Apple Reviews

3,890 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,131 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 240 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 204 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 243 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 148 reviews)

More Highlights

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

It was cool for a while

I worked at Apple

Pros

Apple gives you a good support system. I worked at the retail level, and it was leaps and bounds cooler than most retail jobs you'll find.

Cons

The culture is more like a cult-ure...the place is a cult. If you are a level-headed human being, you may lose your sh*t working with some of these folks.

Keep it real, don't drink the "kool aid"

Great People, unforgiving Polices

Former Employee - Expert in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Expert in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The support of the Management and trainers is out standing, the people you work with are top notch.

Cons

Their attendance policy is very unforgiving, if you are more than a minute or two late to clock in you get a point that stays on your record for a year. Get 3 of those in a year and you can no longer transfer to opening at other stores (which I was planning on to solve some traffic issues that was making it hard to be to work on time). Get another point beyond that 3rd and you are fired.

Give some flexibility to the employees on attendance, being late 4 times in a year isn't worth firing someone over, especially if they are someone that top sales, customer service, and mentor in the store.

Tough but rewarding

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

High compensation for a star player
    Coolest products
    Strong job security for a high caliber engineer

Cons

Extremely long hour
    Slave driving culture

lots of work, but great compensation and experience. very intelligent people to work with.

Current Employee - Product Quality in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Quality in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

great compensation, and travel benefits. lots of area to learn from highly intelligent people

Cons

work life balance is not existant. work work work

Crazy hours, great opportunity, a real learning experience.

Former Employee - Back of House Specialist in Durham, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Back of House Specialist in Durham, NC (US)

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The environment that Apple had/has makes dealing with retail customers possible.
    The benefits in my opinion are some of the greatest for a retail job.

Cons

Sometimes management can overwork you.
    Management won't always be on your side, even if you are following policy.
    Management can seem to care more about the onetime buyer, then the everyday employee.

Managers used to be there to help the employees do their jobs. Unfortunately, now they seem to be their to micromanager employees and tell them when they

The start of lifetime development

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People focused, great benefits, very diverse set of people employed

Cons

Upward movement is very competitive. Culture can mask the business side but doesn't negate it.

A revisit to the core values of the company quarterly rather than yearly can be extremely beneficial.

My experience at Apple has been nothing short of phenomenal; you're surrounded by a brilliant group of individuals.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, travel opportunities, beer bashes, ideal weather, wide array of food options, casual wear, company prestige, company pride, generous time-off benefits, great healthcare benefits, loose management structure, free snacks on the job

Cons

Long hours, work never ends, not enough free food, poor internship program structure, sink or swim environment, pay can be better

Provide a clearer list of expectations early in the project

Very Good

Current Employee - Mac Genius in Annapolis, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Mac Genius in Annapolis, MD (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic job, good training, good people, always enjoyed it very much.

Cons

no specific cons other than occasional late hours and weekends which is hard if your social life requires hanging out with friends and family on the weekend

High Stress. Great Co-Workers

Former Employee - Mac Genius in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Mac Genius in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company, Benefits. The best part of the job was my co-workers. It allowed us to have a sense of community, like we were going to war together to conquer a common enemy.

Cons

This retail location had a very high volume of customers. The environment seamed very hectic and not controlled. Management seamed to be overwhelmed by customers and employees, thus deeming them unreliable.

Please pay attention to employee fatigue since the environment drains us of all we have for in life.