Autonomy Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

2.3

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns
Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday (in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it- (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees (in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

HP can't fix Autonomy fast enough

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting technology but for the most part, totally oversold. The existing customer base has not been served well and it is impossible to sell again to existing customers due to their poor experience.

Cons

Management has been slow to remove the old Autonomy guard. The culture is very much at odds with traditional HP. In short the many of the core solutions do not work or are so heavyweight that it takes an army of consultants to make it work.

Integrate Autonomy into HP SW - align the sales teams so there is not so much duplication.

A sad dream for HP

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Paris (France)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros

A good technology. A real potential in France, bigger than the original market called the search engine.
    Great HP network.

Cons

Acquisition by HP which doesn't know what information management is. HP doesn't know the Autonomy market. Will become a bad acquisition like Palm or EDS.
    Old products (WCM, DAM, records management, ...) compared to competitors and customer requests. Lack of R&D.
    Bad image at many French customers.

Hire relevant managers with IM background, not only excel managers. This way, they'll be able to set the right strategy for Autonomy

disorganized operation!

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Able to work independently. Learning experience. Newly created position with many challenges.

Cons

No raises or bonuses in two years!! High turnover. When HP took over my position in finance became extremely frustrating with the micro management mentality! My position was newly created & an uphill challenge to say the least! Myself & two colleagues without little supervision made remarkable strides. The manager @ HP had zero experience & would constantly send emails reminding up what to do! So happy my position was relocated!!

To retain good talent you must pay well & don't continue to have the arrogant attitude "if you don't like it leave"! In my two year tenure I've seen top talent abandon ship!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Starting job here

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is good place for student just graduate from university. It is starting job.

Cons

No salary increase , benefit is getting worse. Many people leave after it sold to HP.

Better since the HP Acquisition

Current Employee - Technical Consultant III
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant III

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros

Management seems to take more of an interest in taking care of customers since the HP acquisition
    Great coworkers
    Relaxed atmosphere
    Flexible scheduling

Cons

Massive cuts to bonuses since the HP acquisition
    Software still has many core issues/bugs
    Software is often oversold leading to customer complaints
    HP is such an enormous company its hard to feel connected to anything but your home office
    Engineering is still very much a closed off world, seemingly disconnected from the reality of how the software actually works
    More of a focus on metrics as opposed to quality of work since the HP acquisition
    No pride in the work from anyone in the company
    Everyone I've spoken to internally detests our software, sales practices, and has no faith what-so-ever in the company (this includes having no faith in the HP parent organization).

Focus on getting the core software solid and bug free - its currently an embarrassment. This isn't a start-up company but the software quality is that of a beta from a start-up. Only within the last few months were sprints started for engineering - before that the release schedule would be over a year between updates. This is a step in the right direction, but without continued pressure its going to be far too little far too late. The only reason the company hasn't gone under is because of overly aggressive sales (the sales guys could probably sand to a guy dying of thirst) and our competitors not having much better offering. Basing your strategy on being just a little better than mediocre competitors is not a good way to inspire employee loyalty.

Not the old Autonomy

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

HP culture is leaking in...good stuff, products are being reinvigorated, new product coming out, the analysts now like what we are doing and the world seems bright again

Cons

Large company, with the associated processes, but at least there are processes...not like before--everything was single-threaded through one man, the former founder, who wasn't very good at it and really could not get out of his own way, to be quite frank.

Continue on the journey of transformation, keep communicating and leading by example

Not Bad

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Great culture in the office. Meg Whitman is a fantastic and visionary CEO.

Cons

Poor compensation in terms of salary. Little opportunities for career growth.

No intent to work hard for this company

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Knew that working on litigation software was the right business direction

Cons

Didn't treat employees respectfully. Slave driving parent company that didn't value the competency of company that it purchased. Employees felt they were treated as second class citizens, only be told what to do, instead of integrating with main company

Terrible

Former Employee - Sales Engineer  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

People from companies acquired by Autonomy are descent people.

Cons

Horrible management philosophy. Treat employees like crap.

To HP management...clean house!

Nice Technology Company

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

Full of smart people. Young Company. Good benefits

Cons

Not very transparent. Long working hours. Management not responsive

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!