www.ashford.edu

Updated 26 November 2014
2.5

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude
Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • The company offers relatively good benefits (in 30 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of time put in (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sales job regardless of how they spin verbiage (in 17 reviews)

• Senior Management is very reactive and any type of job security is non-existent (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Cyclical Cycle of Shame

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A decent wage and strong benefits package. Many really talented people (however they dont stay long)

Cons

Faculty are expected to engage students when students are not engaged in school but focused on Financial Aid stipends. Admissions Counselors are expected to "care for" student when this company (not school) care more about profits and the bottom line that its people or students. Understandable this is a company on the stock exchange and all operations are focused around quarterly earnings, however this short sighted profit cycle always lead what other reviewers call AU -- "Profit driven" "Sales Driven" "Initiatives are ever changing with a lack of focus". Executive management are profit puppets and lack true long sightedness in an ever challenging For Profit Education Industry. As long as the "profit are over people policy" continues, AU wil continue to stumble and stagnate along the for profit education timeline.

Get out while you can. You are as about as valuable as the 10% cuts that happen every year. The industry you are in is over-saturated, and non profits are moving online.

300+ phone calls in 8 hours...

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay for the work required. Hour long lunch, good facility, people are really nice. Bachelor's Education paid for after 6 months of employment. Benefits are above average. Opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Monotonous work, micromanaged to the second, High turn over rate, must meet enrollment goals or you are "coached." You are an "admissions counselor" but really you are a sales telemarketer for a for-profit school calling leads and influencing enrollment.

Develop a way to analyze database quality and ensure productivity is reflected. Luck of the database is a real aspect, and some ACs have better databases and don't get incorrect or bad transfers from Student Inquiry Counselors.

Roller Coaster

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits, great pay, great mentors, great experience, good stepping stone.

Cons

Challenges working there are calling the same database every single day. Over and over and over and over, until the person on the other line finally tells you to take them off the list and stop calling them. Turnover, huge turnover. It's all about the numbers if you don't meet your numbers then you're tossed like last night's dinner. Despite the whole number thing you are given a warning ahead of time it's not a complete shock or anything.

Let the termination process be known at time of hire.

Corruption runs deep

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, TX (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and coworkers. There are some great people in positions that are going no where.

Cons

Unfortunately, there is no hope for this company. The mid-level management is manipulative and corrupt. The company uses trickery to scare the employees into enrolling more people into their programs. It is well understood that it is a business and they are there to make money. The students and lower level employees are who suffer. I would not recommend this company or the school. Trust me you can find a better job overall, don't be inticed by pay. And the truth is, if you don't preform they will FIRE you anyway. Save yourself the anxiety of working for a place where you can never win. Don't believe me, google their reviews: students, staff and the government. Abandon Ship!!!

Get a clue. Read what your employees and students are saying and stop promoting peoples friends. Just because you can enroll a student doesn't make you management material!

A good experience in the beginning but that changed drastically.

Former Employee - Associate Faculty in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Faculty in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for the amount of time put in.

Cons

When I first began teaching for Ashford in 2008, it was a great experience. I enjoyed the curriculum and I worked with several students that I really felt would make great teachers. As time when on, I began to notice that the students admitted to Ashford University were coming in with serious academic deficits. As an instructor for Ashford's undergraduate education program, I was horrified by the inability of these would-be/future teachers to put together coherent, grammatically correct sentences. This started to make sense as the media began to pick up stories about Ashford's less than ethical diploma mill practices.

About 2012, the focus of the program shifted so instructors were given "suggested" responses to provide students when giving feedback or following up on online posts. If the scripted responses were not used and, heaven forbid, you responded authentically and individually, the instructional specialist overseeing your class would give a negative evaluation for the class. From 2008 to 2012, I had near perfect reviews from the students and corporate. When the canned responses became the expectation, the students weren't happy and unhappy students mean that corporate isn't happy either. I was asked to teach a class in early 2013. It was clear that the curriculum wasn't fully developed. I felt it was a disservice to the students, both academically and financially. I also received complaints from students in my class about the lack of coherence in the program which I passed along to the corporate office in San Diego. When I was "encouraged" to use the canned responses and basically stick to the script, I informed the faculty member who had written the class that I would continue to respond in a manner that would help my students and further more, I would not be issuing any failing grades for that section since I didn't feel the students should be penalized for Ashford's lack of planning. Shockingly, I was not asked to teach any more classes....

If you are an educator who invests deeply in your students, avoid Ashford. You will not be allowed to truly teach. If you're looking for an easy side job and ok with sticking to the script, then I would say go for it.

Let teachers actually teach and if you want satisfied "customers" then stop setting students up for failure by enrolling them in college level courses when they lack the basic skills needed to be successful.

The job changes so constantly that I've never really felt like I was empowered to do the job well.

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fair pay, strong benefits, good location

Cons

more work than time, frustrating, never what it is supposed to be, bad training, inconsistant enforcement, inconsistent rewards, no room to move up, no room to move laterally, never feel like you make a difference

There is too much! No advice would really help, because the issues are so global.

Ashford University

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part of working for AU is the benefits. Great health benefits (CIGNA) and you can attend the university for free after you have worked there for 6 months. Work schedule is Monday-Friday! No weekends unless you choose to work overtime

Cons

Constant changes and high turnover rates makes it very hard to feel that you have job security

Unrealistic expectations

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Downtown location, good people, fun atmosphere

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, Stressful, No training, Not clear on position

Be more clear about the position during the interview

Great for the right people

Current Employee - Financial Services Manager in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, team atmosphere, freedom to design and implement solution, good co-workers, free school!!!!

Cons

Non of the pros apply if you have the wrong boss

Get rid of your bad managers and above. You have good people who deserve an opportunity to grow and develop.

A culture of micromanagement will make your life misery

Current Employee - Associate Faculty (Online) in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Faculty (Online) in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Ashford University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Telecommuting can be good for your work-life balance. With 24/7 Tech support, you have little to no technical worries. And your students will have very attentive academic advisors looking out for them.

Cons

"Instructional specialists" and program chairs go through phases when it's as if they are declaring war on faculty. They scrutinize your classes every week to see what isn't perfect. Did you respond to %100 of the students in discussion this week? They focus on every little thing that a person doesn't do right in a class, which always gives the impression that they don't know enough about academic subjects to ever appreciate the intellectual contributions of faculty.

Managers seem very unhappy.Try to communicate positivity. You'll still be unhappy, but at least you won't make your faculty members miserable too.

Ashford University Photos