Autonomy

Updated 10 November 2014
2.5

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns
Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday (in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it- (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • maybe that the upper management could have more direction in what they are doing (in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Genuinely Exciting Proposition

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with a group of employees that are very energising to work among. I joined prior to the acquisition, and have seen so much change throughout the whole organisation, almost entirely for the better. A solid product set with a genuinely exciting story to tell. It's given me opportunities that I would never have had anywhere else.

Cons

HP is a very big company, and that inevitably leads to some frustrations. These are probably less problematic for someone joining the company fresh, but it represented quite a shift for existing employees. It can be a lot to get your head round at first, but is something that you can figure out with time.

Keep betting on your people, and keep telling the big story.

HP Autonomy culture a 180. Great place to work now.

Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great mix: still very entrepreneurial and agile with the support and backing of the broader HP.
    Compensation and benefits are fair and competitive. You'll see more equity upside at a startup, but the compensation at HP Autonomy is as good or better than competitors. The previous leadership prior to the acquisition by HP was confrontational and rough on employees but great energy has been spent to turn away from that legacy. The new culture is that of collaboration, rational decisions and empowerment. I'm very comfortable here and expect to make this a long-term fit.

Cons

Can be a challenge to get the attention of HP Corp. Processes and rules that apply to the legacy HP business don't always work for a fast moving software group/company. And HP Corp hasn't yet figured out all the nuances between hardware and software. Can make processes challenging. Also, as is the case in all aggressive software groups, the pace is extreme. Can create late nights at time... But the staff feeds off this energy... Really a pro for many of us.

Make big bets. Take more risks in markets. Invest even more in R&D. Let's turn this into a rocket ship!

Software Engineer

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

office culture, city workingmn environment

Cons

bad management and lack of communication

Don't work here

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home (when not traveling). Free Friday lunch and bagels on Wednesday mornings. Many exceptional people work here.

Cons

Many unhappy customers. Bad management. Unethical sales teams. Products not as good as advertised and lagging behind the competition. No true integrated solutions, just components that should work together but don't. Unpredictable travel requirements. No career development opportunity.

Get rid of all of the legacy Autonomy managers, they have no idea how to run a company. Reduce the number of products being developed and renew the focus on quality. Try actually using your company's own products.

HP can't fix Autonomy fast enough

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting technology but for the most part, totally oversold. The existing customer base has not been served well and it is impossible to sell again to existing customers due to their poor experience.

Cons

Management has been slow to remove the old Autonomy guard. The culture is very much at odds with traditional HP. In short the many of the core solutions do not work or are so heavyweight that it takes an army of consultants to make it work.

Integrate Autonomy into HP SW - align the sales teams so there is not so much duplication.

Not the old Autonomy

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HP culture is leaking in...good stuff, products are being reinvigorated, new product coming out, the analysts now like what we are doing and the world seems bright again

Cons

Large company, with the associated processes, but at least there are processes...not like before--everything was single-threaded through one man, the former founder, who wasn't very good at it and really could not get out of his own way, to be quite frank.

Continue on the journey of transformation, keep communicating and leading by example

Not Bad

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Great culture in the office. Meg Whitman is a fantastic and visionary CEO.

Cons

Poor compensation in terms of salary. Little opportunities for career growth.

disorganized operation!

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Able to work independently. Learning experience. Newly created position with many challenges.

Cons

No raises or bonuses in two years!! High turnover. When HP took over my position in finance became extremely frustrating with the micro management mentality! My position was newly created & an uphill challenge to say the least! Myself & two colleagues without little supervision made remarkable strides. The manager @ HP had zero experience & would constantly send emails reminding up what to do! So happy my position was relocated!!

To retain good talent you must pay well & don't continue to have the arrogant attitude "if you don't like it leave"! In my two year tenure I've seen top talent abandon ship!

Starting job here

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is good place for student just graduate from university. It is starting job.

Cons

No salary increase , benefit is getting worse. Many people leave after it sold to HP.

Terrible

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People from companies acquired by Autonomy are descent people.

Cons

Horrible management philosophy. Treat employees like crap.

To HP management...clean house!