Art Institute of Chicago

4.2

Douglas Druick
1 Rating

Creative, nice enviroment

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

This review is for the Media production Bureau of the School of the Art Institute. Out clients are internal and varied. Not a fast paced environment allows for personal projects and experimentation. There are many opportunities to learn new tools and technologies. Is a good place to work if one is looking for interesting projects to work on, but no for get a high salary

Cons

Since the institutional nature of this place, a lot of red tape needs to be dealt with in order to get new projects approval and/or support. There are many department that don't always communicate well with each other. This can cause delays and double efforts. New full time positions are rarely available,

Loved it

Current Employee - Guest Services in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Guest Services in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Met many interesting people. Beautiful working conditions. Very supportive and kind supervisors

Cons

None. It was one of the most enjoyable jobs I ever had.

Graduate Student Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are in school at SAIC, this is a great way to work in close proximity to classes, faculty, and resources. Also, AIC is an incredible place to have at your fingertips.

Cons

The high level of bureaucracy at a large institution like this one makes it difficult to make changes in practice or policy, even when obviously necessary. There is a lot of pushing paper that sometimes seems needless.

Very dynamic institution

Current Employee - Professor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Professor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The School side of the Art Institute is a very mobile, dynamic, unpredictable institution that likes to be off the charts. It is one of the world's leading institutions of its type.

Cons

Benefits are excellent in comparison to other institution of its type. In the School part time faculty can obtain health insurance. Promotions are usually handled very carefully although there have been exceptions and departments have too much control over the process, that is, not enough oversight from the administration.

The administration in the School has been minimal. It was originally all faculty (artists) and that made it very disorganized and inefficient. That is changing rapidly and there is now professiornal administration staff. However in my opinion the institution should be careful not to expand too much in that way. The dynamic nature of the institution depends on being artist-run as much as possible.

Professional and Friendly

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Professional environment
    - Endless resources and large museum
    - Great teachers and Classes

Cons

I did not find anything unpleasant working here.

Great experience working with a small group of students.

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Troy, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Troy, MI (US)

Pros

Professional growth and friendly environment.

Cons

The institution is still growing, so there are some transitional challenges sometimes.

Establish a mentoring network.

Great team to work with

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago

Pros

Great experience to start a career in museum setting.

Cons

The schedule for installation is so tight, as the museum never close to the public.

Office Assistant at SAIC Residence Life Office

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to work here while being a student at the school. Great communication between departments, supportive of student schedules, working with creative people, and all around fun to be part of the office environment. Some days there was not a lot of activity, so I was able to get homework accomplished while on the job.

Cons

Not too many cons, although some days there was not much to do. Like I stated, I was able to work on homework during these times, but I have heard others complain of boredom.

Overall a nice, comfortable and at times fun place to work. Great staff.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Prestigious, world-famous. Staff are all very professional, and the curators are world class. Get to see exhibits 'behind the scenes' and is an amazing experience if an art lover. Really cool history to be part of, one can't help but gather a sense of purpose. Awesome benefits, especially long vacation time off.

Cons

It is a non-profit, unless you are in upper-management, you aren't going to make great money. It's okay pay, but not great, and there generally isn't a lot of upper mobility. People generally stay where they are hired at, so not a great place for ambitious climbers, generally, unless someone retires, moves on or dies.

Sometimes forget to remember the little folk. Pay could be a bit better.

You might not believe me, but I cannot imagine a better gig.

Current Employee - Faculty in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Faculty in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom in the classroom, support in and out of the classroom, funding for conference travel as well as specialized software, tremendous respect, and just pay. Also, association with an insitute consistently ranked among the top of its kind, phenomenal colleagues, an exhuberant and open-minded student body, and a really cool city to call home.

Cons

Precarity, perhaps. I find this freeing, but others may not feel as I do. SAIC hires masses of contigent faculty, especially in the liberal arts department, with very few tenure lines. You will want to be comfortable signing an annual contract repeatedly if you are to find peace and happiness in this position.

The SAIC Admin is stellar. I cannot fathom better human beings, more sincerely committed to transforming education in ways that are ethical and focused foremost on student well-being and achievement (in the present as well as in the future). If I live 1000 years, I hope to spend the 965 I have left as a part of this community, working alongside of this administration. And if we (the US) ever figure out what it takes to create an educated democracy, I do not doubt that SAIC will have played a key role in that "figuring out" process.

Art Institute of Chicago Photos