Apple

4,250 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,364 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

Informative, a place to grow, retail like no other

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Sydney
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Sydney

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people to work with, great products and happy atmosphere
    Train staff and let you grow on the job, also give decent staff discounts

Cons

limited if any career progression and staffing goes through fazes of high quality to high quantity but never finds the right balance

build your staff, they are a resource and many do not want to leave

Great place to work so far...

Current Employee - Specialist in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Specialist in Brisbane

I have been working at Apple full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good environment to work in, fantastic people and culture, no pressure to make a sale

Cons

Could go horribly wrong if management becomes bad

Keep being good :D

amazing people

Current Employee - Specialist in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Specialist in Melbourne

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than a year)

Pros

fantastic team, really energetic and passionate, managers who really look out for you
    there are some amazing opportunities if you want to make retail your career and even if you don't

Cons

you often get some pretty terrible customers or get frustrated by the processes you have to work within, probably inherent in working for such a large company. They pay doesn't seem high enough for what you do.

Apple Retail - Not bad, compared to others.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at Apple

Pros

• Product discounts.
    • Working with selected - brilliant people.
    • Good retail environment compared other companies.

Cons

• Retail.
    • Company culture is not working very well at retail.
    • Retail.

Your employees are hand-selected brilliant people that are devoted to Apple and Apple products. You need to take feedbacks seriously to keep everyone happy in the store - to be the best store in the world.

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

One of the best Silicon Valleys at present

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time

Pros

Apple currently offers competitive salaries and benefits, interesting projects, smart colleagues and a comfortable workplace.

Of note is Apple's contribution to the 401(k) plan. For the first two years, the maximum matching contribution is 3%, but increases to 4.5% after two years of tenure and to 6% after fives years of tenure. Other employers such as Oracle and (before the Oracle acquisition) Sun offered only a 3% maximum matching contribution. And the Apple matching contribution vests immediately, unlike for example HP where the matching contribution vests only after three long years; incredibly, HP will confiscate its matching contribution if you leave HP for any reason prior to three years. Apple won't.

Also, Apple's medical insurance is top-notch, easily besting for example the medical insurance of HP. With HP's lowest-deductible health plan, a $3,000 MRI will cost you $750 out of pocket ($500 deductible plus 10% of $3,000 less the $500 deductible) whereas with Apple the MRI will cost you nothing out of pocket. Apple's medical insurance is among the best that I've seen in Silicon Valley, and rivals that of Oracle and Sun.

Cons

My only complaint is that Apple is hiring so rapidly into my department that we all have to share an office with another employee. Perhaps when we move to the new "spaceship" campus I'll get a private office.

Keep doing what you're doing.

They really have a balanced approach to taking care of employees

Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor
    Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor

I worked at Apple part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training was awesome, the team members really work together. The training is ongoing and the job can really be satisfying. The convenience and the benefits are great as well

Cons

Business requires a flex schedule. The schedule may change at any time and the hours can vary as well as the days.

This is the place to be if you care about user experience.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best colleagues in the business. This is a great opportunity to work with some really fantastic, dedicated people, who genuinely want to use technology to make the world a better place.

Cons

Sometimes there can be bureaucracy and management sometimes does not listen to the opinions of the rank and file. When crunch time hits, it can be all-consuming.

Excellence is your daily bottom-line

Current Employee - Apple Retail - Expert in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Apple Retail - Expert in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A remarkable group of people, of all walks of life, all age groups, ethnicities, education and experience work together very hard, every day. The real challenge is to stay true to yourself -- the very reason why you were hired -- while polishing your knowledge and developing a broader emotional intelligence. The structure built in to insure you do great is there. You need to ask if you need help, stay put, never give up, strive to better yourself, because the company will be there to support you. Choose your mentors, become a mentor to others. Make sure you stay generous of your talent, give something back in return for what you receive, every day.

Cons

Ever-changing schedules can be hard to combine with a very full family life, or a full-time student load. There is a great career development path, but it must be fulfilling a business need relevant to the retail location where you work. Fast-track-style careerists may get frustrated.

Regularly-scheduled time off the sales floor to access those learning experiences, complete a certification etc.