www.ae.com

Updated 21 October 2014
3.4

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 144 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours MAY sometimes be based off how many credit cards one may get a customer to signup for (in 92 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Love my store, hate corporate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Carbondale, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Carbondale, IL (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Managers at my store are always amazing. They were always OK with days off, understanding about emergencies, friendly, never talked down, were willing to teach me anything I needed to learn, free with reference letters, and just all around amazing people. I don't think I could imagine a better set of managers. The incentives during the summer and holiday seasons were always amazing as well. I would win anything from free jeans, to jewelry, to cups, to any item under a certain price.

Cons

One of the main challenges was with the upper management, aka district managers and higher. They were never friendly when they came, always talked down, and seemed like they just wanted to scare us. They even made one girl cry because she "wasn't getting enough credit cards" while she was on register. They also have a tendency to say that they're coming, but never show up.

Upper management: I would just say to get to know your employees. You will go so much farther and your stores will perform so much better if you associates think that you're rooting for them, instead of trying to scare them or get them fired.

A great place to start to get retail experience.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Montclair, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Montclair, CA (US)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros of working as a sales associate would be the discount employees would receive on clothing.

Cons

Not getting enough hours during the week.

As a previous employee at AE, I must say it has been by far the best retail job I have worked. I have worked at quite a few retail stores in my years of retail, and AE is just the greatest thus far.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Stylist/Jean Expert in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time

Pros

The management team was by far the best reasons to coming into work everyday. AE was my second home. I could leave late at night and want to return so early in the morning with a smile on my face. Andrea Davis, the store manager made my days very memorable working at AE. Also, the atmosphere and my workmates fall second to making AE an amazing store. Everyone was so upbeat and positive constantly! Everyone motivated each other to work harder and strive to be the greatest employees to provide exceptional customer service.

Cons

The only challenges to working at AE is within thyself. There was always room for improvement and you could only get better at your job. The challenges I faced were within myself, just learning to push myself harder, and have more faith in my work ethics.

Andrea Davis was the best choice to be put as Store manager at American Eagle at the Markville Mall. If it were not for her today I would not be where I am now. I worked at AE for about almost a year and in that short time span I drastically changed and became a much stronger sales associate. I am now working in the gift shops on board Holland America Line as a sales associate and some of the tactics being used on board I am already familiar with them from AE. AE definitely prepared me a whole lot and I could not have asked for anything else. I will never hesitate to going back to working at AE, especially under Andrea Davis.

Great first job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jamestown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jamestown, NY (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great workplace environment, friendly employees and managers, great company beliefs

Cons

No perks for getting loyalty, low pay for part time employees

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous in Webster, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Webster, MA (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Outgoing and personalized company. Very customer focused.

Cons

The pay as an associate is bare minimum.
    The hours are barely reaching the time able to take a break.

Definitely up the hours.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Always ahead of the curve in new technology and great discount.

Cons

Pay is low for the level of dedication that is expected of part timers.

Promote from within all the way up the ladder. Corporate managers with store experiences will benefit greatly.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in East Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in East Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great staff and company. Discount is amazing!

Cons

Annoying week-by-week schedule and getting a sub can be tricky.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

fun, friendly, great way to learn to work with all kinds of people. If you show that you want to work, management usually will notice and it will be easy to get more hours if you want them, just be friendly and busy when you work.

Cons

some of the hours are random, if any at all for the week depending on your location. management tends to change alot

be friendly and nice to your workers, show respect if you want them to work hard for you.

American Eagle Outfitters

Current Employee - Administrative Service Clerk/FedEx in Warrendale, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Service Clerk/FedEx in Warrendale, PA (US)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I like to working at a fast pace working environment which American Eagle Outfitter is,. I like conversing with the employees at American Eagle Outfitters to complete their objective and help train the co-worker in the Warrendale mail room so they can do their work better. Working on the computers to updating information since their is only 2 people currently employed at the Warrendale facility and also I like doing the international and domestic FedEx work.

Cons

There is no challenges at American Eagle Outfitters

My experience was very positive, I was able to grow here and take on high responsibility in a fairly short amount of tim

Former Employee - Art Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Art Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-1/2 day fridays in the summer, great vacation
    -travel
    -ability to get as involved as you want to make what you want happen
    -full benefits, 401K match 100%, good health & dental & maternity leave
    -tend to promote from within

Cons

-quick turnover
    -conflict in leadership which in turn leads to spinning & confusion with direction
    -main office in pittsburgh
    -not a good life/work balance
    -tend to promote from within people not vetted for company

American Eagle Outfitters Photos