Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday(in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees(in 19 reviews)

• Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them(in 18 reviews)

Worst company ever worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHonestly can't even think of anything positive of Autonomy, sadly. It had great brand name of Interwoven, people were great

ConsIn APAC, it was a nightmare. Past management prior HP acquisition was a total shocker. Poor leadership (locally and globally). Product marketing is half baked. Sales ppl ware asked to perform regardless. Unfortunately, this is not the place to be if you want to contribute to a proper working environment that you could excel in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees and customers.

Not working.

ProsThere are many great people working here, but not enough. They are all holding on. There are good places to burrow in. There is no real pressure to perform, so you can have security, almost like a government job.

ConsThe technology is rotten. Management is a slumlord. There is no appetite to rearchitect, refactor, rewrite, so the product line is struggling to keep scale with existing client data/demands. Look at the timeline of the companies Autonomy comprises. All of that stuff is still around, like a museum of technology in the 1990s. Smell opportunity? Please! It will take you so long to achieve anything it will make you look bad interviewing for your next job. Money is only available in the wake of a crisis, so you'll be muddling-through. Good ideas are scary. Basic stuff you need to manage crises are broken too: the network, for example, is pathologically broken due to integration problems since the merger. There's more, but trust me, you don't really want to know.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease! ... as if they care. You'll never pay for the acquisition deal losses, so kick back and enjoy the ride, right? It will take another decade for clients to abandon Autonomy, so the gravy train will keep flowing and the decline will match expenses recouped through employee attrition. Maybe you can replace experienced staff with gullible recent grads? A cakewalk! 100% play-acting! HP had better buy some more (new) companies with products to replace 90% of the Autonomy stuff if they want to keep those lucrative clients locked in.

Good Overall Experience

Project Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsCasual workplace, approachable management, earnest desire to improve.

ConsConvoluted technological tools, rigid workflow, slow to respond to change and/or off the mark with industry standards.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed the pay, but was never trained properly & held to unreasonable production standards.

Business Development Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat pay & benefits! Organized sports after work against other company reams here in SF & good morale amongst coworkers. Free catered lunches weekly!

ConsUpper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees. The sales/BDA goals are extremely unrealistic. I have led my sales team in all my prior positions, but at this company I never hit my weekly quota, nor did 90% of my peers in my department.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. Spend a day doing what they/we do & see exactly what we are up against & then set production goals based on that. REALISTIC, Attainable Goals.

Suffocating Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWorked on a great sub-team with great people, which was the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Free Friday lunch.

ConsTerrible culture. Micro-managing leadership. Lack of product vision in areas with limited experience. Inconsistent messaging to employees. Ridiculous hiring guidelines that could be overturned at any point by the CTO at the time.

Autonomy, Great Company, Top of the line engineers.

Solutions Support Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsGreat products, Great employees, Lots of opportunity to grow. Great benefits for Employees.

ConsNeeds to improve to catch up with competitors.

Was a mess during HP Merger

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosif you had the right opportunities, pay was good

Constoxic company culture, very public leadership issues during merger killed sales cycles.

The company is growing but still pay scale etc, need to be as per market standard

Technical Solutions Cons (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros- less work pressure
    - work-life balance
    - cab facility, food for rotational shift

Cons- compensation less compared to market
    - quality of work
    - queue management
    - less fun activites

About the Compnay

Prosif you are looking for some sort of easy, something similar to govt. desk job, then this is the place for you

Consnot much opportunities. Fresher, avoid it as much as possible

Genuinely Exciting Proposition

Marketing (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat company with a group of employees that are very energising to work among. I joined prior to the acquisition, and have seen so much change throughout the whole organisation, almost entirely for the better. A solid product set with a genuinely exciting story to tell. It's given me opportunities that I would never have had anywhere else.

ConsHP is a very big company, and that inevitably leads to some frustrations. These are probably less problematic for someone joining the company fresh, but it represented quite a shift for existing employees. It can be a lot to get your head round at first, but is something that you can figure out with time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep betting on your people, and keep telling the big story.

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!