Aon Reviews

Updated 29 October 2014
3.2

Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case
Greg Case

Pros
  • There is okay work life balance just depending on who you work under in the company (in 29 reviews)

• Depending on position, flexible schedules or work from home opportunities are great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Do the right thing always but sometimes work life balance can be a challenge (in 7 reviews)

• There is very little room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A good place for work/life balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clean and good working environment

Cons

Not many opportunities for growth

Overall, generally not a positive experience

I worked at Aon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good training opportunities as the company really encourages professional development and supports charity/volunteer days

Cons

salary reviews would be promised but would not come to fruition. There was also inconsistencies with remuneration within the team and we were always expected to do more with less resources to try and further cut costs

employees need recognition for their hard work from time to time so they need to invest more in employees as an asset

Long hours and low compensation

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy to move around within the organization

Cons

long hours but the pays are not so good

pay more

Aon- are your employees your biggest asset?

Former Employee - Account Broker in Sydney
    Former Employee - Account Broker in Sydney

I worked at Aon

Pros

I was lucky to end up with a great team that was very supportive, although there were many teams I would have dreaded to work in.
    Aon does provide great training, including online training as well as paying for external courses. I am also impressed with their support of charity organisations.

Cons

Expected to work long hours and required to do work greater than my job description without receiving fair pay.
    I was also aware of new employees with less experience who were receiving higher salaries than me and others with more experience. Management also seemed unreasonable when attempting to negotiate a payrise, continuing to promise that it will be looked into in 3 mths or 6 mths, before being told the same thing when that period ended.
    There's only so long a company can propose that their employees are their greatest asset, until those employees will want to see something more than promises.

If employees are important, they really need to be paid more! Keep up with the industry to ensure that you are paying in-line with the Market rates and it's important to ensure that new employees are not getting paid more than your existing, loyal employees.
    Also, if an employee comes to ask about a pay rise, don't make empty promises!!

Best Company I Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with smart, capable people who work hard for their clients; strong focus on developing talent; love the increased attention on engagement, and positive marketplace reputation.

Cons

Compensation is just OK, could be more progressive. Some complain of poor management, which I've experienced in the past, but I have a great manager now, and I see how Aon is trying to improve the consistency of performance management across the board. We could also do better in recognizing leaders, but I also see we are starting a new program for that as well!

Keep up the momentum on engagement, improve compensation and help make cross functional career mobility easier. That should help keep the competition from poaching our folks!

I like it

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employer with strong brand, massive resources and global reach, all of which help employees delight the clients.

Cons

The company is so big, it is difficult to see a route through the forest for personal development and career growth.

Prospects for career growth underlie performance and sales targets.....if they don't know where they are going, how can you expect your team to follow you?

Strong Leadership and good work life balance

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work in a smaller office where management is very hands on and accessible. There are no boundaries to growth opportunities if you communicate and meet the standards set. Tools available to excel you your position are readily available.

Cons

Not many other than high standards set my local office.

Actuarial Intern

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Aon as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Office Culture is great, there are continuously activities that gets everyone together.
    There was a great understaing with my manager.
    There are several opportunities to climb the ladder.

Cons

The number one challenge I had was commuting, the office is located in uptown.
    I tried the train for a few months but it was wearing me down. I ended up driving very early in the morning and leaving early to avoid traffic.

Love it

Current Employee - Broker in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Broker in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great management. Good team atmosphere. Good salary. Room to grow. Ethical company. I would recommend to college grads to start here and work your way up.

Cons

Stressful job t times. Company is public so corporate looks at margins all of the time. Easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Business Internship Program

I worked at Aon as an intern

Pros

Global leader in commercial insurance brokerage.
    Entrepreneurial office environment helps employees feel a sense of independence and personal involvement.
    Colleagues bring a lot to the table with their diverse backgrounds.

Cons

Insurance is a greying industry. I wasn't exposed to many young professionals at the office or through clients.
    Since company is so big, simple service requests can become quite difficult. IT support was the biggest problem I had there.

Seek out younger talent.