Art Institute of Chicago

4.2

Douglas Druick

Membership Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Department was very welcoming, work was challenging and interesting.

Cons

Offices were in basement of building so underground and no windows.

Good arts organization in Chicago.

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago

Pros

Relaxed culture, cutting-edge technology, benefits.

Cons

Low salaries and limited opportunities for professional growth and upward mobility.

Good place to work

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago

Pros

Because this is a small institution with small staff there are many opportunities. Jobs can be created and expanded as far as your ambitions grow. Potential is unlimited.

Cons

Segmented into 3 areas that are not treated equally. Staff no longer gets to work in the hallowed halls of the grand institution but are spread out amongst many outlying buildings. This makes it difficult to feel like we're all part of the same team.

School of the Art Institute of Chicago

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago

Pros

Knowledgable community that understands intricacies of the art world. The respect and reputation of the organization opens opportunities that would not otherwise be accessible.

Cons

Bureaucracy difficult to navigate and individual job structure not well defined.

Easily the best employer I've had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago full-time

Pros

Asides from being a dream employer (if you're education and professional experience is in the arts), AIC is an amazing place to work. Staff is supportive, creative, flexible, and willing to try new things. Gone is the office place drama associated with working for a faceless corporation.

Some of their perks/benefits are posted on their main website. They include: admission to just about every museum in the city (plus other attractions) for FREE with guests, benefits similar to 'member benefits for the AIC, generous retirement savings plans, a full month (30 days) of PTO for new employees that you can use right away (yes, a full month!). Discounts galore with companies throughout the city and with wireless carriers, pre-tax transit plans, being able to walk the galleries during lunch breaks (you can't do that in your corporate cafeteria, can you?) A warm and welcoming work environment with co-workers to match, and a company you actually want to come to work for every day vs. dreading it.

Even if you're speciality isn't in the arts, there is so much more to AIC than just being a museum and school. Check out their open positions and apply, it's definitely worth considering if you're looking for a career field change.

Cons

Hard to say. Since it is a non-profit, their salaries generally are slightly lower than the same job in the for-profit world. But benefits, work environment and morale make up for that in my opinion.

If you're not used to working on MACs you may have a hard time as for the most part, everyone uses MACs and there is very little PC support. Which again, I would consider a good thing.

For some items there is little in terms of planning. The attitude of 'we have to do this because we've always done this' can be present with a few groups. Though each day we're working towards a stronger strategy in all aspects of our work.

Keep up the great work. The AIC is an amazing place to work with great benefits, awesome coworkers and more. So long as those all stay in place, quality of work will continue to be top-notch.

A supportive, challenging and many times a chaotic environment

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago

Pros

Have been given many opportunities to push myself and learn to work with many different personalities.

Cons

Casual but very productive work atmosphere.

Say thank you just a little bit more

Creative, nice enviroment

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

This review is for the Media production Bureau of the School of the Art Institute. Out clients are internal and varied. Not a fast paced environment allows for personal projects and experimentation. There are many opportunities to learn new tools and technologies. Is a good place to work if one is looking for interesting projects to work on, but no for get a high salary

Cons

Since the institutional nature of this place, a lot of red tape needs to be dealt with in order to get new projects approval and/or support. There are many department that don't always communicate well with each other. This can cause delays and double efforts. New full time positions are rarely available,

Loved it

Current Employee - Guest Services in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Guest Services in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Met many interesting people. Beautiful working conditions. Very supportive and kind supervisors

Cons

None. It was one of the most enjoyable jobs I ever had.

Graduate Student Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago part-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are in school at SAIC, this is a great way to work in close proximity to classes, faculty, and resources. Also, AIC is an incredible place to have at your fingertips.

Cons

The high level of bureaucracy at a large institution like this one makes it difficult to make changes in practice or policy, even when obviously necessary. There is a lot of pushing paper that sometimes seems needless.

Art Institute of Chicago Photos