Avon Products

Avon Products Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy

Sheri S. McCoy

Pros
  • The people are great to work with and the company is very good with work life balance(in 31 reviews)

• Freedom to work from home as needed(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for(in 20 reviews)

• Upper Management doesn't believe in a proactive method to turn North America around(in 27 reviews)

Nice while it lasted

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Rye, NY (US)

ProsAvon, at least in Rye, has a family oriented atmosphere. The people are great and helpful. I only worked there a year but wish it was longer. Pay decent, benefits ok. Great work life balance. Great culture.

ConsWe all know Avon's issues, so I will not list them here. Upper management is in the middle of a complete restructure. Half of the IT staff, including myself, was let go. There was no rhyme or reason given as to why people were let go. Direction is unclear, as there are rumors of mergers. One of the worst parts of Avon was how unorganized some of their projects can be. How projects are funded make no sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more forthcoming to employees of what you are trying to do. No one seems to have a clue what is happening or is going to happen.

It was a rewarding experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary was competitive and learning opportunities were unlimited.

ConsWork-life balance can still be improved especially at sales departments where targets keep on increasing and everyone need to scramble and attain it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

I was a very successful saleswoman. I am a people person and get along well with others.

Independent Sales Representative (Former Employee) Boynton Beach, FL (US)

ProsI enjoyed working for Avon. I got to work with fashion and made myself and others happy.

ConsWhat you put in is what you put out. I f you work hard you can do very well. I was very dedicated, gave great customer service, which is very important.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to communicate with the other employees to check in for updates. Communication is key for a successful relationship in business and personal

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very rich experience with in direct sales market. Strong Global brand awareness.

ProsStrong and trusted brand
    Global recognition
    Great supporter of issues supporting the wellness of Women

ConsFinding a way to re-energize their sales model

Advice to Senior ManagementMake stragic decisions that support the one to one interaction between a customer and a Sales Representtive

Independent agent

Sales Agent (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsYou set your own hours, discounts, free samples

ConsHard to get ppl to buy itms after it arrives.

Company has lost core values

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany of the District Sales Managers are committed to helping the representative be his or her best. The benefit package is quite nice with all forms of insurance, a fully funded company car, and the opportunity to earn nice bonuses.

ConsThere is great pressure to work seven days a week in order to meet the expectations of "the plan". District Sales Managers have wonderful vacation benefits, but are often pressured to not take vacation or to actually work during the vacation to hit additions plan or order count plan. The base compensation is ok compared to what others make in a small town, but is half of what others make in similar positions for other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lack of honest communication from upper management. Many things are shared by upper management to independent representatives before being shared with District Managers. Of late, key details are shared with the press and never communicated to District Managers. The field management is often pressured or blamed for results even though there is lack of clarity of mission. Avon has lost touch with the representatives. The directive from the Division Manager is often to ignore most of the representatives and only work with the ones who will deliver additions. There are loyal traditional sellers who feel like they are undervalued.

Earning on commission could be better.

Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee) Beaufort, SC (US)

ProsThere are a handful of benefits of having a stay-at-home based business such as receiving discounts on upcoming campaign products, being one of many to try new products before public demand, and becoming your own boss in the comfort of your own home. Start up fee wasn't bad; $10. Since I became a rep in college, I would really suggest this business to seniors in high school and students in college to build experience. Plus having your own business would look good on a resume.

ConsPay is based off commissions. Campaign order must total at least $50 to earn 10-25%.

Lots of pressure to deliver the numbers.

District Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule and has bonus potential. Lots of training available. Great co-workers.

ConsConstant stress over delivering results with a sales environment that is mostly out of my control. Always being threatened of potentially losing my job.

It was fun but not making money.

E-Representative (Former Employee) Mechanicsville, VA (US)

Prosbig orders, big checks,lots of customers

Conspaying percentage of earnings back, not making enough money. not having a whole lot of customers, limited to where you can see/advertise the merchandise

Advice to Senior Managementnot pay percentage of earnings back

Experiences that will make a difference in your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsOpportunity to contribute if you are willing to raise your hand. There is so much to do and for a company that does amazing things for women around the world. The company is largely misunderstood as a brand. Most people, at least in the US think of it as a company that does charity work. In actuality it is a company that creates opportunities for people to start thier own busiesses. You feel good about the mission of the company and have the ability to build a very strong corporate career because of the different operating functions that exist. It's much more than a sales company. Avon creates, manufactures and distributes beauty products globally. The people are dedicated and want the business to be successful for years to come.

ConsSenior leadership is not visible, even in New York where the majority of them sit. Communication about the global business is almost non-existent. I don't think there is much confidence that the senior leadership team is very engaged at this point. Most decisions take a long time and the company is very resistant to trying anything new or innovative in how it thinks about the business or the representatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate beyond your functional areas. Make some decisions and share your vision for the future of the company in detail so that the associates that work so hard to get things right can be as confident as you are on how this company is going to return to profitability.

Worked for Avon Products? Contribute to the Community!