it!

ConsAlthough I have a positive view on everything AE, there was one negative, as with retail in general, and that would be the lack of guaranteed hours. Hours MAY sometimes be based off how many credit cards one may get a customer to signup for. If people weren't so credit weary, then it'd be an easy sell. However, in my case they were. I excelled in increasing UPT or Units per Transaction to increase sales and meet daily target goals but credit was a tough sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are amazing! You put so much effort into making the store and people's experiences great! It was awesome getting to work for you all!

Working in retail can be fun

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThis company is great with part time hours and flexibility. You win free items. You receive from 40% to 80% off your on purchases. A pretty easy job .plus you do get recognize for your accomplishments.

ConsSeems that it's no way moving up in the company unless you have a degree or move to a another store. Some first time employers have bad experience with this employer mines was also but my second store I'm at was/is wonderful. Your mangers are mostly telling you a thousands things to do and you'll wonder when are they going to do some work. SOME of them...

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you guys for making your staff feel great. But some of you need better work ethic besides telling us all what to do when you could be helping cause we came to work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good growth opportunity

Store Manager (Current Employee)

Prosgreat benefits, generous discount, great development and growth opportunities, good open door policy, great coworkers, pretty good compensation.

not too much micromanaging, you really get to the run the business (based off the companies guidelines) and can feel free to make business decisions based on your judgement.

Conswork-life balance can be tough, as it is in any retail management job. the payroll they expect you to work with is pretty tough.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to listen to what field level associates have to say

Great Atmosphere, Poor Planning

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

Prosfun, benefits, awesome discount, tons of contests for associates

Consno payroll, they expect too much from one person in 8 hours.

Good part time job to have

Sales Associate (Current Employee) State College, PA (US)

Prosdiscount on clothes is amazing. also they do many contests and give away free items, denim experts/stylist can choose 3 items for 80% off per floorset up to $44.95, and each floorset has a list of items for 60% off. standard discount on other items/gifts for friends/family is 40%, and and additional 25% off clearance or promotional prices such as buy one get one free.

The work itself is pretty easy and enjoyable. AE likes to recognize employees for accomplishments and make their associates feel awesome for doing a good job at something.

ConsShort hours, sales associate is a part time position, and at least at my store the only full time positions were managers. As our store had so few managers, there is was very little to no room for advancement. The pay was minimum wage, so combined with 4-5 hours shifts a few days a week not a job you can pay the bills with.

A lot of interactions with different people

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsFun co workers. Fun environment

ConsHours are long or get past closing time multiple times

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter scheduling

Excellent Opportunity for growth with an established company

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Troy, MI (US)

ProsThe lines of communication to all levels of management and corporate contacts were always open. As an employee I always felt supported by my supervisors. A majority of hiring/promotion occurred within the company and worked as an awesome incentive for employees at all levels to give their best.

ConsConstant hiring was encouraged and rewarded, even when established part time associates we leaving the company due to lack of available hours. When there were issues with store level management they had to be addressed at a much higher level than necessary because they were often given carte blanche by district and regional management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe assumption that your store managers are "always right" can lead to an abuse of power and unacceptable treatment of associates.

Simple work, simple pay, nice environment

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsCoworkers are amazing, extremely supportive of new employees, nice benefits, always room for advancement.

ConsCustomers can be very rude, and managers can be upset if you cashier and can't get credit.

Very positive Place to work

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Hazelton Mills, PA (US)

ProsThe culture is great. the Pay is good as well.

ConsThe breaks are very short as to the distance the you must travel to get to the break room.

Advice to Senior ManagementLonger breaks

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!