BB&T Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
3.3

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, Bad Management

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful benefits, Great Peak health program that helps pay for insurance. Training programs

Cons

Working on Saturdays, Management is less than Good. No two branches are the same. Its not easy to advance if you are a woman, Cutbacks and hiring freezes are constantly hurting the teller line which hurts the clients. I work at a very small branch that is used to the same people, but since i have been here we are on our 3rd RB (now BB) lost multiple bodies here that are not replaced. Many branches have been severely hurt by the latest "cut backs". We do not feel important as a team. We used to have Teller appreciation week every year but that has stopped and we are not even recognized anymore. If we are the "FACE" of BB$T then we should be shown that we are cared about. We feel undervalued and overlooked. Morale is down to almost 0%!!

Take a Good look at your Market leaders. They are not doing the job you think they are. They are cutting out early on days they shouldn't, and not going on "sales calls". Instead they are using that time to do personal things.Look at the smaller branches that you are hurting with these cutbacks. The more you cut back the less people are walking in the door. They have lost their trust in us as a company. And bring the goals down to a more realistic number. Smaller branches can not do the same as these larger branches do.

Good & not so good

Current Employee - Certified Senior Teller
    Current Employee - Certified Senior Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits such as medical & eye insurance are great. So are the vacation time & holidays.

Cons

The micro-managing & recent employee cuts are nerve-racking. Employee morale is low & client satisfaction seems to be declining. I've been with BB&T for a very long time & have never felt as insecure as I do now. I've seen managers come & go. Wish the one we have now would go.

Managers & customer service people should all pull some teller time. They need to know what we do & go through. They need to show a little more respect & appreciation. They need to decide if they want us to have a sales meeting on Monday morning or get the night deposit bags done before opening.

Happy I got out when I did.....

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work/life balance, benefits (401k, insurance, PENSION), decent dedication to training/continuing education

Cons

The organization is crawling with B-/C+ grade level employees with little experience to fulfill current roles, advancement at BB&T is dependent on 1) interpersonal and sometimes inappropriate relationships and 2) the amount of time you've input, intelligence and work ethic are severely undervalued, middle and senior level management waiver on making clear and concise decisions which makes execution of tasks tedious and impossible, market leaders/regional presidents lack the skill set, professionalism, and influence to advance the banks loan portfolio to a higher quality, executive management has become blinded by the "we haven't lost money x amount of quarters" speech -- they've lost focus on the basic bread and butter items that made the bank TRULY profitable (if you've read How the Mighty Fall, you might be shaking your head in a "this is true", fashion, work load is often uneven, formal mentoring programs lack structure and purpose, RIF's are the new NORM, being a number instead of a person is the new NORM.

Fire non-performers. Period. No excuses or "coaching" them out. Make an example of people who are consistently nonperforming. What's the old adage -- complacency breeds contempt. Think about the implementation of changing processes and think about the full set of consequences before you roll out a process-- especially if you know you are going to change it again in 90 days. Open your pocket book and hire high performing individuals AND hire subject matter experts - not some person who did well on one job who you believe has the capability of tackling a larger, more rigorous, and CRITICAL project. Have a better succession plan -- bringing in outside senior level managers who don't appreciate, respect, or embrace the companies values is damaging, no matter how successful they were in their previous organizations.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A pretty surface with some messed up management...

Former Employee - Relationship Banker
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker

I worked at BB&T full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, PTO, pension plan, great health club called Life Force that encourages a healthy lifestyle for discounts on the health insurance. Employee camaraderie! Lots of teamwork.

Cons

Short staffed, management can be tough on people. They don't like it when you try and get the truth. The market leaders tend to snitch on other employees and if you do something to upset one manager, you can get blacklisted.

Check your Market Leaders calendars and drop by when they say they have all of those appointments - they rarely really exist. Also when an RB says there are issues and multiple other people can confirm the facts, then interview other people. A particular ML likes using their "in" with the boss to avoid having to use the proper channels when it comes to getting rid of someone they don't like.

job insecurity

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

nothing really. only positive thing for me is that it's close to home.

Cons

Summer 2013 they cut a bunch of managers and clustered them to be over 2 or more branches. Summer 2014 they did an additional cut and now managers are clustered to maybe 4 branches minimum. They cut the hours of a bunch of tellers from full to part time to further save on expenses which puts extra workload on the 1 full time employee at the branch with no pay increase. Very unrewarding and stressful and the part timers now have a financial burden with the pay cut. They think it's acceptable for clients to have extended wait times with only 2 employees at the branch which is a security risk.

Need to evaluate the effects of cutting all these hours on employees before making such drastic changes.

Teller

Current Employee - Teller Part Time  in  Rostov-na-Donu (Russia)
    Current Employee - Teller Part Time in Rostov-na-Donu (Russia)

I have been working at BB&T part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, closed holidays, some co workers

Cons

Pay, hours, open Saturdays, having to get referrals

N/a

no room for growth

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The training at BB&T is great

Cons

can not advance due to upper management

it would be nice for management to realize the role that the front line in the branches play in their success and be recognized and be given the opportunity to advance within the company.

Grew up as a community bank - can't be a real commercial bank

Current Employee - Business Service Officer
    Current Employee - Business Service Officer

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Balance is decent, and most people are generally really easy to get along with. Executive management is very personable, and they do come to the regions at least once a year. Benefits are above industry standard and generally speaking there is a lot of people who work really hard.

Cons

Good-ole boy bank, it's who you know if you want to move-up. They are taking a retail approach to commercial business (i.e. scorecards, tick marks, referrals, and micro-managing). Segmentation is very messed up for the sales goals on the commercial side, which is tough to hit your goals unless you hit some wins. Bank is fundamentally controlled by credit - so is pricing. Sometimes conservative in spite of itself, and can't grasp the market competition in the general C&I space. Only place the bank is doing well is in small business lending, specialized credit, and CRE... tough if you are a seasoned C&I banker.

Salary is okay, bonus compensation is crummy at best. If you're new to the bank, negotiate for a high salary because expecting a bonus that is sizable is going to be painful despite hitting goals.

Redefine the commercial segments, let bankers fundamentally do their job and get deals done. Credit folks need to realize we can take some risk with a $190B balance sheet on smaller deals, and on top of that we shouldn't be afraid or syndicate deals and going after $50-100mm credits in large markets. It's time to step up to the plate and stop playing little-league.

Middle-management needs to get over themselves and their titles - but hey, that's banking.

RIF's are getting to be the NORM

Current Employee - Market Leader
    Current Employee - Market Leader

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Full benefits for PT employees.
    Holidays, vacation, and birthday's off

Cons

Lots of micro-managing--conference calls, meetings, call nights, reports to complete when management can pull the results themselves.
    Stressful work environment--the impression of never doing enough.
    Sales goals that are unattainable.

After working for BB&T for 25 years, I was notified that my position was being eliminated. I should be angry about this....but strangely enough, my reaction was mostly one of relief. For the past two years, I have not been happy in the role and with the changes that have came along. BB&T has always prided itself on being a values driven company and as an employee, I believed that and felt that from upper management. That has drastically changed within the past two years and is still changing today. There is no recognition for any contributions made, only what else can you do for me? Stressful, horrible place to work! Most people that I know who have left the company have said that they are so much happier now.

Little opportunity for Growth

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

If you are in their community banking division their is little sales pressure compared to competitors. They offer excellent health insurance

Cons

If you are looking to grow your career and develop new skills BB&T is not the place for you. Compensation packages are on very low end compared with competitors.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!