Avery Dennison Reviews

Updated 21 August 2014

3.4

Avery Dennison Chairman, President, & CEO Dean A. Scarborough
Dean A. Scarborough

Pros
  • good careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ (in 15 reviews)

• Fun work environment with a good work life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Used to have work-life balance, now it's just talk (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management do engage at the production level to relate to all employee group (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great i lived the pople

I have been working at Avery Dennison

Pros

people were great plant was very clean

Cons

The hours were long and early mornings

communicate better

Afraid of change.

I worked at Avery Dennison as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are friendly, nice locations in North Carolina and Georgia.

Cons

No one can make a decision and even when they do it changes several times.

Bring in new senior leadership that is forward thinking and action oriented to drive change.

not sure where this corporation is headed

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

better than average benefits provided. reasonable amount of flexibility, so managing work/life balance is better than most places. compensation is above average in terms of salary.

Cons

don't count on getting your bonus. in the many years I was employed, I believe the bonus payout at 100% happened just a couple of times, not to mention the many times there was no bonus! CEO seems a bit out of touch with how to drive growth for the corporation. not a coincidence that during his tenure the stock price has steadily declined.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good company with very good benefits.

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Avery has a good benefits package and compensates employees well. With locations worldwide, it offers employees a wide range of locations to work in.

Cons

Many US operations are being scaled back or closed all together in favor of moving production to overseas. Management trends over the last 10 years were to commit to projects (large and small), invest time and money only to see the project dropped or never implemented.

Spend more time understanding the requirements of projects, the benefit (good and bad) to the company and the life cycle of the project, its ability to meet future needs.

Boring place to work, nice people

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Brea, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Brea, CA (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The people were friendly, and the environment was fairly pleasant. I got to go home on time every day. There were many people who had been there for years or even decades.

Cons

Work was boring, processes were disorganized, and office culture was totally unexciting. I felt myself wasting away there every day. It was so hard to have any energy for the work.

Try to create a culture shift that attracts young, bright, innovative people.

Good experience overall

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Mentor, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mentor, OH (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good training ground. Standardized processes followed. Fun work environment with a good work life balance. Some truly brilliant people work there. Can't say enough about the quality of my former co-workers.

Cons

Can get trapped in certain groups. Not a lot of room for advancement in my department. Blocked from seeking other opportunities within the company multiple times. Had to move out to move up unfortunately. Smallish marketing budgets.

Let your people grow and they will stay.

supply chain coordinator

Former Employee - Supply Chain Coordinator  in  Wuppertal (Germany)
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Coordinator in Wuppertal (Germany)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great work life balance. good compesation

Cons

i have nothing to say here

keep up to date

Global dynamic interactive culture and Clear vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the company has gone through a period of evolution but feels like it has come out on the right side - vision is much clearer and there is buy in, staff are challenged to strive towards innovative thinking, challenging the status quo and effective execution.
    A great company culture and place to work - it attracts the sort of people that genuinely want to do right and get along with others.

Cons

Still a company that is reliant on relationships and institutional knowledge to get things done versus systems and process.
    Can occasionally be too lenient when it comes to managing poor performance/people issues.

Great place to work

I worked at Avery Dennison

Pros

Family atmosphere, supportive colleagues, opportunities to grow and develop

Cons

nothing bad to say

A distasteful experience so far

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Avery Dennison as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I legitimately can't think of any. I wish I could say I was exaggerating or being biased, but this is simply not a positive place to work. The only pro is that its a job. And in this tough job market you take what you can get. But even then I'd advise you to hold out a little longer and find a place you won't hate having to drive in to every morning.

Cons

Management is terrible here. For a new employee there is usually some type of process where you at least attempt to integrate the person into the culture and the workplace environment. There was zero effort to do this whatsoever, especially on the workplace process side of things. I shouldn't have to beg my manager to know what a standard report should look like. And managers who can barely communicate what they want should not be managers in the first place, because they will inevitably take out their lack of ability on the team and lower morale.

The new work space is nice because its open and bright, but overall its not enough to redeem the company. Its a bit far from good places to eat too, which makes even enjoying your lunch time difficult.

Just because a person was good at their job and managed to not be fired for whatever extended period of time Avery kept them at that level, does not mean that person has the leadership capabilities to be a manager. Avery doesn't seem to get this, and for this reason has a terrible set of managers in place. One VP in particular doesn't even speak to his team directly unless through one person whom he has decided is his favorite. My manager has a severe inability to communicate what she wants, but is insistent on everything being the specific way she wants it. I've heard of other managers completely ignoring their team and then overworking them when senior management starts to ask questions. Its disgusting, really. Classic case of an old school company allowing the old school mentality to run it to the ground.

Worked for Avery Dennison? Contribute to the Community!