Aon

Updated 21 November 2014
3.3

Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case
Greg Case

Pros
  • There is okay work life balance just depending on who you work under in the company (in 29 reviews)

• Depending on position, flexible schedules or work from home opportunities are great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Do the right thing always but sometimes work life balance can be a challenge (in 8 reviews)

• There is very little room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A good place for work/life balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clean and good working environment

Cons

Not many opportunities for growth

Overall, generally not a positive experience

I worked at Aon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good training opportunities as the company really encourages professional development and supports charity/volunteer days

Cons

salary reviews would be promised but would not come to fruition. There was also inconsistencies with remuneration within the team and we were always expected to do more with less resources to try and further cut costs

employees need recognition for their hard work from time to time so they need to invest more in employees as an asset

Long hours and low compensation

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy to move around within the organization

Cons

long hours but the pays are not so good

pay more

Aon- are your employees your biggest asset?

Former Employee - Account Broker in Sydney
    Former Employee - Account Broker in Sydney

I worked at Aon

Pros

I was lucky to end up with a great team that was very supportive, although there were many teams I would have dreaded to work in.
    Aon does provide great training, including online training as well as paying for external courses. I am also impressed with their support of charity organisations.

Cons

Expected to work long hours and required to do work greater than my job description without receiving fair pay.
    I was also aware of new employees with less experience who were receiving higher salaries than me and others with more experience. Management also seemed unreasonable when attempting to negotiate a payrise, continuing to promise that it will be looked into in 3 mths or 6 mths, before being told the same thing when that period ended.
    There's only so long a company can propose that their employees are their greatest asset, until those employees will want to see something more than promises.

If employees are important, they really need to be paid more! Keep up with the industry to ensure that you are paying in-line with the Market rates and it's important to ensure that new employees are not getting paid more than your existing, loyal employees.
    Also, if an employee comes to ask about a pay rise, don't make empty promises!!

Professional

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Aon as an intern

Pros

Great opportunities to candidates and great career

Cons

office, not much to say

N/a

Good Company

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with the company for just over 2 years. I love how the company provides good benefits and that we are a client first focused firm. I like how you are exposed to different career opportunities that will help you grow professionally and personally.

Cons

I do not have many cons about the company. The one con that I can think of is that it is a bit frustrating is to get things approved in order to move forward to get something done....in all fairness this is very common in very large global corporations.

Good Experience, Good Benefits, Culture is Lacking

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits here were great. I really enjoyed my team and the people I worked directly with.

Cons

The office culture is very fragmented. There is no sense of community, people are there to do a job, and if that job is not going to interact with your job, you'll probably never really get to know that person.

The more you invest in your employees and demonstrate how valuable they are, the more invested they will feel in the business.

Worked for the company for 8 years.

Former Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is plenty of room for advancement if you work hard. They provide competitive salary and benefits packages with a matching 401K.

Cons

The management is somewhat out of touch with employees and don't really care about them - they're all just a number. No work/life balance and you are consistently expected to do more with less.

Focus more on your employees and a little less on the bottom line.

Best Company I Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with smart, capable people who work hard for their clients; strong focus on developing talent; love the increased attention on engagement, and positive marketplace reputation.

Cons

Compensation is just OK, could be more progressive. Some complain of poor management, which I've experienced in the past, but I have a great manager now, and I see how Aon is trying to improve the consistency of performance management across the board. We could also do better in recognizing leaders, but I also see we are starting a new program for that as well!

Keep up the momentum on engagement, improve compensation and help make cross functional career mobility easier. That should help keep the competition from poaching our folks!

I like it

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employer with strong brand, massive resources and global reach, all of which help employees delight the clients.

Cons

The company is so big, it is difficult to see a route through the forest for personal development and career growth.

Prospects for career growth underlie performance and sales targets.....if they don't know where they are going, how can you expect your team to follow you?