Analysis Group

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Economic Consulting

Analyst (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking alongside focused, intelligent, and diligent economic minds. Many opportunities to develop programming, statistical, model building skills. Excellent introduction to big data.

ConsAt its best, it's fascinating work from the meta (economic theory, major industry players, precident setting litigations) to the minutia (modeling development, programming, document reviews). At its worst, it's long hours of rather droll work.

Well-Run Company

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Analysis Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEmployees are smart, interesting people that I enjoyed having as colleagues. Management is great and treats employees very well. Training for new employees is very good and I learned a lot from working there.

ConsWhile the day to day work was very enjoyable, there was not a huge positive societal impact. Also, hours could sometimes be high, but I found them to be overall reasonable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Great place to work with very intelligent economists/statisticians

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Analysis Group full-time for more than a year

ProsVery smart people, experts in economics, kind atmosphere, intellectually stimulating work, great place to learn statistical modeling and programming, high profile clients, lots of work and room for expansion

ConsThey say that there is a lot of freedom to try projects in different industry areas, but in reality that is quite difficult to do. Unlike the bigger consulting firms, there isn't a strong people operations function/team that coordinates project choice and flow among analysts and associates to ensure that people enjoy their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in the culture of the firm and in people operations. Conduct happiness surveys to gauge how employees feel.

It was great

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Analysis Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat compensation, smart people, and the company cares about you

ConsWork can get repetitive, working with lawyers is painful

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people more variety of work

Econ consulting meat grinder; not as advertised

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Analysis Group full-time for less than a year

Pros-Low expectations. If you are technically skilled, you will stand out here. There aren't a lot of econometric heavyweights at AG. Writing skills also help.
-Genuinely friendly staff. Everyone is willing to try to make you feel welcome.
-Nice location in downtown Boston.

Cons-Exceptionally boring casework. Little to no skill in microeconomics or econometrics required. Cookie-cutter, meat-grinder analysis.
-Poor ethics. I was asked on several occasions to use inappropriate econometric methods to advance a position that was favorable to clients. This sounds innocuous, but in this industry, advocacy is not acceptable.
-Boston-centric. Very small firm presence outside of New England. Many offices but all the staff is in Beantown.
-Limited accountability. AG has a lot of lifers. Talent is not rewarded and failure is not punished.

Advice to Senior Management-Listen to your analysts. They don't lie.

Great company in a challenging industry, with some growing pains

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Analysis Group full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are incredibly smart, friendly and collaborative - some of the best colleagues I've ever had the pleasure of working with. They've done a great job on the hiring front by filtering out people with outsized egos.

ConsThe nature of the industry makes it nearly impossible to maintain a healthy balance between work and life. The clients are mostly lawyers whose schedules are at the whim of the very whimsical US legal system, and consequently so are the folks at Analysis Group.

The staffing model is a little unusual for a consulting firm, and while it may have served the company well at a lower headcount, it doesn't seem to have scaled very effectively. It's increasingly difficult for new people to overcome entrenched working relationships and seek new/interesting work opportunities within the firm. This makes a new hire's initial case team placement a crucial decision which, unfortunately, he/she has little input on.

Challenging work for bright and motivated people.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Non-hierarchical. If you have great ideas then people want to hear them.
- Dedicated professionals who care about delivering a quality product.
- Senior management recognizes achievements large and small
- Good mix of quantitative and qualitative analysis. AG excels at developing rigorous quantitative analyses and communicating them in ways that are accessible to people without the same level of quantitative expertise.
- The work is relevant, important, and challenging.
- The company has grown every year in recent memory, including during the financial crisis.

Cons- The obvious downside to working on challenging projects is that they sometimes require long hours or work on weekends. While this job certainly isn't 9-to-5, I don't know of many intellectually challenging jobs that are. The upside to the occasional late night or weekend is that senior management is generally quick to recognize when people go above and beyond.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide opportunities for bright and motivated young professionals to take on responsibility and ownership of large and important projects.

Top-notch reputation and quality; great people

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHigh expectations combined with a culture of genuinely nice colleagues who go out of their way to pitch in and who are invested in you personally. Theme is "if we're all in this together, let's make this as pleasant as possible for each other." Firm continues to gain national prominence and is growing rapidly.

ConsSometimes long, unpredictable hours, but it's the same as with all client-driven industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the firm continues to grow rapidly, senior management needs to continue to invest in the AG culture.

Great place to work for a few years after college

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting work and smart people

Conslong, unpredictable hours with low bonus compared other consulting. A lot of workplace politics. Some senior management are clueless at leading.

Lot to learn

Analyst (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time for more than a year

ProsHigh standards, good company to start career with

ConsNo growth for B.S/M.S candidates, no work/life balance

Worked for Analysis Group? Contribute to the Community!

Analysis Group – Why Work for Us?

Since 1981, Analysis Group has provided outstanding client service to North America’s top law firms, Fortune 100 companies, and government agencies. Our work is grounded in the principles and practices of economic… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Analysis Group reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Analysis Group CEO Martha S. Samuelson . All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Analysis Group employees.