Apple

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

(1,550 ratings)

3,096 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits package if you're lucky enough to get full-time"
    in 182 reviews
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 177 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 157 reviews
  • "could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors"
    in 127 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company

Genuis Administrative (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat company, takes care of their employes, great retirement plans

Conslong hours, not too much work/life balance. experience depends on your manager

experience is highly team dependent

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Palmdale, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat company to work with. the company has a great atmosphere and my co-workers are friendly and understanding. apple promotes teamwork and creativity.

Consthere are no cons because this is a good place to work at, there are no there are no cons

Fun, but somewhat frustrating.

Tech Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary. Good benefits. The opportunity to work with decent people. Management, that (so far) is uniformly bright, and pretty easy to work for. Easy going, (in some respects) corporate culture. It is like any job, though, follow the rules, and you will have no problems. The problems start when you don't reach your assigned goals, and metrics. The metrics for At Home Advisors are not overly strict, nor impossible to meet. All you have to do is show up, do the job according to established practices ( and trust me, once you start doing that, it gets a whole lot easier, and your metrics are met......). The company is fun to work for, you get gifts every quarter (nice Apple-branded clothing, high quality commuter cups, and water bottles. Sometimes you get silly things as well, but that's just part of the fun of working there.) The training for At Home Advisors is about 5 or 6 weeks long, and it is kind of tough. It's not impossible, but it's not easy either. The overall atmosphere is fun, and it's fairly easy going as well. Working from home also has the benefit of being away from office gossip, and office politics. In addition there is the employee purchase plan for Apple devices, and, all kinds of discounts on other stuff as well. Apple builds their support around "empathy", and building a relationship with the customer, so they feel as if they are getting personal service from you. It's a good thing, too. I have done tech support in the past, both face-to-face and over the phone. Apples formula for doing things, while hard to get used to for the cynical, is really an effective way of dealing with customers. There is also plenty of opportunity to advance, and move into a full time gig. Also, your manager is their to support you. All of the managers I have had, have been involved, encouraging, and supportive, but there is no "hand holding". You are expected to take what you have learned, and help customers. Now, don't mistake that as meaning you are on your own with no support. Quite the opposite. There is tons of support, but once something is given to you to do, you are expected to complete it, or accomplish it in the agreed upon way. There are no excuses. Your manager is there to support you, help you sharpen your skills, and give you some best practices. All of my managers came up through Tech Support, going from Tier 1 to Tier 2, and then moving in to Team Managers. They have been there, they know how it works, and their knowledge is what will help you get to the next level.

ConsConstant Team Leader changes. I am now on my 4th team manager in 18 months, all of them have been good so far, but, it does get a bit old Hours and scheduling can be a bit crazy, you have to bid your shifts properly, so you get what you want. One day per weekend is required, and that is your 8 hour day. You are generally kept at 20 hours a week. If you take the benefits, (in my case it's for my entire family) anywhere from 25%-50% of your paycheck is gone. Benefits, however, are good. Customers... oh, the customers.... They can be draining.. Some of them are literally emotionally involved with their device. I kid you not. I have had customers crying because their Apple product is broken, and not working. Many of the customer, in fact, the majority of them, are intelligent, and given to following instructions. But, as with any other call center job, there will always be the difficult ones.

Bittersweet

Apple Retail Specialist (Former Employee)
McLean, VA (US)

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros-Good hourly pay
-good discounts on products

Cons-Very strict schedule (cannot be even one minute late getting back from a lunch break)
-Very hard to schedule time off (need to submit at least 6 weeks in advance even to be considered)
-can be difficult to work their schedule around college schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more flexibly with the employees. Give more opportunity for certifications and lateral movement. Give opportunities for some sort of leadership training and some way for people in Apple retail to make the bridge to corporate.

An exciting, abstract workplace.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple

ProsI really enjoyed the variety of people I met while with Apple. I was given the opportunity to learn a ton of new things, and Apple truly believes in helping their employees' development. They hire a diverse, yet similar group of people, where almost everyone that you work with feels like they are your close friend.

ConsSome managers exhibit "micro-managing" type qualities, making it hard to see eye to eye with them and feel like you're doing the right thing. Also, the attendance policy at Apple was awful. A point for every callout, no matter if you were deathly ill or just hungover and didn't feel like coming to work - regardless of if you had a doctor's note for the illness. There was an extremely complicated method of filing for medical leave, which required contacting a third-party company and having extensive paperwork filled out by both you and your doctor, which had to be faxed or mailed to the company. For a company that states to really believe in it's people, it didn't seem like that went to the extent of their wellbeing when they are sick.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be on the same page and realize that most of you are externally hired - you don't know what it's like to do our job. If it's busy, help us out. I shouldn't feel like fainting if I see a member of the management team helping employees out with small sales or interacting with customers.

ASLP

ASLP Associate (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat:

- Company
- Values
- Leadership

ConsOpportunities:

- Movement into corporate if you're coming from a leadership position at a flagship store

Specialist

apecialist (Current Employee)
Huntington, NY (US)

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is a great place to work for. The people are awesome and it's like another home

ConsWish the company paid it's retail employees more. Would like to see more opportunities to advance into corporate positions

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to pay employees more.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Mixed from store to store, go for a big store in a big market for a better experience

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe benefits are great, health care is incredibly. Generally work with a pretty good bunch of people.

ConsManagement can be braindead, but Apple are like the Vatican and never really remove anyone, they just ship them off far away.
And, its still retail, hard work and all the downsides of retail.

Awesome

Apple At Home Advisor (Current Employee)
Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking from home, great pay, awesome benefits

ConsPart time, terrible management promotion pathing(temp as manager first at normal pay, and then be on call to maybe do again or become a manager while they still hire other college graduates frequently from outside)

Advice to Senior ManagementQuicker avenues for advancement, more in-hiring

I'm in iPhone repairing department, debugging of iPhone and fixing all issues.

IT Tech (Current Employee)
Elk Grove, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple as a contractor for more than a year

ProsIm have Computer education and in apple i got more experience about iPhone. I learn so many things in apple.

Consworking in iPhone that's a challenge for me but i like challenges. and in the end of first year i got certificate of excellence.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 3,096 reviews are posted anonymously by Apple employees.