American Greetings

Updated 3 August 2014
Updated 3 August 2014

American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss
Zev Weiss

Pros
  • Job Flexibility, Work Life balance, Lunches and organized events within the company (in 9 reviews)

• flexible hours, on your own, and if you love organization then this is the place for that (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Most upper management positions are held by individuals who have been with the company 20 (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of senior management promoting growth and innovation, but the business itself does neither (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Work hard for no pay especially during peak seasons

Current Employee - PT Merchandiser
    Current Employee - PT Merchandiser

I have been working at American Greetings part-time

Pros

Usually pretty chill and co-workers are friendly

Cons

The pay, and those who have been with the company make very small increases for their annual raises.

Pay people what they deserve, minimum wage is for the birds.

American Greetings

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at American Greetings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Creative environment, interesting content, fun coworkers! Lots of opportunities to be involved in projects outside of your role.

Cons

Pay is not great. Procedures change frequently so you're always learning a new system or protocol, but bigger, more important issues take a long time to change. Some leadership changes need to be made.

Step up your pay scale to attract, and keep, top talent. Survey employees about manager satisfaction and then think hard about what they have to say and how things could be improved.

Database Administrator

Current Employee - DB2 Database Administrator  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - DB2 Database Administrator in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at American Greetings full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This company is a place where your qualifications can make a difference.
    Very good team and management.
    The company is on its way up with 400+ million $ it investment on IT Projects in the last 5 years.
    Good Paymaster.

Cons

Located in Cleveland which has bad winters.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for, great co-workers, good place to get a wide range of experience

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at American Greetings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work/life balance, co-workers who are collaborative and a joy to work with, immediate supervisors/managers who are truly engaged and willing to give opportunities for development in keeping with my interests and professional goals. Excellent place to get a range of experience working on all kinds of projects.

Cons

They have gone through a number of layoffs over the last few years. The recent changes look promising that the company may be finding it's direction and structure.

Keep with the recent focus on more communication and transparency.

Victim of the 20+ year employment purge

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at American Greetings full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Exposure to work with some really good knowledgeable people. Stable job environment if you are not ambitious.

Cons

Nepotism. Managers that are silo driven and not corporate driven. Employees with 20 years of company tenure are often purged due to pay scale and benefits. Some positions do not offer transferrable skill sets.

Need to show loyalty to long-term proven employees.

PTM

I worked at American Greetings part-time

Pros

Pick most of the time when you work.

Cons

Stuck in the dark ages, low pay rate.

First years were somewhat exciting, but after that time, the job became dead end with no prospects.

I have been working at American Greetings full-time

Pros

Great location, ok salary, earned flexibility, weekly pay, extra off days for holidays.

Cons

The company aspires to be a Google of social expression products but in reality it is going in similar direction as Kodak Eastman.......
    The company is not managed properly. The business struggles because, management is close-minded. Directors, managers, supervisors do not always have the best interest of the company as their goal. Internal competition between departments is disrupting work flow. Employees are numbers not people. A lot of the business is being moved to China.

Change the culture of the company and never stop looking for other opportunities.

Only got this job to make it through the winter and am applying for other jobs daily to escape this place.

Current Employee - PT Installer - Special Projects  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - PT Installer - Special Projects in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at American Greetings part-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers on my crew work well and get along together for the most part. Other than that, not many pros during my time here so far.

Cons

Upper management has ZERO idea on how to schedule the revisions or build display racks. I think when they figure out scheduling, they just have a map and throw darts at it to decide the order and locations of our next store.

Most of the time, we have a job in our area but next day we have to drive hundreds of miles to get to the next revision then be hundreds of miles in the opposite direction from our home the next day. Some days we work 4 hrs, others it turns into a fiasco of 14 hrs or more and gets very stressful to meet time limits of our schedule and the store managers we deal with.

90% of the time we are missing parts (or they are severely damaged) and have to "McGyver" the card racks and displays with random or on-site custom built parts and a whole lot of ingenuity.

They need to pay installers and merchandisers a living wage so there's less turn-over. Nothing's more frustrating than having to constantly stop what you're working on to train someone new everyday or week while you are trying to get your job done quickly end efficiently.

We have about a 50/50 shot at having a dumpster delivered before we get to our next job site. Sometimes we have to remove the old displays, separate the metal from the plastic, stack them on pallets and wrap it all up. Then we're expected to come back to break those apart and throw it in the dumpster whenever it finally arrives days later all while trying to get to your scheduled store that night on time.

And last but not least, they have a very strange way to input your hours. It's a SharePoint application that is so screwed up, you are lucky if you can even log in at all.

Good luck to anyone wanting to work here because in the division of AG I work at, it's a disaster. To partially quote Forrest Gump... "It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

Implement the LEAN system during revisions... actually it should be implemented company wide to save time, money, jobs and headaches from our end. Make Area Supervisors be on-site when we do revisions to get a better understanding of the work, time and problems we encounter everyday. I'm sure they can make this happen because it seems like they have a massive amount of supervisors all either passing the buck to the next guy down or ignoring our concerns altogether.

TRS / PTM

Current Employee - TRS/PTM  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - TRS/PTM in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at American Greetings part-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible schedule, truly just a part time job

Cons

No growth opportunity unless willing to relocate, doesn't promote from within, required to work day after major holidays

Since the PTMs and TRSs are the backbone of your compnay, trying paying a decent wage and providing growth opportunity for those whose interested. Strongly consider have upper management actually work in the field to achieve a better understanding of these positions.

Easy workload, yet too stressful for a greeting card company.

Current Employee - Key Holder  in  Westminster, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Westminster, MD (US)

I have been working at American Greetings part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy workload, friendly customers, 45% off discount

Cons

District managers are absolutely ridiculous. The company is struggling to keep afloat and is blaming the lowest form of employees for their inability to attract customers. District manager is a bully.

Calm down.

Worked for American Greetings? Contribute to the Community!