BB&T

www.bbt.com
Profile Unclaimed

Great people and atmosphere. Unattainable goals.

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Lauderhill, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Lauderhill, FL (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working in this company. Mainly because while they are a bank and the point of being a banker is sales, they really do try to focus on providing the clients with the best possible form of customer service.
    401k, 2 weeks vacation, paid holidays

Cons

Not all clients will have an account to best fulfill their needs... leading to conflicts.
    Branches are understaffed.

While I do understand that the bank spends money on training and guaranteeing customer service, they should stop charging such steep fees. this leads to bad word of mouth and conflicts in branches.

Overpromise Underdeliver

Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Fairfax, VA (US)

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Cannot recall any Pros to working at BBT

Cons

In the interview management overpromises on salsary and bonus.

There are better Banks

Former Employee - Bank Teller
    Former Employee - Bank Teller

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The hours were good since it was mostly just week days.

Cons

So much pressure to sell products and hound customers to open more accounts.

Mixed review as employee but a great place to be a client.

Current Employee - Client Facing Administrative to Wealth
    Current Employee - Client Facing Administrative to Wealth

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at BB&T Wealth in re: my internal partners from Trust Ops., Commercial Lending, Financial Planning, Portfolio Managers, etc.

If you're looking for great Benefits, look no further.

Cons

Don't expect advancement or a promotion at age 45+ if you are a female... it's quite difficult. You might find the atmosphere turns unpleasant. Sort of a 'how dare you' attitude. Most of the client facing key players in BB&T Wealth are in their 30's (mostly male and a few female); except management, most of whom are mid 40's - 60's and almost all male.

They're salary offer will be a bit lower than you may expect... my suggestion ask for an extra week of vacation:)

to: Upper Management

I sought advancement so that I could have a more mentally stimulating and content challenging career. Also so I could make more money to provide a better lifestyle for myself and my family, save for retirement, rent a beach house for a week in the summer, enjoy my hobby, etc.

You are not giving women over 45 years of age opportunities for advancement in BB&T Wealth.

I'd suggest you add oversight so that your mostly male (mostly middle aged) managers do not overlook women in the 45+ age group. And you need to create a Liaison role where that person can coordinate with HR and hiring managers when they have an internal qualified candidate in my age group. You need to set clear guidelines and expectations for that person. Managers need to have support from upper management and the resources available just like they do when they bring on the younger person.

*I don't think you should rely on your recruiting team to assist my age group. I found them to be disinterested, indifferent or rude (not returning phone calls). I think they receive mixed messages from management as to what their role is. I don't think they know how to help my age group navigate within the system. I think they don't champion my age group well with internal managers looking to fill a position. I think they receive no incentive to be helpful. I think they have no oversight themselves. I think many internal managers pushed to meet goals are less likely to hire someone in my group. I think because this is happening management is responsible for making a change.

Don't lose sight of the fact that we add value. I found that female customers confided in me, trusted my opinion and counted on me to follow through with everything I promised. The majority of these female customers: 1) make the financial decisions for their family (as I do in mine), and 2) will outlive their husbands and inherit the assets. Get my drift? It would be very safe to say the male customers found me just as competent!

Cost cutting and micromanaging

Current Employee - Branch Banker in West Palm Beach, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Banker in West Palm Beach, FL (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than a year)

Pros

entry level banking experience, good 401k and health care.

Cons

constant micro-managing, barrage of pointless emails all day, pension is awful, 10 days vacation for first 5 years, no career advancement into anything on retail side, no raises, low-ball starting salary, they can take away incentive you've earned, must follow chain of command to talk to anyone above you, never praised or awarded for hard work, always short staffed and required to do everyone else's job, high pressure sales everyday, call nights to generate sales, upper management comes off as arrogant and pretentious.

reward hard workers, let people advance, there is a reason why everyone is leaving, especially the producers. Hold upper management accountable.

Going down the tubes

Current Employee - Branch Banker III in Charlottesville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Banker III in Charlottesville, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people work in the branches, full benefits at 20 hrs/week, most clients are sweethearts

Cons

Management has lost touch with reality in regards to expectations for sales goals. The pressure is insane, and no one has the gumption to stand up and say "No, that's not realistic."

Get back in the branches and rediscover what happens there. You're far too out of touch with your lower-level associates, and they'll be leaving in droves if you keep up this behavior.

Culturally lost its way

Current Employee - Commercial Banking
    Current Employee - Commercial Banking

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BB&T does have a strong history, excellent benefits and remains one of the most well capitalized institutions in the country.

Cons

The very values in which BB&T was founded upon are now almost comical. Independent thinking, reality, justice, fairness are all values that employees were once required to embrace but now you ridiculed for.

Bankers do not create loan demand, they merely facilitate the needs of the community. While it is certainly the right of the bank to be overly conservative, thinking they can overcompensate for their unwillingness to take risk by treating producers like mules is not only unfair but also counter productive.

Pretty good company overall

Former Employee - Retail Lending
    Former Employee - Retail Lending

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, one of the few companies which still offers a pension plan. Co-workers were great!

Cons

Was behind the curve with technology upgrades. Recently began a reduction in force

Hit and miss, depends on who is your manager and higher up.

Current Employee - Teller in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Teller in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, every holidays off, and easy job.

Cons

Favoritism. Some regional and branch managers are great. Then there are terrible ones. If you get hired on, you will know right away if you got a bad seed or not.

The reason why you have to shut down multiple branches is because you keep promoting incompetent people to run your branches. What kind of regional manager visits their branch once a year. Think about it.

Decent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of time off once you have worked there for five years

Cons

very difficult to be promoted, hard work is not rewarded quickly, bonuses have been cut