Associated Estates Realty

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeffrey I. Friedman

Overall Great Company

Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work-life balance (very little overtime), no weekends (at my property), good vacation/sick/personal time off, closed on major holidays, friendly work environment, participate in charities, some performance based bonuses

ConsHealth care is very expensive, tight budgets make it difficult to obtain bonuses

Advice to Senior Managementmore affordable health care, more realistic budgets set

Wonderful work environment!

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsGreat compensation and benefits.

Excellent properties

ConsIt is a sales position, so if someone comes in at 1 min. till close you suit their needs. (not really a horrible thing)

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you're training your consultants. And while social media is great, Twitter Facebook and especially Pintrest and not effective means of advertising.

I have enjoyed MANY MANY years working for Associated Estates!

Property Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI have found this to be an excellent company and have grown from leasing, to assistant Property manager and then to Property Manager. The benefits are good, the opportunities to make additional income based on performance are great, the training is very good and I love that they are keeping up with the trends and current technology. Often, employees are given extra recognition and are often rewarded when they have done something above/beyond expectations. The company puts money into the properties every year and I completely agree with the direction in which the company is expanding - selling and buying. I feel Associated Estates has very knowledgeable and talented employees that keep this company moving in the right direction.

ConsPerformance is always very challenging every year. The expectations are set very high but not out of reach with hard work. They do expect every employee to be willing to contribute to the success by often doing things that may be considered outside of your own job description, but that is what team work is and the entire staff is rewarded when goals are met. I have seen many different managers over the years, some better than others. Some managers do make threats and lay blame when goals are not met, but there are the good ones too that help find the solutions or will give support when unexpected circumstances cause low performance and help keep everyone motivated for success.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to focus on rewarding and keeping the talent that you have because it is a great loss to many when those good ones leave. Also, recruiting new employees when positions are open needs more support and active looking and maybe better pay for the skills desired. The property, like any office, suffers when they are under-staffed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shady Company! Doesn't Care About It's Employees!

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) Westlake, OH (US)

ProsThere are none! They could care less about you as a person! They also will do absolutely nothing to solve any work conflicts you may have with another co worker!

ConsTERRIBLE Management! Management dictates to you what needs to be done, criticize your work, and will even make you do things that are not in your job description! Such as: if you're a Leasing Consultant, you will be made to go outside for AN ENTIRE DAY, picking up trash and dog feces on property, without using a bag....they will hand you gloves and expect you to pick it up with your hands! Which anyone in leasing knows that makes you miss out on sales and money in your pocket

If you bring these issues to upper management's attention, guess what? You WILL be fired!!!!!!

So unless you want to be miserable and have to live with working with an uneducated, unprofessional person, DO NOT work here!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a better management that doesn't think they are still working for a Section 8 Property and someone with professionalism.

Also, listen to the feedback from your employees and notice that you have lost two (now three) employees in the past 6 months because of the poor management skills at this location!

Very Discouraging company to work for.

Property Manager (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsIt is always better to have a job then none, no wants to sleep on a park bench or eat out of a trash can. However, don't be fooled, if you get hired, keep looking, you don't want to make this your perminate employment

ConsEverything will be going well as long as you are making money, I don't care if you have been making money for 2 years straight, the second you stop performing they are all over you, threatening your job. I am not saying it isn't important to make money, because it is, but there are natural ups and downs in the apartment business. I feel if the year ends showing a profit it is good, not here. Be prepared to make money regardless of whom you need to screw, employees, residents, whoever, you MUST make money. If it means you paint your own homes, clean them or shampoo them, that is what you do. When you sit in a customer service training class and hear the trainer say that "Good customer service starts with a budget" I knew it wasn't for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't matter what advice you give them, they will ignore it, but just incase, in the 15 years I worked in the business before I was hired by you I was taught that good customer service starts with the manager/employees....

Doesn't care about their employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-None as far as I'm concerned other than it pays the bills

Cons-Doesn't listen to it's employee's suggestions about how to help make the office run more efficiently
    -None of the programs ever function properly, making your job frustrating
    -They need to update their programs and catch up with the times..in my opinion cant handle the new market they are trying to get into
    -Can't train their employee's, yet act shocked when you get a negative score on your video/phone shop, threatening to write you up and then posting it in a monthly email along with everyone else's score for the month for all to see
    -CHEAP
    -They want two person properties but only want a manager and leasing (leaving the leasing to basically: manage new prospects/tours, follow up, answer phone and emails, handle all new leases and required paperwork, filing, marketing, blogging, posting to craigslist three times a day, market surveys, account billing, renewals, managing current residents and maintenance requests, planning resident functions and the list goes on and on all for $12 an hour....can you say UNDERPAID!!! Oh and lets go ahead and give you only $50 for every renewal and new lease and split it with everyone in the office but we will give outside relators $500 for just bringing someone in.
    -The list goes on and on

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat your employee's and maybe you wouldn't have so much turn over.

Amazing Company

Property Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsI love the quality, professionalism and standards this company stands for. The entire corporate staff is always available when needed. I love working for AEC.

ConsI wish they had more career opportunities in Orlando

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee)

ProsOffice co-workers are nice, there is a lot of talent on the office level (but WAY underpaid!)

ConsEVERYTHING-where do I begin? Lack of business sense at the top, ok with losing valuable talent, no idea of how to budget, the list goes on and on

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees and PAY THEM! You underpay such amazing talent! You are losing big time! Get some business advice from an outsider!

sad to see it lose its way - hope it finds the way back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

Prosoverall employees are hard working and loyal and made each other feel part of a common goal
    individual employees at lower and mid level still value ethics and will do what's right even if its not popular

Consfor the last 4 years changes and additions in top executives and their individual goals has led to a very dissatisfactory path for shareholders and stakeholders
    diversity is minimal especially at the top - mainly middle aged, Caucasian, Midwestern males
    if you don't fit into the mold it will be an uphill battle - company has lost valuable resources by not being open to divergent people and ideas
    a few of the higher level employees that set the tone or are held in high esteem are arrogant and disrespectful to those under them in hierarchy and its ignored and tolerated

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the street - get back to running stable properties in markets that the company does well in historically
    promote from within - pare down the top and empower the bottom layers
    stop scape-goating and deal with the real issues

Decent for a short term job, not a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richmond Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)

ProsNot too much. Every once in a while they will give you free food

ConsThe management likes to micromanage there, you will never be able to lead your own projects or talk about your ideas. They need to know what your doing every second of the day. No room for advancement, growth or training.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely need to restructure, reorganize and start caring about all employees

Worked for Associated Estates Realty? Contribute to the Community!