Avery Dennison

Avery Dennison Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Avery Dennison Chairman, President, & CEO Dean A. Scarborough

Dean A. Scarborough

Pros:
  • "good careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Fun work environment with a good work life balance"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Used to have work-life balance, now it's just talk"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Like any large corporation, the company is run for the benefit of upper management"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very Great Place to work Independently and really friendly environment.

Officer Customer Services (Current Employee)
Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Environment and safety issue.

ConsInternal workflow slow have to depend on other department too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate Internal Applications.

IT Outsourcing

Oracle Applications Database Administrator (Former Employee)
Miamisburg, OH (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood severance provided. Nice manager. Cut to the minimum for short term gain. Look good on paper and not to worry about tomorrow.

ConsSudden notification of job elimination. Never realized career professional development talked about on paper. Hard work and no incentive to do better.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement by walking around. Talk to the grass and root. Get a sense what needs to be done.

Not good for career growth only for people looking for a stable , so get out as fast as you can if you want to grow

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for less than a year

ProsThe job is stable , good benefits in terms of healthcare and compensation for a starting role.

ConsThis is by far the worst company I have worked for. Management is pathetic- they have no clue what their subordinates are doing though they are paid more than 10 times of a fresh graduate employee.Employee evaluation is not based on job performance or workload but purely on impression, people who do no work get promoted and the others work their ass off for years with no reward or recognition or career growth. There is no focus on team work or projects because everyone is interested in impressing the boss by putting the blame on someone else rather than resolving the real issues or understanding the problems. Meetings are merely debate contests with no action items so it is all talk and no action.
Too much buraeucracy and different levels for escalations especially with the IT, it takes way too much time to get things done so it is very frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease get out of your office and interact more with employees from all levels in your organization to know what are the real issues affecting the company. Fancy powerpoint slides and closed loop discussions are completely useless if you have no clue what your subordinates are doing. Please ensure to take your team members's feedback before making crucial decisions affecting them.

No work-life balance

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time

ProsIf you like paper, colors, and fabric, you'll like this company.The work environment is peaceful and you can order ant supplies you need.

ConsThe offices are nice but the 500 emails received daily can never be addressed. This is a type of company where they dont care about you. They only care about the client. so working til 3am and on weekends is a regular thing.

No Innovation, old management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAvery Dennison is an international environment where you can learn from others

ConsThere is no vision, the company has to drastically change its approach to market

Advice to Senior ManagementChange innovate motivate

A company on the decline with little opportunity for career advancement, unfavorable work/life balance and low salaries.

Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee)
Mentor, OH (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAvery will provide a job but not much in the area of career. If one is looking for work and desires to reside in the greater Cleveland area, it is an "ok" place to seek employment.

ConsThey are typically not a good paying company. They are struggling to stay affloat due to excess capacity in the pressure sensitive market. One of the ways they are offsetting losses is by annually off-loading salaries that are at or above $80K annually and hiring younger, local talent from the nearby schools and universities. If you are not a senior level manager and your salary is at or above $80K, you will be targeted in their "right-sizing/restructuring" efforts.Work life balance is a challenge as well as they are doing more with less people. A declining market along with cost out efforts over the past decade have led to this approach which has resulted in many Process Engineers, Team Leaders and Managers in Operations experiencing "burnout" after 2-3 yrs in their respective roles. Diversity is also lacking at senior level management positions. It only exists at lower level/subordinate positions. They have recently undergone lawsuits for age, gender and racial discrimination (2001, 2003, and 2005) in which they were found liable and/or payed an undisclosed sum in settlements. I would not reccommned this company, particulary the Northeast Ohio Operations, to anyone seeking employment with a company that will value work/life balance or that is looking for a "career home" with whoch they could retire.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance must be improved, more competitive salaries offered and diversity improved at "Senior" level managment positions.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Changing environment. Gradual cultural change since company founder Stan Avery passed away.

Various (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Some very talented, creative, hard working employee's

ConsSr. management focus seemed to change over the years I had been at Avery. Focus went from employee and customer to short term bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employee's and they will take care of your customers.

Packaging & Operations Manager

Packaging & Operations Manager (Current Employee)
Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWork culture & system oriented

ConsDue to Motivational factor and Personal growth

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Stuck in the '80s

Inside Account Representative (Former Employee)
Miamisburg, OH (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for less than a year

ProsWork life balance...most employees are nice.

ConsManagement is stuck in the '80s and are able to grasp that the ways of selling have changed. They need to embrace technology and change and communicate with people the way they want to be communicated with.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange is good embrace it!

Not sure how to manage change

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
Chicopee, MA (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood work/ life balance. Flexible scheduling allowed me to attend children's school functions, etc. Site management cared about the well-being of all employees, and had an almost paternal relationship with the production staff.

ConsOpportunities for advancement (and even training) were very political. If you could get a "patron" senior manager to run block for you, the world was yours. If not, your options were limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to deal with changing markets. You cannot continue to slash your way to prosperity.

Worked for Avery Dennison? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avery Dennison reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Avery Dennison CEO Dean A. Scarborough. All 188 reviews are posted anonymously by Avery Dennison employees.