Avantia Reviews

Updated 28 February 2015
2 reviews filtered by
2.6
CEO

1. An excellent, reputable and well-manged local IT shop with deep roots in the market and the sector.

Former Employee - Practice Director
    Former Employee - Practice Director

I worked at Avantia (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depth, credibility, passion, history and a legendary local leader. Has made it through most difficult years of growth and through two recessions.

Cons

Sometimes a local market focus limits the point of view and larger sense of where the industry is headed.

Advice to Management

Keep advertising (sponsoring on local NPR station). Name recognition counts. Possibly consider creating an advisory board with alumni and industry leaders.

2. Avantia Inc was not a good fit for me, but others may be able to thrive

Former Employee - N/A in Independence, OH (US)
    Former Employee - N/A in Independence, OH (US)

I worked at Avantia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The business concept behind Avantia is excellent. The company is very client driven. They use technology that is best for the client. The president of the company is a good person and is genuine, sometimes taking employees out to lunch or will have company dinners. Home office is a nice workspace. If you are in the home office, they are great with flex time and working from home when you need to do that.

Cons

The structure of the company was never explained in depth, so I really didn't know what I was coming into. This company shows promise, but really needs to define roles to employees. I was hired for a position that I never ended up doing. My client kept me for the duration of my contract with busy work (basic data entry). After my contract ended, I was back in the home office, often shifted around to different projects, and given various tasks, none of the tasks were what I was hired for. Roles are not clearly defined in this company and if people are hired for something other than a developer, they can end up doing the grunt work. I didn't really get to do what I was hired to do during the time I was at Avantia and I feel like I lost a year of time that could have spent developing my technological skills. There really is no training or defined workflow. Offices may be closed for holidays, but you have to use your vacation time to cover the holiday. Everyone in the company is a stranger to each other, there really isn't much opportunity to network with other employees.

Advice to Management

Define company objectives to potential employees. Check up on employees that are working offsite more often. Carve out defined roles for employees, along with departmental structure. Assess employee skill sets, match them with tasks and projects that are within their range, and offer training/suggestions to build skills. Keep employees informed of what is going on with the company (who is working for what client, what projects are being worked on, projects coming up, etc.) Better onboarding process for new employees (clearly define who has what role in the company, what tools are used in the company, give employees time to familiarize themselves with the project and the company they are going to be contracted to). Train employees how to interact with clients and company's expectations for an employee that is on assignment. Give employees paid holidays and not have them use paid time off for that.