Arup

Arup Reviews

Updated Jul 05, 2014

Not yet rated.

Greg Hodkinson

Pros
  • Generally management is concerned about work life balance and do a good job in communicating that to the employees (in 12 reviews)

• Get the opportunity to work on some very interesting projects (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There is fake sense of work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• The firm seems to have issues getting rid of poor performers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

great conditions, smart people, fantastic learning

ProsOpportunities to be creative and innovative

ConsJob security outlooks over the next 12-24 months

Positive talk doesn't match actual experience

PHP Developer (Current Employee) Brisbane

Pros- Decent pay rates
    - Good team of people

Cons- company tends to downsize in hard times and spend big in good
    - very regressive attitudes to technology advances
    - IT-as-support-role means poor software engineering is allowed, even required.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of your middle management are incompetent and insulting. Fire them.

Arup Graduate

Graduate Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsGood people, Great work environment, great projects and the companies global exposure allowing the opportunity to travel internationally.

ConsHave to move city which is far away from my home city, the work is all buildings based, there isn't really the scope to move up fast in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a good time

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture, great people.

ProsSupport the individual. Maintain ethical standards through good times and bad. Seriously strive to be the best professionally.

ConsNo major cons - happy working at arup.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focused on the projects and staff and all will be well.

Great company but low pay

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsGreat ethical culture with good projects

ConsLow pay and arrogant culture

Great company, great culture and people

Information Centre (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsThis is one of the best companies Ive worked for. I truely enjoyed working there, the people are friendly and very talented. Great atmosphere and vibrancy.

ConsThe only downsides was that there wasen't enough work for me to stay, as I would of stayed there longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow futher opportunities for growth in other departments, if a team dosent have enough work on. This will allow improved team relationships with other staff members and interactions.

Great people, great company

Structural Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsAt Arup, you have the opportunity to work on the most amazing projects in the industry. The people are brilliant, your ideas are valued, and you feel like you can actually make a difference.

ConsIt's a big company, and there's a bit of bureaucracy in terms of promotions, staffing, paperwork, etc. The hours can be a bit tough at times too, but they ebb and flow.

Amazing for grads (or Directors)

Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe graduate training scheme is as good as it gets in the industry. The project and international travel opportunities are abundant and renumeration was above average with regular incremental increases.

ConsEnormous amount of very mediocre middle grade staff (senior / associate) in the most crucial 'shop front' positions, however support appears to be lacking. All the good (and sensible) grads get chartered quickly, then leave. The directors watch their pensions and profit share grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to retain graduates and make directors more accountable.

Review

Structural Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company to work and great reputation

ConsToo much mobility of staff

Positive experience, but glad I moved on.

Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgood brand within the engineering space, good development opportunities for those willing to stick with the slow pace of progression

ConsTope management take too long to make decisions and essentially look after themselves during a downturn. need pay more junior employees better to keep the top talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after your graduates

Worked for Arup? Contribute to the Community!