Amyris

www.amyris.com

Amyris Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Amyris – Emeryville – “Office Wall - Sharks with Friggin Lasers!”

John Melo

Great science and lots of work to do and to learn

Scientist I (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA (US)

ProsI had to know great people who are doing great science. Amyris is something between industry and academia. Since most people over there, have their first job after the postdoc or grad school, the learning culture is in the air.
    People work long sometimes but it is not crazy.

They have 3 days free lunch, Friday happy hour and Monday breakfast.

ConsAs a contractor, I had issues with how the company decided to renew my contract and the end to end my contract. Till the last minute, nothing was really clear.
    At the time I was there, we had to write monthly report every month as well as weekly update which I found it too much!
    There are many meeting sometimes that can affect how things can be done.

Pushing innovation beyond science.

MBA Summer Internship (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA (US)

ProsStartup environment. Provide sustainable solutions to areas where the current solutions are not sustainable. Great place to work. Great staff.

ConsCompany still in development stage although had an IPO 3y ago.

A confused place to work. Too many products, too many goals. No set direction/path.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA (US)

ProsSome people are nice to work with. Great perks for employees.

ConsI have never seen any Company except Amyris that has so many Managers and Directors, and most of these people are not even appropriate for the roles. Management lacks communication, projects lack execution. Unnecessary tight deadlines, and inefficiency created by the management, requires people to work long hours, holidays and weekend. Poor and sad place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher managers is not the solution to every problem. The key is to retain staff, and people hard working people happy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people but VC-led with no market experience

Business (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA (US)

ProsCulture and people are awesome. Great perks and supportive colleagues that you can talk turkey with and have a few beers

ConsClassic example of VC-led company. Low in operations experience/execution and understanding of product verticals. Some people are VERY political

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has already been shaken up a bunch. VCs (John Doerr) are trying to maintain their reputation so I presume they'll just keep financing their way to a John Doerr exit that's not too much of a blemish

Awesome culture

Associate Scientist II (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA (US)

ProsGreat health benefits, young and vibrant tight knit culture of learning

ConsAs with any company moving from R&D to a self-sustaining manufacturing company there are some bumps and growing pains leading to the constant feeling of instability

was better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospeople, the science, opportunities to work in different department if you have the time

Consmanagement was poor and not honest about the status of the company

Difficult Industry Creates Difficult Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA (US)

ProsThey take care of their employees with good benefits, perks, and very nice facilities. For certain roles in R&D, there are plenty of exciting challenges to work on.

ConsThe culture has suffered from lots of turnover and and slow and painful "growing up" phase of the company since its arguably premature IPO. The culture that was a major selling point has disappeared with the departure of the founders. Sales, marketing, and G&A roles face challenges with constantly changing priorities and lots of politics as talented people try to protect their turf.

Passionate people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA (US)

ProsPeople here really care about making a difference in the world. There are a lot of smart people that are genuinely fun to work with.

ConsManagement does not provide enough leadership or have enough technical expertise in the relevant areas.

Biotech company with lots of potential

Associate Scientist II (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA (US)

ProsAmyris has lots of talented scientists and engineers who are passionate with R&D

ConsUpper management who are unfamiliar with technology set up impossible goal based only on economic calculation.

Great science, very poor management, too top heavy

(Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers are top notch. The Associate Scientists/RAs are all hard-working and fun to be around. The lab scientists and project leaders are some of the most intelligent, creative, and hard-working people I've met. Just brilliant. Benefits are decent, trying to stay on par with many other tech startups in the area.

ConsThe company retains way too many managers. Many high-level employees are bad at their jobs, many are quite unproductive, and some positions are even redundant. They command large salaries for being good at snaking up the ladder and not advocate for their workers. When layoffs happen, it is almost all salary-cheap, diligent RAs/lab scientists that are forced to leave. The ratio at one point was practically 2 managers to every 1 lab employee. The company shows no loyalty to those who have saved the business through innovation before. Prepare for the pharma treatment.
    Upper management is completely disconnected from the science. There is large amounts of politics and dishonesty involved in major decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to trim the fat, start higher up the chain. Most importantly, stop selecting for dishonest, selfish, overly-aggressive yes-men/yes-women to be promoted to directors and such. Look for those who have strong technical understanding of the science, advocates his/her employees, gains the trust of those they work with, and develops the talent of the company.

Worked for Amyris? Contribute to the Community!