AroundCampus

Updated 17 October 2014
3.4

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 13 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 24 reviews)

• Hard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a great company!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dayton, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dayton, OH (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The sales training that you receive for internship is life changing. This experience will help you learn how to deal with adversity and challenge you to function efficiently, in many different business settings.

Cons

The time commitment is quite demanding. This internship will definitely take up most of your summer. Also, the pay is low!

Awesome experience

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

I speak on my experience throughout all of my interviews following the internship.

Cons

It is very challenging and if you aren't a hard worker and extremely driven then I would suggest not applying.

Awesome job on creating a fun driven atmosphere.

Great outside sales experience

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great outside sales experience. Interns gain great knowledge about outside sales, building rapport, making presentations, and importance of following up.

Cons

One of the cons would be definitely pay. If one works in the city costs of commuting are high. Therefore, you spend more than earn. Then, very intensive and long days could be challenging.

Good Experience

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Wonderful experience in b2b sales, awesome home office environment, great management

Cons

Cold calling on businesses can be difficult, and the pay is low for living week-to-week

I'd do the internship again.

Former Employee - Project Design Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Project Design Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you're like me and were tragically born missing a trust fund, it's nice to work over the summer to get some money and job experience. As far as opportunities go, I think this is probably one of the more legit ones.

* They won't have you selling knives that can cut pennies in half (you don't need one anyway, you don't have a trust fund, remember?) and you even get your own cubical if you're a Project Design Specialist.
    * You get an hour paid lunch. You might end up working through it most days during the July rush, but that's more of a personal choice then a hard requirement.
    * The company makes a real effort to have a fun culture. I think they genuinely enjoy having students from as many college as possible. There are college emblems everywhere.
    * The supervisors all seemed like very kind person. You don't have to fear having an impersonal slave driving boss(wo)man.

Cons

* As deadline season (July) approaches, things many get a little intense. I can not emphasises enough that no one is ever required to stay past standard working hours (8:30-5:30, with flexible 1 hour paid lunch break) though you will probably have teammates who are staying late, and this may make you feel a little obligated to chip in extra too. In a good way though I suppose.
    * Pay is a little low.
    * Computers are riddled with issues, especially for design based jobs.
    * This is a (generally attractive) female dominated internship. Sounds pretty cool for the guys, at least at first, but if you're more of an introvert like me, and can be hard to make and keep work friends with so few guys in your bro-mediate area. It's still possible if you can friends in other departments however.

Get some new computers. I specially advised that mine should be thrown into a volcano when my internship ended.
    When you talk about opportunities to be brought on full time, make sure you mention the actual job probably won't start until the start of the following summer. This makes the internship only valuable as a "foot in the door" to those who still have a year left of school if they want a job to graduate to.

Got me on my current career path in sales, this internship is amazing

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Teaches you what it takes to be successful in sales, this is a hard internship and you need to be incredibly self motivated and driven to succeed. If you do succeed, you will be graduating with employers chomping at the bit to hire you, its a pretty great feeling.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, and somewhat fake culture, still some really awesome and intelligent people though.

Keep it up!

Great workplace environment, positive and productive

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great leadership, awesome people to work with every day. Experienced a lot of personal growth throughout the workdays and entire summer

Cons

Not too many cons. Was quite time consuming for the wage, however the internship is geared towards personal and career growth.

Include more balance in the training program, build more value to the products offered.

The experience is worth it.

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- They pay for you to fly to Chapel Hill, NC for a week long training.
    - You make your own schedule, you are expected to work 8:30am - 5:30pm but some days that just does not work out.
    - EXPERIENCE is exponential. I learned so much about sales and myself through this internship. The experience received makes up for the less than lovely work days.
    - They promote from within if you want to continue working for the company.
    - It feels SO rewarding when you make a sale.

Cons

- You are selling a luxury to people, it is not a necessity.
    - They make it seem much more fun and exciting than it is.
    - It is hard to stay motivated throughout your work days with nobody but peers to lean on.
    - You WILL LOSE MONEY. You make $200 a week, which consisted of my living week to week while trying to pay for my rent, bills, and gas.
    - Being in a college market in the country, I had to drive everywhere, all day long. It was less than enjoyable.
    - You will not have time to do anything else, ever.

- What are your interns doing all day long?
    - There should be more supervision. My teammate would work maybe 2 hours a day and text me to meet her when it was convenient.
    - When a manager got involved he clearly favored her, which was difficult for me to report her working ethics.

Work the interns extremely hard. Great cold calling sales experience.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- resume help at end of internship
    - you get to work in your college town most the time
    - job fair at training that helps you network

Cons

- long days; work after you go home
    - no official meeting place
    - not a great product for all cities
    - training is in the middle of finals/graduation and is EXHAUSTING
    - pay is "15% of all collected sales" so if your accounts don't pay in full, then you get no commission
    - $200 a week barley pays for gas

They want to help you succeed, so they are completely invested in you.

While I may have learned many skills in regards to sales, the company itself was awful to work for.

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Learned valuable sales skills
    - Gained confidence to talk to any business owner

Cons

- If you have a question, DON'T expect to get the right answer. Every single person you ask will direct you to someone else.
    - You're paid next to nothing
    - You'll be burnt out after 3-4 weeks (it's a 12 week internship)
    - You're selling a product that realistically does not help any businesses. You're basically lying to business owners, many small business owners, and it morally feels wrong