AroundCampus

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014

AroundCampus President John O'Brien

John O'Brien

Pros:
  • "You learn a lot about yourself in this position"
    in 12 reviews
  • "The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long long hours and it is not as easy as it seems to make a sale"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Product you are selling can be expensive and hard to sell"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Could have done better if I looked more Internships

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people that you work with are all awesome.

ConsThe pay was not that great. It all depended on what territory you received. The training in North Carolina seems like it will be really fun, yet it is grueling boring and the script they make to learn is hardly used when you’re out in the field. This job was really hard and I would not recommend it unless you are superior at sales and you live in a college town where all the companies rely on kids to buy their products.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome how split of the good companies amoung sales reps so they all have the same chance to succed, once your in a rutt of not making money or selling, you usually stay there.

Great and Satisfying Experience

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
College Park, MD (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern for less than a year

ProsOne of the major pros of this internship was the training all interns received at UNC. This was a great time where we really learned about the company and how to be good sales reps. During this internship I not only learned a lot about sales/marketing, but I learned a lot about business in general. I was able to learn a lot and was able to talk with business owners so that we could identify their needs and move forward with the best ad possible in our publication. This internship taught me how hard work will truly pay off, and to always stay positive and persistant. I truly learned a lot and found this to be a very valuable and rewarding summer interning with University Directories. Also the managers are very accessible and are eager to help with any issues you may have. They truly care about developing their interns into the best business people possible.

ConsOne of the cons is that this job can get very frustrating. During training it seems as though sales will be easy but it is not that way out in the field. This can get people very discouraged but in the end being persistant and moving past all the rejections will end up paying off.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the morning webinars. I really liked these during our group meetings every morning. Also keep being open and making your interns feel comfortable asking anybody in the company for help or advice.

Networking Opportunity of my college career

Sales Team Leader/Sales (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at AroundCampus full-time for less than a year

Pros- Outside Sales crash course, gain experience few people have in college for careers
- CAREER PARTNERS; the career partners of UD are excellent employers to build a career with. working here got me interviews from RVA to LAX
- Sales staff is nothing but supportive.

Cons- Not for people that are lazy, youll waste your summer

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what youre doing

Creates the best career path for college students!

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Winona, MN (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe managers are the best you're ever going to have.
You learn more in this internship then you do in the classrooms.
Makes you stand out compared to your classmates for future jobs.
Connects you with many great businesses that look for interns from this company.

ConsHearing "no" can get hard.
Some businesses see the UD product as useless.
Frustrating at times when businesses ignore you and you have to keep trying with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers and upper management make this job one of the best internships ever!

University Directories Reviews

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Ames, IA (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern for less than a year

ProsVoted the #1 collegiate media company in the nation, I would recommend this internship to anyone who is interested in building relationships, learning to challenge their limits, and is ready to take the next step in their career path. University Directories not only provides a great sales foundation academy in Chapel Hill, North Carolina for interns across the country, but they provide EXCELLENT management that continues to mentor and push you during the entire summer. As a college senior, I have so many valuable life lessons to take away from this internship and am already being reached out to by partners of the company for full-time positions after graduation. If you want to work at a place that is going to not only help you find a job, but continue to care about you as an individual, University Directories is the way to go! You'll take nothing but memorable experiences, close relationships, and skills you can use to enhance your daily lifestyle!

ConsThe only thing I would change about the internship is getting to know more people from other reasons. Although we had a close-knitted region, I feel people should be given more time to talk with others at training about different cultures and seeing if they would be interested in looking at employment outside of their comfort zones!

You get what you put in

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat introduction to B2B selling and making cold calls
Potential for pretty good money
Allows for a lot of independence on a daily basis

ConsEverything you do is based upon making cold calls, ie. walking into a business blindly and immediately starting to pitch. If you're not good at that you're in for a long summer.
A lot of rejections. Most people are fairly nice about passing up on the product while others are not so nice.
The way you are paid is once the commission is collected. Some businesses do not pay in a timely manner and in turn you don't get commission for making that sale. There is also a cut off date for you to receive commission meaning that there is a lot of potential for you to miss out on getting paid.
For as much work as you do, you do not get paid enough. I busted my butt off during the summer and am looking to receive not nearly the amount of money I should be. You get a $200 draw each week and 15% of your sales but until you pay off the draw, you see no money.
I believe the product will be obsolete in a few years. No one wants to buy print advertising anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementProduct needs to be reconfigured or will become obsolete soon.
Easy for interns to slack off and just chill while getting paid.

The internship was exhausting and not worth the stress it caused

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern for less than a year

ProsLooks good on a resume
Possibilities for networking

ConsMultiple managers breathing down your neck
Very low compensation
Long hours and demanding schedules
Literally drive around all day
Lasts literally the entire summer
Being told to work toward unrealistic goals
They frown upon you if you don't work overtime some nights
The company relies on interns to make almost all of its profits

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the advice and insights that the interns are giving you. They are actually out in the field and know a lot more about whether your techniques and methods are working.

Don't make it required for each team to have 2 meetings every day. They become monotonous and just end up costing us more gas to talk about the same things.

Put a LOT more effort into advertising your cruel products. This will make it a lot easier for the interns to get clients interested in buying.

An experience I'd never do again

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsPositive atmosphere
Management is encouraging
Independent work
Training is an absolute blast
It's a great resume booster.

ConsTo be successful the job goes well beyond 8:30-5:30
Selling print advertisement for a directory or planner
Independent work (It's easy to take that long lunch or slack)
Work/life balance isn't good. Job is always on your mind.
You have to be annoying/persistent to make sales.
Pay is $200 a week for 10 or 12 weeks depending on your market. Once you hit a certain

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement did all they could. The product is the problem, not management.

A Crash Course in Outside Sales

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern for less than a year

Pros• Experience: If you want/need sales experience you can’t get a much better test-run than you will during your summer with UD. This is an outside sales internship, you are expected to drive around your set territory for 8 hours a day and walk into every business that crosses your path. Any emailing and/or calls must be done on your own time; you will get a stern “talking to” if you’re caught emailing businesses during the day rather than walking in their doors, even if the former is more effective.
• Training: It’s tedious and lasts all day every day, but you should leave with a good grasp of the sales process and some new friends. The week of training, two if you’re a Sales Team Leader, is held at UNC in Chapel Hill; a nice university to say the least. A lot of the important monetary information is shoved into the last day of training; meaning that upon writing up your first couple contracts you may be drawing a blank.

Cons• Bad reputation: A smile and good pitch are only going to get you so far. Besides UD selling an obsolete product it seems that many of their more successful interns haven’t let a thing like honesty get in their way when making sales, and have sullied their successors’ credibility. On top of this UD’s creative dept is deplorable, if a business doesn’t get artwork into corporate their ad will look horrendous, which equals an unhappy customer.
• Luck of the draw: Outside of hard work and dedication, your success or failure is entirely dependent upon your school, territory, and number of renewals; which are doled out “randomly.” Initial speed and success are key to getting preferential treatment with renewals, those who lag and/or struggle out of the gate will find profitable renewals few and far between.
• Pay: You’ll be receiving a couple hundred dollars draw, against your assumed earnings, per week; which equates to $5/hour. If you work for 10 weeks you won’t make any commissions unless you’ve COLLECTED roughly $15k in sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake recruitment more competitive and be honest with applicants, the internship will end up costing a lot of students more than they get out of it.

Good internship, terrible company

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

Pros+Develop yourself professionally
+Receive great sales training, and great sales experience
+Basically this internship is great if you plan on pursing a career in sales. Just be prepared to literally sacrifice your entire summer and deal with an awful company (harder than it sounds, trust me)

Cons- Volume Sales - UD would rather make 10 sketchy sales than 1 legit sale
- Witnessed management lie to make a sale
- Was lied to by management
- UD lied to business in my market about distribution, causing most renewals to be unhappy
- Only pay commission on a very small number of your sales, they don't cover your gas, in the end you make little to no money
- Product is worthless, advertisements do not benefit local businesses. Company makes money by using interns to do the majority of the labor while keeping all profits at the top - Multi Level Marketing
- Mobil App didn't even work half the time
- Distribution has been messed up on my campus for years
- UD home office is worthless, they are slow and unorganized and provided little to no help at all
- Felt like I was ripping off the local businesses rather than selling them a legitimate product that will help them
- sales training week is really good, BUT DON'T TAKE EVERYTHING THIS COMPANY SAYS TO HEART, I have had additional B2B sales experience with a much larger and more reputable company, and I now realize that UD has a lot of flaws in their sales approach and business model

Advice to Senior Management- Dont lie to interns
- Cut all the cheesy motivational tips and outrageous sales goals and get with reality

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AroundCampus reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for AroundCampus CEO John O'Brien. All 170 reviews are posted anonymously by AroundCampus employees.