BB&T

Updated 12 December 2014
3.2

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Branch Banker III

Current Employee - Branch Banker III
    Current Employee - Branch Banker III

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits 100% 401k Match, Medical, pension, the employees and management are supportive and take interest in their employees. Plenty of paid holidays and not to many weeks over 40 hours.

Cons

Cost cutting measures have put a serious strain on staff. Sales goal expectations are unrealistic. Management often only looks at production numbers and doesn't consider the operational/service/management aspect that is integrated into most platform positions.

Stick to your values, spend more time taking care of your current clients.

Market Leader II

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Good benefits, pension, 401 (K), overall mission and vision minded to be the best of the best in banking.

Cons

Work-life balance is very difficult if you are a clustered manager. Upper management is spread very thin and could not possibly understand the difficulties of branch management with their large number of direct reports and responsibilities.

Good place to work

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Fellow employees attitudes in the area I work with pitch in to get the job done.

Cons

The inability for some to adapt to the constant changes mostly due to having to meet changing Government regulations.

Great place!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training, awesome career advancement opportunities, benefits are one of a kind!

Cons

Policies changes more often than expected,

Be more open to employee ideas on company growth

Different, interesting, challenging

Former Employee - Correspondent Lending Section Manager in Norcross, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Correspondent Lending Section Manager in Norcross, GA (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time

Pros

Management expected you to perform at levels you were hired and encouraged you to do so.

Cons

Senior management did not always consult with lower management on procedures

State your goals and let lower management execute

It's good company and great place to learn.

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Strong culture and provides an environment for success

Cons

The company lacks innovation and open environment to take risk.

Run. Run far far away from this bank, or any other, unless you are not in a retail bank position.

Current Employee - Branch Banker IV in South Florida, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Banker IV in South Florida, FL (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

100% match to 6% for 401K, still has a pension, if you can stomach making this place your life.

Cons

Low pay for the level of work expected of you. HR is a nightmare. Management is ridiculous in every single thing they do or say. Internal promotions are almost non existent. Filled with people with low to average intellect. Majority of the staff is female and most will not hesitate to stab you in the back to try to get ahead.

BB&T is a well respected company in other markets. In South Florida, BB&T is either an unknown, or thought of as a low class banking institution. Make as many changes as you can, and it would probably help to fire 80% of the current staffing.

Very pleasant. Adored my job until recently.

I have been working at BB&T full-time

Pros

The pros to working for BB&T are that if you are at least 30 hours, you do get some benefits that FT do. The paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, 401k, health insurance is great. Most of the people that they hire have proven to be ethical. It is a very sound and solid company surviving The Great Depression and was one of the first banks to repay the bailout because we didn't need to be bailed out.

Cons

A few cons to be noted is the fierce cut back on hiring and the amount of pressure and responsibilities Corp higher ups are placing on the branch staff. SELL!!SELL!!SELL!! And with all the federal regulations, the BB&T I was hired to work for no longer has the Community Bank feel with the benefits of a BIG Bank. You can't miss a day anymore without worrying that you are going to lose your job because we are so short staffed. I don't see how they can cut anymore and they really should be recognizing how people are dropping like flies due to these issues. No work life balance at all!! Former associates that have left for smaller banks or other professions are happier than they have been in a long time.

I really hope that you didn't realize until just now by reading this, just how bad so many of us at the branch level now DESPISE the jobs we once loved so much. We talk about it all the time about how it breaks our hearts that once, we were excited to come to work, but now, we lay in bed in the mornings dreading what the day will bring and more than once or twice a week cry on our ways either to or from there. It's really sad and I am sorry that the government is running BBT through the wringer, but the REALITY that you expect, isn't real at all. You've lost a lot of really good people to smaller banks, guys, and replacing them with underhanded branch level leadership... I am seeing now why so many Americans HATE BANKERS and sadly, now, I want out, too. But just out of Banking Period. Brand new industry is calling. Thanks for the good memories, but I'll never have a good taste in my mouth due to living the nightmare.

Gained a lot of experience

Former Employee - Teller in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Teller in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I worked at BB&T part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good and the experience

Cons

Being a float teller the hours aren't guar

Float tellers should have a minimum hour work week. Like 15hrs at least

BRANCH BANKER III

Current Employee - Branch Banker III in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Banker III in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall, Great company to work for. You can really climb the success ladder quickly.

Cons

The pay isn't that great.

Compensation