Ashford University

www.ashford.edu
Profile Unclaimed

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay and location are pretty decent. The quality of people they hire is pretty spectacular as well. Beyond those qualities, there is nothing.

Cons

Everything else. Unrealistic expectations. The quotas you are expected to meet are ridiculous. You are constantly told how you are going to lose your job. The job sucks the life out of very good people.

What does it matter? It's a for profit university--the scum of the scum.

Initially Ashford University was a great company to work for...

Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

During the growth period (2008 - 2012) the company had quite a few opportunities for career advancement for those who showed initiative and leadership capabilities. Just like most large corporations the department(s) you work in and Manager you work for will determine if you enjoy your job or not. I have to say that I enjoyed each Manager that I worked for and department that I worked in.

The direction of Ashford University definitely changed for the positive after Dr. Pattenaude became President / CEO. He is an inspirational person who leads you to believe in the University mission. Students & employees should be happy that Dr. P is at the helm of Ashford University.

Cons

Unfortunately, the reality of Ashford University for the past couple years:

- increased govt. scrutiny & competition in for profit higher education industry causing a stressful work environment and constant fear of losing accreditation and potentially being shut down
    - year over year reduction in student enrollments causing layoffs
    - productive employees (Management & Staff) with quarterly / annual review scores of 4+ out of 5 being laid off due to budget cuts

The life of a student advisor

Current Employee - Student Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Student Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, decent insurance options, and a good level of autonomy. I can come in almost any hour in the morning I want as long as I work my 8 hours and leave before 6pm. I work on my own pace and learn which tasks are a priority to complete. Coaching and counseling students feel rewarding. They allow quite a bit of overtime. The feeling of helping a student through their journey to graduate is great too. I saw a couple of my students at their graduation and it made it all worth it.

Cons

The people I work with are incredible, and the managers are pretty cool people too. I feel frustrated with the more business-minded leaders push high expectations on the advisors that I feel like a sales person trying to keep students in.

The leadership has improved significantly. My advise to managers is to never forget your student advising days, but also remember that the expectations were different then and the new expectations are harsher than when they were in my position.

Mostly positive experience with a solid company.

I have been working at Ashford University full-time

Pros

Good pay and work environment.

Cons

It can get stressful at times.

You gotta give them what you get paid for!

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and company benefits are really great. Also, depending on your manager you can have a great work environment.

Cons

High turnover rate, change is constant, no loyalty to employee

Don't drink the Kool-Aid!

Too much rollover hiring, not enough training

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay was great, $18.75 per hour. That's the only thing great about this company.

Cons

Every three months they hire new edu-telemarketers. That's all this job is. Your telemarketing, making calls on internet leads for people who expressed interest or accidentally clicked on a college ad. As a recruiter, you are sharing that lead with other online schools. Highly competitive and the leads are really bad. You end up calling the same person ten times per day.

Ask a lot of questions

I worked at Ashford University

Pros

Benefits were pretty good for the position

Cons

Too many to list here.

Hire experienced management rather than cheap inexperienced people

Could not stand sitting in a cubicle making 150+ calls a day

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is pretty good for a recent college grad. Employees are very fun to work with... all in the same age group (recently just graduated college). Great location in downtown Denver. Many restaurants and bars to go to after work.

Cons

Everything. Management is awful. They will treat you like a child. Even if you exceed, you are still getting paid the same amount as everyone else. This is a sales job, it needs to be commission-based. Managers are all micro-mangers, you even have to let them know when you are going to the bathroom. You have to work here for about 4-5 years to even be considered a promotion or raise. Be prepared to make about 150+ calls a day until you finally find a potential student and beg them to come to our school and soon find out that they will drop out within weeks.

Stop the micro-managing. Stop the high school drama. There is so much jealousy and fighting between teams, it is so ridiculous.

Admissions Counselor

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people you work with on your team are probably the only good thing about being at Ashford. They're generally all great and helpful people.

Cons

They are strictly numbers oriented with no consideration for the actual students you're enrolling. They don't care if the person is mentally unfit to be a student or has the IQ of a toddler, they just want their money from people you sign-up. The place will tell you different when you first begin working there and while you're in training but don't be fooled, if you're not producing enough students (regardless of how many qualified people you talk to) you'll soon be fired. The people we enroll often have no business even thinking about school. They are simply there to get a student loan check.

Quit the charade and tell it like it is.

Went through some rough patches, trying to make positive changes.

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall the leadership is trying to place student success and learning as a top priority. We have some great leaders, we have received WASC accreditation, and we have policies and practices in place to continue to make positive improvements overall.

Cons

Politics has always been a bit of an issue. For the last few years certain departments feel they are always fighting for resources in order to do their job well. Not much room for additional opportunities at this time. Again, leadership is aware of many of these issues or concerns and are listening to their employees and care about making changes to improve culture and productivity.

Keep listening to your employees and let us know you are listening by responding will solutions.

Ashford University Photos