Apple

www.apple.com
Employer Engaged

All employees are energetic, creative, and fun! Just walk into an Apple retail store to find out for yourself!

Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor
    Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor

I have been working at Apple part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This working environment is one you want to be in. You will be surrounded by great people, have competitive benefits, and a highly regarded job.

Cons

The turn around in the recruitment process is lengthy. However, it is just as rewarding once it is over!

Keep doing what you are doing! This company makes it a lot easier for the world to go round! Keep it up!

Excellent

Current Employee - Apple Senior Advisor
    Current Employee - Apple Senior Advisor

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Benefits, and general laid back approach.

Cons

Scheduling can be difficult to work around. You do shift bids, and are not guaranteed anything for your shift which changes every 3-4 months.

Hard Work and Major Projects.

Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very passionate and very talented. I have never met better contacts in my life.

Cons

It takes a large amount of work to get a pretty product and before it gets pushed out to the customer, it goes through a vigorous testing and approving cycle that seems to drag on.

Secrecy is important especially when dealing with contractors but disclosure of minor details could make our jobs much easier in the sense that we figure out exactly where our piece of the puzzle lies.

Apple really takes care of it's employees.

Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Full time and part time tuition assistance, vacation time and health care. Discounts! Pay is really good for a retailer. Apple employees are some of the best co-workers I've worked with. There are also plenty of opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

Part time is great during holidays, but after the holidays, the hours can sometimes range from 12-16/wk

More hours for part time employees

Genius Administrator

Former Employee - Genius Administrator in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Genius Administrator in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Apple

Pros

Awesome schedule, laid back work environment, good work flow (not too busy and not too slow), great room for growth and learning

Cons

Slow points in the retail season, too much growth and not enough workers at points

Awesome job. Would have stayed here had it paid a little more and been in-line with my schooling.

Apple provides a great work-life balance.

Current Employee - Specialist in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great training programs.

Cons

Apple retail is very flat and it is very difficult to work up to anything.

Test Engineer's perpsective

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Perks: lots of travel if you like travelling to Asia, dynamic workplace, high expectations, high performing. Good salary, DRI mentality, freedom to take decisions and navigate product.

Cons

Test engineers are not usually the best of the best though, usually get the grunt of the work without any thanks, are at the end of the pipeline with no say in decision choices.

Program Manager

Current Employee - Operations Program Manager in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Program Manager in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Never boring and always challenges that push the thinking outside the box for solutions. Smart people to work with in every capacity and rewards in seeing impossible problems being solved with great tenacity and focus by like minded group of people.

Cons

Travel and work/life balance has always been the challenge from most of the employees in operations. Most of the manufacturing is still done overseas which tend to keep travels very high.

Building local onsite team more to help keep balance for employees in the states. Make it mandatory to limit the length of stay to 2wks max before having to return, recoup, and then return again with a good down time.

Super great

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Cupertino, CA (US)

I worked at Apple

Pros

Sandwiches, yoohoo, copy machines, praise, and onsite chapel.

Cons

Sulphur smell, proximity to Alcatraz, only velcro shoes allowed.

Change up the keynote it's as predicable as the next season of American Idol.

If you like making your own opportunities, this is the place...

Current Employee - Senior Systems Architect in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Architect in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Apple has a very solid culture of respecting employees and offering challenging work that will change the world.

The important thing to know is that you should be ready to make opportunities for yourself and not sit around waiting for someone else to hand you a dream assignment. You need to network with other teams and be aware of what's coming. With that information, get yourself in front of the hiring manager and let them know you're interested.

This is how you have a great experience at Apple. Take charge of your future.

Cons

Not so much a con as advice that applies anywhere. Apple has a range of managers with varying levels of skill at managing.

Ask good questions of any prospective manager to find out how they manage in certain situations. How do they recognize above and beyond contributions from their directs? How do they manage conflicts inside the group and between groups? What professional development programs do they have in place for their directs? There are many other questions and I encourage you to search online for some more.

Your manager is the single largest influence on whether you enjoy your job. Take the time to get to know her/him in the interview process.