Argus Information & Advisory Services

www.argusinformation.com

Argus Information & Advisory Services Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014
Argus Information & Advisory Services – White Plains – “Argus Information Services”

Michael Heller

Churns through quality employees like an old maid making butter

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) White Plains, NY (US)

Proso Free Sodas and Coffee, Clean Bathrooms

Cons- low salary offset by what they call a "Generous Bonus". I call it baloney. They just hope you quit before the bonus.

- terrible management

- very long hours

-no clear vision

- lots of infighting.

- meaningless promotions and insignificant raises

Advice to Senior ManagementVerisk should fold this company and sell it, or retain its intellectual property and absorb it.

Okay... but extremely repetitive and boring.

ProsDepending on the team you are on, you commit to work on the same level as the full time employees.

ConsThere are times when interns don't get paid b/c time cards weren't approved or the finance dept. didn't put it through.

For a company that makes a good amount of money, they barely invest into upgrading their technology. The computers and servers are all outdated and extremely slow.

not bad

Prosgood working environment, co-workers are good, fast promotion speed, business exposure

Consthe task is not very interesting and rather simple i have to say

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analyst Intern

Analyst Intern (Former Employee) White Plains, NY (US)

ProsThe teams are small at Argus. Most people are your team are usually available to talk or to walk you through something. This is most valuable when tackling a problem when someone on your team might have more experience with.

ConsAs an intern, wish there was more of a concrete program for interns. It sometimes seemed like the interns were thrown into the wild to fend for themselves their first week. Also, some interns received more formal training than others depending on what team that had been placed on.

Advice to Senior ManagementA well structured intern injection program that guarantees that interns are all on the same level no matter what team or company project they are on. A streamlined process and orientation would not hurt.

Great internship experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs a intern, you will obtain great work experience that will jump start your career. Many interns are hired on as full time employees.

ConsYoung professional environment with many recent graduates. Fast paced and not for the faint of heart. Not a place where you can push paper and still get by.

Great culture but long days

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was a great atmosphere amongst the workers. The employees were very friendly and approachable.

ConsThe work days tended to stretch into around 10-12 hours. A little more interaction during the day would be better.

Good Pay, Hire From Within

ProsHire from within, good pay, many benefits

ConsThey work you very hard (12 hour + days)

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benefits will leave employees satisfied after working long days, so keep doing what you're doing.

Absolutely Terrible

ProsYou meet some great people. I made many good friends here.

ConsEverything else

I guess I'll start from the top down. Management here is horrendous. The way Argus as a company manages its assets, down to how the managers manage their teams. Just poor quality management all around. The company itself could care less about you. The rate of turnover is extraordinarily high, so high in fact, that if you stay there for three or more years, you are probably in the top 5% of employees who have. This company will make you work easily up to 12 hours a day.

Don't even get me started on the computers they give you. You would think that a rapidly growing company who handles multiple PETABYTES of data would have some decent quality machines to handle all of that data processing. Wrong. They stick you with a computer, that which I calculated, cost them less than $30/computer. A lot of machines are still on XP too which is hilariously awful. The computers themselves I think have around a gig of ram each? It's absolutely terrible and takes FOREVER to get things done. For a company that expects so much from their workers, how about spending your money on things that would increase productivity for your company? It makes absolutely no sense.

Many of the managers are just horrible people. Talk about condescending and treating employees like replaceable garbage. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some fantastic managers, who do actually care about you and treat you as a person, but don't expect much of it. Many managers think extremely highly of themselves, so much so that it is just laughable. They are so oblivious to everything except things that will earn him or her more money in the end. They expect respect too, which I find hilarious as well.

There is no organization here. Everything seems to just be done on the fly. They use old, outdated code generated years ago by people who had enough sense to move on to another company. Nobody has any idea what is going on. Argus just tends to wing it, and miraculously gets by. I guess that's due to the fact that they work their employees in to the dirt. Work smart, not hard, should be the ideal scenario in any type of work, Argus does the exact opposite.

If you went to school for anything technical related such as Computer Science or Info Technology. Please do yourself a favor and do not even look at this company. They lie in their job descriptions saying that you will be making some real contributions in writing SQL code that will blah blah blah. All you will do is run pre-made, extremely inefficient crap. If you want to develop, do NOT come here. Run far away.

Payroll can also be a nightmare sometimes. There are times when the payroll department will forget to give you part of your check, and you have to wait another two weeks to get compensated for their mistakes.

To sum things up: Avoid this company like the plague. The company is expanding, sure, but if they continue on like this, it will eventually collapse to the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. Hire people who care about their teams.

Argus

ProsFun people who are outgoing. Many young people who are fun.

ConsCertain managers are nasty and many employees are expected to work long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a plan for employees to have a better work/life balance.

High Turnover

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) White Plains, NY (US)

Pros1) work life balance is tough but management will accomadate time for your needs (broken car, waiting for the cable guy, etc...)
    2) Telecommuting is occasionally permitted.
    3) Best data company in the world

Cons1) infighting between the two major company divisions-- lack of communication between the two
    2) Salary is adequate, but they make you wait until March for the bonus. People quit just before receiving their bonuses, which leads me to my next point.
    3) NYC companies are out pacing argus in both base pay and bonuses, anecdotal evidence would support this.
    4) On average 1-2 people quit per week for a better option.
    5) Company only matches a better option rather than going over the top to retain talent.
    6) Major brain drain going on here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to spend it to make it. Start giving meaningful raises to employees. More people are on the way out, you just have to listen around the watercooler carefully enough.

Stop hiring from outside to fill manager vacancies. You have talented Senior Analysts that can do the job. Promote from within.

Worked for Argus Information & Advisory Services? Contribute to the Community!