AroundCampus

Updated 30 January 2015
3.5

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 14 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 25 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Clients Relations Associate

Former Employee - Customer Relations Associate in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Relations Associate in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

The managers are all very young and laid back. Made the interviewing experience go very smoothly.

Cons

not willing to negotiate pay

Around Campus Sales Internship

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

Around Campus does a good job at teaching basic selling techniques and provides lots of helpful material. It is a good start for someone who is interested in sales and wants experience in the area. Your regional managers are very willing to give you help whenever you need it and available throughout the day.

Cons

It is a difficult job because it is cold calling businesses and many have strayed away from print advertising. especially in college towns. It can get easy to become lazy since your bosses are not with you that often. This job should really only be taken by someone who has a strong interest in sales.

Like any Sales Company.. they know how to fool you..

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

+ Good training academy
    + Very motivational management team
    + They understand their company and promote it in a very good way

Cons

+ Regional Managers were not very helpful
    + The company's expectations were too high for certain college areas
    + Many local businesses were disappointed with previous years/lack of ROI

Good Internship - Tons of job opps after completetion

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

Good career partners good training
    good management. great friendships.
    still keep in touch with over 40 people i met acrross the us

Cons

hard sales
    cold calling
    hot summer in NC
    wasn't at the beach with my friends.
    long hours.

my manager was awesome and is still a close friend/mentor

Sales Summer Internship

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The training in North Carolina.
    Meeting new people.
    Getting the experience of cold calling.

Cons

Managers not being there at all times. This made it tough because the managers wouldn't be available like they said they would.
    Managers gossiping and getting out to the sales interns. Some of the managers made a rude GroupMe page about the interns and accidentally invited an intern into the group and they told everyone about it.
    How the pay works. You have to sell over $15,000 to even make commission. This is stupid because some schools have a smaller market and smaller goals.
    Also, they tell you that they will help finding a job for after graduation and they DO NOT!

It Is a SCAM!!!!!

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

$200/week & good food downtown (that's it)

Cons

They lie to you about everything. The commission does not work the way they explain. They told me after I sold $2,400 in advertising, I would start making commission (before the internship) THEN they told me after that I had to sell $16,000 to start making commission. We were their puppets/pawn in their game. We made their money. If we didn't make sales they wouldn't encourage us, they would just brag about their top sellers. It was really disheartening and I hated every second of it.

Terrible - Do Not Intern

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

None - honestly. Good sales practice but just find a more reputable company to intern at

Cons

Terrible pay, horrible product, try to get you to work overtime for free. Walking and driving around all day by yourself

Life Changing Opportunity!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-network with local business in your campus community
    -learn the resposibilities and gain knowledge of operating a local business
    -real world experience that you cannot get anywhere else
    -learn how to become a salesperson and gain marketing skills
    -immense personal growth through this internship, regardless of success
    -strong community and support system built within team work
    -paid internship, guaranteed salary and beyond this is up to you how much you make (based on sales)
    -you can control how much time (i.e. success) you want to put into the summer

Cons

-challenging and demanding at times
    -emotional highs and lows of the sales process
    -requires strong organization skills, strategy, persistence, and personability
    -sales is not always a natural process for all, can be much harder for others

has it's good points if you stick it out, ALOT of drawbacks though

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Good experience in sales allows you to really get your hands dirty with how outside sales works meet a lot of people that work around town some may offer jobs if your pitch is really well, a good point on your resume if you work hard you can be very successful. Fun training and good networking opportunities plus a free trip and stay at UNC. Senior management is awesome Johnny O especially!

Cons

Outdated products college students don't use directories anymore and that's the main selling point of the business everything the print ads have to offer can be looked up way easier on your phone. Prices are sky high for print which in my market was more expensive then TV commercials. kinda like scamming businesses out of their money because students don't even know the product exists but you tell business owners that it's a vital part of how students get information. Since managers get commission based on interns sometimes they'll lie to get their way or lie to help make a sale which is never acceptable. Managers play favorites with who they want to work with more often giving others the cold shoulder. A lot of local businesses hate the directory because it doesn't generate any business and are only reached once per year. Pay barely gets you by and isn't taxed they really twist your arm when they say you receive comission on collected payments then tell you to tell business owners they can defer payments for a month or two, you never see the money.

Re work the product to be more up to date and less costly. Have better customer service, periodic check ups on customers to see if there's any improvements that can be made in your service to them. Ensure that managers are honest and don't twist arms to get their way and they spend an equal amount of time with each school. Better pay and compensation for Gas. Flexible schedule for those taking summer classes