AppFolio Reviews

Updated 14 August 2014
Updated 14 August 2014

3.9

Brian Donahoo

Great Company, great leadership and great oppertunity

Current Employee - Implementation Manager  in  Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are motivated to get experience and have opportunity for advancement, Appfolio is a great place to work at. The company is always growing looking to promote talent from within. They offer great training and a great opportunity to get hands on experience doing something that matters. To top if off, the senior leadership has created a great company atmosphere and set the company up to be very successful long term.

Cons

Nothing bad to say. Appfolio is a fast pace and growth minded company. If you do not mind showing up to work and giving your best, there are no cons. However if you are looking for a clock in/out job allowing you to coast, its not the place for you. The company rewards hard work and talent.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Awesome Place to Work!!

Current Employee - Implementation  in  Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Implementation in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

Pros

A fun and youthful culture. The company is growing quickly and offers a lot of room for employee growth. They promote from within the Company, which is awesome! Hard working, friendly and smart co-workers that continue to raise the bar and encourage me to push myself. A lot of opportunities to learn and develop skills. Hard work is noticed and rewarded. Can't say enough about how much I love working for this Company!

Cons

Busy days. The days fly by because there is always a lot to get done. Fast paced and exciting!

Keep it up!

AppFolio- A wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Goleta, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The atmosphere is young and vibrant, with a fun work life balance. The headquarters in Santa Barbara has fun break room activities including ping pong, Foosball, and daily exercise classes. In addition AppFolio offers a fully stocked kitchen with food and beverages. This is a hard working environment and is focused on growing into a multi million dollar company, but where people work hard the also play hard.

Cons

There is not much room for advancement within the services, and the implementation sectors. Unless you are an Engineer your career growth goals may go unrecognized.

Provide opportunities for growth within the company so that your talented workforce can continue to grow with the company, and provide value to the organization for the long term. Also focus more on training, and development to build skills across departments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Wonderful Company

I worked at AppFolio

Pros

The company is driven to make the employees happy

Cons

I honestly have none to state

Great company, most difficult and underpaid department

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

The best part about this company is the culture. Most people are intelligent, motivated, and fun to be around. It makes work more enjoyable. Additionally there are many skilled people within the company who know their stuff and are available to learn from. Fun atmosphere, free snacks, relaxed but focused work environment. Great place for people who are serious about getting work done, but like to have fun along the way.

Cons

Employees in customer success are under-compensated for the stress and effort the job requires. They put too much work on our plate, and expect long days with no added benefits for working overtime. When we speak with clients, most of them are upset they can't get a response quick enough because we are so over-encumbered with clients that we don't have enough time to respond to everybody promptly. Even if we work 10 hour days, clients must wait because it's too much work for too few people. This is (hopefully) a temporary thing, but the expectations for us are simply unrealistic at this point.

Continue to hire. Increase salaries and maybe the turn over rate will decrease.

Great company - Has it's cons thought

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager  in  Goleta, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Goleta, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Great people, good benefits, free snacks, work out classes, occasional happy hours and fun work events.

Cons

The client base a CS manager will work with with will eventually wear you down as they can be very demanding and sometimes very rude. In the beginning you have a lot to look forward such as possible advancement into a different departments and your 6 month raise/ benefit acquisition. Lets get real though, no one wants to be in customer support as a career choice. You take the position in order to move up and grow your resume. So if the department your looking into doesn't need any extra people or they find someone more qualified you could find yourself stuck. You have the possibility to move up within the department but the pay is weak compared to any other position in the company. We have a top notch sales staff so it just keeps getting busier and you end up working more hours yet you keep getting paid the same regardless of effort or performance. It becomes very tough to stay positive and motivated.

Give the CS department something more to look forward to after 6 months such as additional raise possibilities or at least some sort of performance based bonus structure.

Sales Development Representative

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative  in  Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training, great people, and great product. Benefits are standard, there's a lot to do outside of work and leadership has tons of experience. I will continue to use the skills I gained from working at this company for the rest of my career. Top of the line equipment and snacks always available. Foosball a plus.

Cons

Metrics mean everything and quantity/volume seems much more important than quality. Work is very repetitive. Hard to make it through the day without expressing some level of frustration (however it is sales).

Great culture. Great growth potential.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Small, autonomous teams work closely with customers to release new features rapidly. Sustainable pace with excellent work/life balance. Great support for individuals and teams. Focus on continual improvement. Good opportunities for career growth as the company grows, both on technical and leadership tracks.

Cons

Company is growing rapidly, so there are constantly new people to bring up to speed. The number of paid holidays is a bit low. It is challenging to keep code quality high while constantly adding new people and producing such a high volume of new products and features.

Continue the sustainable balance of growth vs profits. Continue to invest heavily in engineering.

A great place to work and to advance

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, creative, and team based culture. Company has solid growth. Pays great attention to employee's needs. Customers loves the products. Lots learning opportunities. A perfect place to start.

Cons

Fast pace demands quick on the job growth. Products are business facing. If you are only interested in hot technology buzz, this may not be a right place for you. The company is very customer and product centric. This is good for most of us.

Keep up with good job of growing the company and products. Couple more holidays will be better.

Just so so

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It tries to keep every one happy by snacks and t-shirts.

Cons

Old technologies, not good for personal development. Slow growth. It took 7 years to be barly profitable. Poor health insurance, no 401k, no bonus. Workplace politics. Talented engineers are not really promoted to important postions. The managers are not good at techniques and do not really pay attention to the growth of the teams. But they are really good at keep their postions in the company.

Worked for AppFolio? Contribute to the Community!