Apple Reviews

3,759 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,038 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 208 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 194 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 194 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 133 reviews)

More Highlights

cool but a bit of a cult.

I worked at Apple part-time

Pros

passionate and interesting colleagues.
    great work environment.
    generous perks.

Cons

takes over your life - they demanded a lot for a casual retail job. it's good if you love the brand and want to become a genius for the rest of your life but not suitable if you just want some spare cash to get through uni!

too many hierarchical buzz words- which provided a bit of a cultural clash between the american structure and the australian egalitarianism.

Great and Fun Company to work for.

Former Employee - Tier I Support  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Tier I Support in Sydney

I worked at Apple as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Casual Dress everyday. Fun and creative workplace. Excellent training schemes and in house incentives such as discounts on their products. Excellent opportunities to climb up in management and the pay is quite good. Strong focus on customer experience.

Cons

They mostly employ contractors and have a strict policy in not giving to charities or sponsoring events. Because it is like a cult-like work place where everyone is almost the point of obsessed with Apple products, there is also that feeling of weirdness and over "loving" the products. Focused on gaining numbers rather than giving back to the community

Give back to the community rather than focus on taking from consumers

totally dissatisfied there's no career

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)  in  Roma
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Roma

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

they pay on time and the contract is regular

Cons

once they put you the blue t-shirt they forget your previous experience and skills and you can forget any career in this place. You will probably remain there without opportunities. Managers are taken from other companies like jeans or shoes companies instead of letting you grow with time.
    (and you could be even and electronic engineer)

coming from other companies like shoes or fastfood or jeans, judge by yourself

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An enriching experience working with an amazing group of individuals

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Sydney

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Enriching journey
    - Amazing insight into the works of one of the best companies

Cons

1. Hard to transition towards corporate

Informative, a place to grow, retail like no other

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Sydney

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people to work with, great products and happy atmosphere
    Train staff and let you grow on the job, also give decent staff discounts

Cons

limited if any career progression and staffing goes through fazes of high quality to high quantity but never finds the right balance

build your staff, they are a resource and many do not want to leave

Great place to work so far...

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Brisbane
    Current Employee - Specialist in Brisbane

I have been working at Apple full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good environment to work in, fantastic people and culture, no pressure to make a sale

Cons

Could go horribly wrong if management becomes bad

Keep being good :D

amazing people

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Melbourne
    Current Employee - Specialist in Melbourne

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros

fantastic team, really energetic and passionate, managers who really look out for you
    there are some amazing opportunities if you want to make retail your career and even if you don't

Cons

you often get some pretty terrible customers or get frustrated by the processes you have to work within, probably inherent in working for such a large company. They pay doesn't seem high enough for what you do.

Apple Retail - Not bad, compared to others.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at Apple

Pros

• Product discounts.
    • Working with selected - brilliant people.
    • Good retail environment compared other companies.

Cons

• Retail.
    • Company culture is not working very well at retail.
    • Retail.

Your employees are hand-selected brilliant people that are devoted to Apple and Apple products. You need to take feedbacks seriously to keep everyone happy in the store - to be the best store in the world.

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist  in  Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!