BB&T

Updated 18 August 2014

3.3

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience with BB&T was both good and bad and very challenging..

Former Employee - Financial Center Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

BB&T places high emphasis on continuing education and always has opportunities for growth. The company has excellent benefits.

Cons

For those in branch management positions, the job requires an inordinate amount of time.

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Teller Part Time  in  Boone, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Teller Part Time in Boone, NC (US)

Pros

The team of people whom I worked with were wonderful!
    Get lots of long weekends due to bank holidays.
    You learn a lot about banking

Cons

lunch hours are never consistent

Have a program where all upper management have to have experience from the bottom up, that way the know what to expect and understand what is obtainable by lower end management.

Relationship

Pros

benefits, salary, personal growth, leadership, opportunity.

Cons

short staff, constant shifting, everyone needs to be cross trained, Saturday hours, branch info is horrible.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BB&T teller interview

Current Employee - Part Time Teller  in  Emporia, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Emporia, VA (US)

Pros

good company with great benefits! and off for your birthday. There a lot of branches on the east coast, so you will be able to transfer to different areas. Also have a lot of different career oppurtunities

Cons

Company has had a lot of cut backs lately. Employees that have been there 20+ years have been cut back to part time hours.

Be considerate

Great Entry-Level

Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker  in  Goldsboro, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker in Goldsboro, NC (US)

Pros

Great co-workers, friendly work environment, work/life balance is great, good hours and good benefits. If you are giving your all, you will be recognized. Top notch training! They truly prepare you to fulfill your role and are very keen on additional training classes and seminars.

Cons

Stressful sometimes working under specific sales goals, sales goals are sometimes unrealistic and hard to achieve. Lower level management will help you and encourage you, as long as you have a good manager. Every position is being stretched a little more thin, more responsibilities and less compensation. Like most companies doing more with less.

Be more involved with your branches, take time to remember what it is like to work at the bottom of the chain and the difficulties that are to be overcome there.

Great place to work

Pros

Excellent benefits and compensation, solid company to work for.

Cons

Corporate is in Winston-Salem, hard to advance if unwilling to relocate.

The company has been good to me in the time I worked there.

Current Employee - Senior Teller
    Current Employee - Senior Teller

Pros

BB&T is a good company to work for, there is opportunity to grow and make a career.

Cons

The part that is not working for me is the schedule. It changes every week and I don't feel I have the freedom to work with my time.

Started off good but went down hill

Current Employee - Part Time Teller  in  Wilmington, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Wilmington, NC (US)

Pros

Great people to work with and for, not major sales pressure, great benefits, good work/life balance, good perks, federal holidays and accumulated vacations days off, decent pay in comparison to other banks.

Cons

Been here for a year and have seen a major change in company culture, especially in the past six months. Changes at both branch and corporate levels, making it a bit more stressful, to a point of worry about job security. Past six months have lead to a few layoffs, short staffing which leads to longer wait times and more frustrated clients and no end on sight especially with hiring freeze. Other than that, usual cons especially being part time like having to float to other branches, a few monotonous moments, software and hardware seems a bit dated, but this comes with the territory and job title, if you couldn't handle those simple problems, I'm not sure you could do the job.

The upper management really needs to get its act together and start hiring again. Being short at the teller level adds to stresses of everyone at the branch level. The management inconsistent views have turned from really caring about the client and the employee, to us employees just feeling like a B or C number and clients just being another deposit account or another loan and can and will have to deal with waiting an hour just to get into their safety deposit box or waiting 20 minutes to deposit one check. This hiring freeze and moving people around and short staffing in branches and making us employees feel like crud is really going to drive those good employees that deserve more into roles with other companies and leave you left with those employees that aren't worth a damn and don't care about the job and clients that have gone elsewhere because they may me treated better at another institution.

It all starts at the teller level, start treating us good again and drop the dead weight at the branch and corporate levels and the sky is the limit.

BB&T Once Was a Great Company to Work For

Pros

Decent benefits and office hours are nice

Cons

What has happened to this bank? Thank God I left July 2014! I became part of BB&T in a merger and was immediately pleased and loved the company I worked for. All associates and managers were nice and super supportive. The past year - year and a half... morale is TERRIBLE! This is probably due to enormous layoffs in 2013 and 2014. Unfortunately now if you are an employee or client of BB&T, you are only a number. No appreciation shown for consistently being a top performer. I don't know what went wrong other than maybe John Allison retiring. BB&T is banking BIG BUCKS- why jeopardize your reputation of "PCE" to your clients? I have never seen a bank with so little employees inside. Clients do not like it and frankly- it's NOT SAFE.

What is going on? I was with BB&T for 7 years and was considered a top performer consistently. Morale is HORRIBLE. I know everyone in top management is angry at declining service scores. I am going to be really honest with you... get used to it. By eliminating people in the branch, clients have to wait long periods of time and they don't like it... no matter how you spin it. I feel you have made too drastic and detrimental decisions lately. The Small Town USA's of BB&T are not going to like this change. Unfortunately, you are losing very valuable employees because they are getting better jobs where they are treated better (that is including me- yes I was CONSISTENTLY a top performer). Treat your employees like they are number and they will start doing the same to your clients. Have more realistic views of how a branch ACTUALLY operates than looking on paper and thinking you know how one does. I am very very sad to leave my clients and my associates...what a shame. Think about people and not numbers... this includes clients and associates. Follow your own values.

Cutbacks are going to kill them in the end

Current Employee - Relationship Banker I
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker I

Pros

This is a great company to work for. They have wonderful benefits. Getting my birthday off each year is great.

Cons

This is a "good boy society". If you do not fit into that mold it is difficult to find yourself advancing. The new branch positioning is not going to be a good move for their clients or the personnel that is left in the branches.

Instead of laying people off use your best resources to better this company. The money that is spent on marketing is excessive and a lot of the brochures and posters get thrown away each week because they are constantly changing or we are getting brochures that are already expired. Start using the multicultural branches to actually reach out to the Hispanic community instead of just sticking a label on there.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!