BB&T Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
3.2

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

RIF's are getting to be the NORM

Current Employee - Market Leader
    Current Employee - Market Leader

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Full benefits for PT employees.
    Holidays, vacation, and birthday's off

Cons

Lots of micro-managing--conference calls, meetings, call nights, reports to complete when management can pull the results themselves.
    Stressful work environment--the impression of never doing enough.
    Sales goals that are unattainable.

After working for BB&T for 25 years, I was notified that my position was being eliminated. I should be angry about this....but strangely enough, my reaction was mostly one of relief. For the past two years, I have not been happy in the role and with the changes that have came along. BB&T has always prided itself on being a values driven company and as an employee, I believed that and felt that from upper management. That has drastically changed within the past two years and is still changing today. There is no recognition for any contributions made, only what else can you do for me? Stressful, horrible place to work! Most people that I know who have left the company have said that they are so much happier now.

Little opportunity for Growth

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

If you are in their community banking division their is little sales pressure compared to competitors. They offer excellent health insurance

Cons

If you are looking to grow your career and develop new skills BB&T is not the place for you. Compensation packages are on very low end compared with competitors.

Teller

Current Employee - Teller Part Time in Rostov-na-Donu (Russia)
    Current Employee - Teller Part Time in Rostov-na-Donu (Russia)

I have been working at BB&T part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, closed holidays, some co workers

Cons

Pay, hours, open Saturdays, having to get referrals

N/a

Relationship Teller

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

You get a nice amount of vacation time. I'm also off every Saturday.

Cons

They do not care about the employees. They have cut his tremendously. From day to day you really never know what location you're going to work at. Your checks are up and down you may get 40 plus one week and the next week you may only get 28 hours. Very thankful to have a job, but when another job come through I'll be leaving with no hesitation.

HIRE MORE TELLERS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BEFORE EVERYBODY LEAVE!!!! IT'S WAY TOO MANY UNHAPPY EMPLOYEES!

no room for growth

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The training at BB&T is great

Cons

can not advance due to upper management

it would be nice for management to realize the role that the front line in the branches play in their success and be recognized and be given the opportunity to advance within the company.

Support your staff instead of firing them

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get your birthday off

Cons

There are too many to list

Get out in the branches. Your 18 daily emails get deleted by your employees since they are constantly telling you what your not doing right! Instead of "saving money" by cutting employees, why snot you cut the people you pay to tell us what we're doing wrong! Your lack of leadership and support is unreal. Employees are leaving bunch-by-bunch.

Relationship

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

benefits, salary, personal growth, leadership, opportunity.

Cons

short staff, constant shifting, everyone needs to be cross trained, Saturday hours, branch info is horrible.

My experience with BB&T was both good and bad and very challenging..

Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

BB&T places high emphasis on continuing education and always has opportunities for growth. The company has excellent benefits.

Cons

For those in branch management positions, the job requires an inordinate amount of time.

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Teller Part Time in Boone, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Teller Part Time in Boone, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team of people whom I worked with were wonderful!
    Get lots of long weekends due to bank holidays.
    You learn a lot about banking

Cons

lunch hours are never consistent

Have a program where all upper management have to have experience from the bottom up, that way the know what to expect and understand what is obtainable by lower end management.

Started off good but went down hill

Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Wilmington, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Wilmington, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with and for, not major sales pressure, great benefits, good work/life balance, good perks, federal holidays and accumulated vacations days off, decent pay in comparison to other banks.

Cons

Been here for a year and have seen a major change in company culture, especially in the past six months. Changes at both branch and corporate levels, making it a bit more stressful, to a point of worry about job security. Past six months have lead to a few layoffs, short staffing which leads to longer wait times and more frustrated clients and no end on sight especially with hiring freeze. Other than that, usual cons especially being part time like having to float to other branches, a few monotonous moments, software and hardware seems a bit dated, but this comes with the territory and job title, if you couldn't handle those simple problems, I'm not sure you could do the job.

The upper management really needs to get its act together and start hiring again. Being short at the teller level adds to stresses of everyone at the branch level. The management inconsistent views have turned from really caring about the client and the employee, to us employees just feeling like a B or C number and clients just being another deposit account or another loan and can and will have to deal with waiting an hour just to get into their safety deposit box or waiting 20 minutes to deposit one check. This hiring freeze and moving people around and short staffing in branches and making us employees feel like crud is really going to drive those good employees that deserve more into roles with other companies and leave you left with those employees that aren't worth a damn and don't care about the job and clients that have gone elsewhere because they may me treated better at another institution.

It all starts at the teller level, start treating us good again and drop the dead weight at the branch and corporate levels and the sky is the limit.

BB&T Photos