Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday (in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it- (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees (in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

The company is growing but still pay scale etc, need to be as per market standard

Technical Solutions Cons (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros- less work pressure
    - work-life balance
    - cab facility, food for rotational shift

Cons- compensation less compared to market
    - quality of work
    - queue management
    - less fun activites

Genuinely Exciting Proposition

Marketing (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat company with a group of employees that are very energising to work among. I joined prior to the acquisition, and have seen so much change throughout the whole organisation, almost entirely for the better. A solid product set with a genuinely exciting story to tell. It's given me opportunities that I would never have had anywhere else.

ConsHP is a very big company, and that inevitably leads to some frustrations. These are probably less problematic for someone joining the company fresh, but it represented quite a shift for existing employees. It can be a lot to get your head round at first, but is something that you can figure out with time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep betting on your people, and keep telling the big story.

HP Autonomy culture a 180. Great place to work now.

Marketing (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsA great mix: still very entrepreneurial and agile with the support and backing of the broader HP.
    Compensation and benefits are fair and competitive. You'll see more equity upside at a startup, but the compensation at HP Autonomy is as good or better than competitors. The previous leadership prior to the acquisition by HP was confrontational and rough on employees but great energy has been spent to turn away from that legacy. The new culture is that of collaboration, rational decisions and empowerment. I'm very comfortable here and expect to make this a long-term fit.

ConsCan be a challenge to get the attention of HP Corp. Processes and rules that apply to the legacy HP business don't always work for a fast moving software group/company. And HP Corp hasn't yet figured out all the nuances between hardware and software. Can make processes challenging. Also, as is the case in all aggressive software groups, the pace is extreme. Can create late nights at time... But the staff feeds off this energy... Really a pro for many of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake big bets. Take more risks in markets. Invest even more in R&D. Let's turn this into a rocket ship!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

Prosoffice culture, city workingmn environment

Consbad management and lack of communication

Don't work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home (when not traveling). Free Friday lunch and bagels on Wednesday mornings. Many exceptional people work here.

ConsMany unhappy customers. Bad management. Unethical sales teams. Products not as good as advertised and lagging behind the competition. No true integrated solutions, just components that should work together but don't. Unpredictable travel requirements. No career development opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all of the legacy Autonomy managers, they have no idea how to run a company. Reduce the number of products being developed and renew the focus on quality. Try actually using your company's own products.

HP can't fix Autonomy fast enough

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting technology but for the most part, totally oversold. The existing customer base has not been served well and it is impossible to sell again to existing customers due to their poor experience.

ConsManagement has been slow to remove the old Autonomy guard. The culture is very much at odds with traditional HP. In short the many of the core solutions do not work or are so heavyweight that it takes an army of consultants to make it work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate Autonomy into HP SW - align the sales teams so there is not so much duplication.

Not the old Autonomy

Business Development (Current Employee)

ProsHP culture is leaking in...good stuff, products are being reinvigorated, new product coming out, the analysts now like what we are doing and the world seems bright again

ConsLarge company, with the associated processes, but at least there are processes...not like before--everything was single-threaded through one man, the former founder, who wasn't very good at it and really could not get out of his own way, to be quite frank.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the journey of transformation, keep communicating and leading by example

A sad dream for HP

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Paris (France)

ProsA good technology. A real potential in France, bigger than the original market called the search engine.
    Great HP network.

ConsAcquisition by HP which doesn't know what information management is. HP doesn't know the Autonomy market. Will become a bad acquisition like Palm or EDS.
    Old products (WCM, DAM, records management, ...) compared to competitors and customer requests. Lack of R&D.
    Bad image at many French customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire relevant managers with IM background, not only excel managers. This way, they'll be able to set the right strategy for Autonomy

Better since the HP Acquisition

Technical Consultant III (Current Employee)

ProsManagement seems to take more of an interest in taking care of customers since the HP acquisition
    Great coworkers
    Relaxed atmosphere
    Flexible scheduling

ConsMassive cuts to bonuses since the HP acquisition
    Software still has many core issues/bugs
    Software is often oversold leading to customer complaints
    HP is such an enormous company its hard to feel connected to anything but your home office
    Engineering is still very much a closed off world, seemingly disconnected from the reality of how the software actually works
    More of a focus on metrics as opposed to quality of work since the HP acquisition
    No pride in the work from anyone in the company
    Everyone I've spoken to internally detests our software, sales practices, and has no faith what-so-ever in the company (this includes having no faith in the HP parent organization).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on getting the core software solid and bug free - its currently an embarrassment. This isn't a start-up company but the software quality is that of a beta from a start-up. Only within the last few months were sprints started for engineering - before that the release schedule would be over a year between updates. This is a step in the right direction, but without continued pressure its going to be far too little far too late. The only reason the company hasn't gone under is because of overly aggressive sales (the sales guys could probably sand to a guy dying of thirst) and our competitors not having much better offering. Basing your strategy on being just a little better than mediocre competitors is not a good way to inspire employee loyalty.

Not Bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture in the office. Meg Whitman is a fantastic and visionary CEO.

ConsPoor compensation in terms of salary. Little opportunities for career growth.

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!