BB&T Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

3.3

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Stepping Stone

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good experience as a first job out of college. Learned a lot. Transitioning into a new roll will take some time, but you have to remember that success cannot be measured by what you did yesterday. New positions will come along frequently, but you have to show that you have excelled at what you were hired to do.

Cons

Low pay early on. Management is constantly overseeing everything that you do on a daily basis.

Reviews are too frequent. Let the people work and establish relationships. Breathing down their necks everyday accomplishes little.

Good Company

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are really genuine. The benefits are fantastic! The company truly has a strong culture that they operate by. Hard work is often recognized.

Cons

Communication through the company can be lacking and disorganized. They tend to treat the people who work in corporate headquarters better than anyone else in the footprint.

The company has been good to me in the time I worked there.

Current Employee - Senior Teller
    Current Employee - Senior Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

BB&T is a good company to work for, there is opportunity to grow and make a career.

Cons

The part that is not working for me is the schedule. It changes every week and I don't feel I have the freedom to work with my time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good to start with and grow

Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker II  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker II in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great training, positive people, very supportive

Cons

Regional managers have no understanding at branch level of what it takes to be Successful.

Needs to be more involved in branches

My department was better than the overall corporation

Former Employee - Digital  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Digital in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are awesome. Work-life balance was great (good vacation) and the company is very ethical and promotes family values. I had an awesome supervisor. He/She was "one of us" before getting promoted, so really understood the work.

Cons

In my specific role, there was not room for advancement. Once my boss got promoted, that's it -- they would have to leave before another opp for advancement came open. (We were a pretty specialized team.) So, it was out-to-go-up for me. I think Senior Management (outside of our building), and some of the product managers as well, had no idea what we did on a day-to-day, or how specialized/difficult it was. So, I think we were under-appreciated outside of our team.

Also, even though we were a non-client-facing team, we had to dress the part ("because everyone else has to.")

Pay folks what they are worth. Don't use outdated comps to justify low salaries. Let those who don't see clients -- ever -- enjoy a relaxed dress code.

Good place to work

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Pay is OK. Not the best in the industry but not the worst. You are also able to have a good work life balance. When projects are due you will be expected to work until your part is completed, but normally the pace is reasonable.

Cons

Advancing in your career can be a challenge. Some people stay in their same role forever. You must make your own path as management doesn't seem to promote from within based on job performance alone. It can be done but networking is key.

Watch for employees who perform beyond their job grade and promote from within. This will make employees feel worthwhile so they continue to perform at a high level.

Don't think this is a small, community bank anymore!

Former Employee - Market Leader II  in  Marietta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Market Leader II in Marietta, GA (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

time off, employees you work with.

Cons

Not good management training, conference calls on Mondays and Fridays where you get yelled out for not making your numbers. Events, working more than 1 saturday a month, no comp time for saturday. short staffed, when they loose someone, they don't replace them. Management makes you think that you have it good but you really don't. Treat their manager's like crap! The whole culture has changed with John Allison retiring. Employees are miserable, management gets blamed for everything. You are always pulled in 100 different directions. Sales, sales, sales even if the client doesn't need it!

Don't ridicule the managers when they don't make their numbers or if they do, don't just brush it off! Treat people like professionals.

At least they have a pension plan

Current Employee - Branch Banker III
    Current Employee - Branch Banker III

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clients are amazing. Having holidays off is nice. Birthday off is nice. What would be awesome would being able to go on vacation when you have it scheduled. What good is it to have 4 weeks of vacation if you can't use it:(

Cons

Salary
    Hours
    Resources
    Empathy
    Motivation from management default response "be thankful you even have a job"

I think BBT has dug itself in a hole and I really don't see them being able to get out of it. Hopefully they will get bought out by someone who knows what they are doing.

Good Environment for working

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

On job training, and a favorable environment.

Cons

Equipment is not up to date with the competition.

uiKeep up the good work

Teller

Former Employee - Tell Supervisor  in  Annapolis, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Tell Supervisor in Annapolis, MD (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training and lots of room to move up and excel. Leadership was good however corporate was always pushing them pretty hard.

Cons

Although growth in the company was often easily obtained, you would be required to complete hours upon hours of training. Almost unobtainable.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!