AroundCampus Reviews

249 reviews filtered by
3.4
AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 14 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 25 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

1. Intern

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

it served as good experience for future jobs and i can use it in interviews but thats about it. pay is bad, managers are friendly though

Cons

it was really tiring and the interns were underpaid and overworked. sales were hard to make because the market is not in demand

Advice to Management

i would suggest more pay, less hours, less demanding, and more understanding of the interns' situation. it was hard to keep up with all the things we needed to do

Awesome experience - hard work

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

A lot of job opportunities
    Teaches responsibility
    Paid internship

Cons

Low pay - hard to make additional money
    Hard work sometimes uncomfortable situations

3. Summer Sales Intern Position

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

I gained experience in engaging with business-owners that I usually would not connect with.

Cons

I felt something was wrong/ off the second I landed for training. Throughout my interview process I was led to believe this was a competitive program/something to be proud of, so I was shocked when I got on the bus with the other interns and was surrounded by a lot of younger students (freshman in college) who lacked basic grammar skills and acted like they had never been in a professional setting before. The week of training I contemplated leaving many times, there were moments when I would get caught up with what they were teaching us and think "I can do this!" and then I would realize the whole place had a freaky cult-like mentality. Many people I talked to said they applied and got the job immediately, which explained the people that I was at training with. You're paid $200 a week without gas reimbursement (that money is supposed to go towards that), however they don't take taxes out so expect to be paying for it in April. You're forced to go into local businesses and recite the script they teach you (PS you don't "finish" training until you've gone through multiple simulations of this script, another very weird experience). They also don't mention that there isn't a home office in your city, we literally had to come up with a meeting place to come together every morning and evening. My manager forced me to go into seedy motels (prostitutes and all, no joke), sketchy gas stations, and drive him all over the city. If you don't start making sales right away the managers ( they travel, they're with you physically very little) start calling and leaving you voicemails about your "strategy" and "why this is happening" at all hours. It's literally a weird cult-like mentality throughout the whole summer, don't buy into it. If you want to intern at a company with some prestige go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Make your hiring process more rigorous to weed out people, compensate for gas, shorten the length of training.

Set yourself apart

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

-Real world skills
    - Communication skills
    - B2B Sales
    - Networking skills

Cons

I understand why people say this is "a lot of work" -- but the recruiters that hired me never hid that fact. It is a lot of work, but at the end of the day, I learned more during the internship than I did working at a restaurant for 3 years.

Positive but under-supported in the position

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador

I worked at AroundCampus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work independently, gain presentation experience, quick interview process, ability to work for a variety of businesses,

Cons

limited training, little assistance throughout the promotional process, almost an entirely independent operation (ability to work with another ambassador on your campus)

Advice to Management

more contact with recruiters, more guidance during on-campus recruitment

Sales Team Leader for the UNC Chapel Hill Outside Sales Team

Former Intern - Outside Sales Team Leaser in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Intern - Outside Sales Team Leaser in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

From the Assistant Regional Managers to the President and Owner, every employee of that company openly acknowledged their respect for each individual member, focusing on the success of the team and unity of the company. In addition to the extremely humble and admirable environment of the office and each staff member, The Around Campus Group invested an immense quantity of time, effort, and compensation for the most informative and helpful training session, sales process, and was by my side every step of the way. This organization has a very effective sales process that focuses first on building a strong, trustworthy relationship with each and every business owner, all the while improving each interns' ability to perfect their own flavor for the final step of the process, closing the sale. Side note referring to management of company: The owner of the company, Mr. Jim Heavner, has never had a problem connecting and motivating his college student interns. I personally saw Mr. Heavner give one of the most uplifting, inspiring, and surprisingly hilarious (to many of the young audience) speech to begin our training for the summer internship.

Cons

I had very nothing negative experiences with my internship with The Around Campus Group. Although, as the news as pointed out recently, the company is having to file for bankruptcy, it not only upsets me to see such an influential program begin to fall, but more importantly, it is a shame that Mr. Jim Heavner, an iconic local legend to those who know anything about one of his 40+ LLC's that he built through his extremely successful and honorable career. Mr. Heavner, a former employer of my father, my sister, and even myself, has been stuck in a very unfortunate situation recently and I wish only the best, for someone who deserves it more than anyone I know. A true Tar Heel, a prominent businessman/entrepreneur, and a true mentor to every single one of his employees, friends, and anyone who has the opportunity catch a few minutes with his impeccable Carolina Blue Official Jullian's Blazer.

Advice to Management

The only advice I might give to the company would be to increase the level of accountability of the outside sales interns. I understand the magnitude of such a challenge, however, I found this to be a problem as a few of my team members clearly put in less effort than others.

AroundCampus Response

Mar 09, 2015President

Thank you for your review. There is no doubt the last few years have had their challenges as we see shifting in how campuses consume information and familiarize themselves with their campus ... More

Extremely beneficial for my future.

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Week long training, consistent management and coaching, young culture, paid. All recruiters talk about when I attend Career Fairs etc is my experience with The AroundCampus Group. 18 or so companies in their Career Partner Network.

Cons

It's hard work, don't expect to put in 50% and excel at this internship. You will be faced with challenges but the students that work hard and overcome those challenges (because it is possible) will benefit greatly from this program.

Advice to Management

Keep up the consistent coaching. I still keep in touch with my manager who has become more of a mentor for me!

Awesome Internship experience!

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

You will be as successful as you want to be.

Cons

Very tiring and mentally exhausting at times.

Advice to Management

Larger sales teams for larger cities!

Intern

Current Intern - Summer Intern in Urbana, IL (US)
    Current Intern - Summer Intern in Urbana, IL (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

No experience requirement. Good for sohomores.

Cons

Can't lead to a full time hiring

It was a great sales internship. Really taught me a lot about myself and allowed me to work on my business skills.

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

They have a great training program where they help you every step of the way.

Cons

The first day can be hectic and stressful. You are luck if you get the regional manager to assist on the first day.

Advice to Management

Give the interns the sales script to learn before training.