Arup

Updated 4 March 2015
Updated 4 March 2015
3.8

Greg Hodkinson

Pros
  • Generally management is concerned about work life balance and do a good job in communicating that to the employees (in 13 reviews)

• Great people, culture and high profile projects (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is fake sense of work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Hard to believe the behavior of upper management is tolerated (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Creative, technically excellent and innovative company

Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have had a fantastic experience at Arup at several of our East Asia/Australasian offices.

I highly respect my colleagues, who bring bright ideas with out-of-the-box thinking. There is strong investment in internal research, sharing best-practices on our intranet and you are always sitting next to a few people smarter than you. International placements abound if you want them, especially for engineer/senior engineer levels (in 5 yrs since graduating I've already worked for Arup in 3 countries). Chance to contribute to iconic, award winning projects. Uniquely lively environment for such a big company which is willing to take risks and give young talented staff responsibilities. Management take care of their staff and the company is filled with those who have been with Arup for 20+ years - frequently people rejoin after working for others for a few years.

Cons

Not too much to grumble about, but pay is mediocre. Financial discipline on projects can be a bit lacking at times.

Continue to invest in technical excellence, organic growth, and taking on challenging/risky projects where our innovative staff can shine.

Great people. Very technically savvy. No business drive

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They do tryband look after the people, big projects and the best challenges in the industry

Cons

Culture seems to be sliding. Easy to feel like you're stuck going nowhere. No strong incentives to push hard. Deadlines not adhered to.

Reward people that perform. Give more feedback.

Positive talk doesn't match actual experience

Current Employee - PHP Developer in Brisbane
    Current Employee - PHP Developer in Brisbane

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Decent pay rates
    - Good team of people

Cons

- company tends to downsize in hard times and spend big in good
    - very regressive attitudes to technology advances
    - IT-as-support-role means poor software engineering is allowed, even required.

Some of your middle management are incompetent and insulting. Fire them.

great conditions, smart people, fantastic learning

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to be creative and innovative

Cons

Job security outlooks over the next 12-24 months

Arup Graduate

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Arup full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people, Great work environment, great projects and the companies global exposure allowing the opportunity to travel internationally.

Cons

Have to move city which is far away from my home city, the work is all buildings based, there isn't really the scope to move up fast in the company

Have a good time

Great culture, great people.

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Support the individual. Maintain ethical standards through good times and bad. Seriously strive to be the best professionally.

Cons

No major cons - happy working at arup.

Keep focused on the projects and staff and all will be well.

Great company but low pay

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great ethical culture with good projects

Cons

Low pay and arrogant culture

Great company, great culture and people

Former Employee - Information Centre in Sydney
    Former Employee - Information Centre in Sydney

I worked at Arup

Pros

This is one of the best companies Ive worked for. I truely enjoyed working there, the people are friendly and very talented. Great atmosphere and vibrancy.

Cons

The only downsides was that there wasen't enough work for me to stay, as I would of stayed there longer.

Allow futher opportunities for growth in other departments, if a team dosent have enough work on. This will allow improved team relationships with other staff members and interactions.

Benefits of working for a corporation without most disadvantages of it.

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Arup's specific ownership structure (no profit reported to outside shareholders) makes it a naturally employee oriented firm, with a developed sense of community, broad employee benefits and career development opportunities, including international assignments and other lateral move options.

Cons

Personal and career growth opportunities may be limited for non-technical staff. There may also be a general perception for non-project staff to be second-category citizens, regardless of their experience, education and value, just because they are not engineers.
    The salaries are below competitive compared to similar positions in similar firms, although for many it is balanced out by benefits and friendly work environment.

The company might be missing an opportunity to grow its business by having brightest people running its business management side, i.e. legal, marketing, HR, knowledge management, process improvement etc., by underestimating the role of talent in those areas. The competitive pay, training and career development opportunities are key here. Assuming that only engineers can run the world has not been bringing impressive results lately.

Good work-life balance, not the best salaries

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Arup full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Arup is owned by the people, and that is very much reflected in the culture. My work-life balance is respected, and there is a relatively flexible approach towards flexible working hours, providing you pull your weight. I can imagine it may differ per function, but certainly in my department, it feels good. Unfortunately, I am on a maternity cover and there is still no definite answer as to whether my role will become permanent or not, although hints of it. I think Arup is very open minded when it comes to women in business, and promotes employing women. Arup seems to be the kind of company that doesn't want to complicate matters, and is therefore open to job shares, and working part-time for mothers. 25 days holiday is generous, and that is complimented by the 10 days you can take unpaid. That and the flexible benefit allowance that you can spend on extra holiday days, or the green car scheme for example. The pension scheme at Arup is incredibly competitive.

Cons

The salaries at Arup are notoriously low, I have heard from engineers and consultants that they are being hassled to do the same job elsewhere with 10-15k over what they currently earn. I have however heard, that the culture at these kind of places is much more high pressured, so I guess it depends what floats your boat. I took a pay cut to come here, and unsure how quickly they might consider raising my salary. Cons also include the range of benefits, as great as they are, are not available to FTC staff, which is a real shame, and feels a bit unfair.

Keep doing what you are doing, it seems to be working. Offer flexible benefits for FTC staff, they work hard too, so shouldn't just be pushed to the side.