BKD

Be The First To
Add Photos

BKD Partner & CEO Ted Dickman

Ted Dickman

Pros:
  • "Good experience, knowledgeable partners (until mandatory retirement), lots of training during the first year"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Great place for learning, flexibility in schedule during 'slow' times and okay benefits"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours during the summer in particular industries"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Also, the staff is not very diverse like a Big 4"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BKD

ProsVery friendly. Flexible scheduling. Very professional.

ConsNone that come to mind.

Intern

BKD Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at BKD part-time for less than a year

ProsPay of alright considering a trained monkey could do this job.

ConsWhere to begin... people are not very friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry socializing with your employees every once in a while.

Prepare different types of tax returns.

Tax Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at BKD full-time

ProsThe learning environment, everyone is very understanding and willingness to nurture improving techncial

ConsTraining is more trail and error prossces

Good Place to Work

I have been working at BKD full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood culture and good people

ConsUnderstaffed and overworked. Compensation could be better.

Been with BKD for over one year and have no issues.

I have been working at BKD full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place for learning, flexibility in schedule during 'slow' times and okay benefits. My experience with senior management has been good to this point.

ConsOnly bonus program in place is for partners and there is not 401K contribution until you have been there for two years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo real advice to management.

Great opportunities to learn

Audit Associate (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at BKD full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work environment, endless possibilities to learn

ConsIf you do not enjoy traveling, or flexible schedules, may not be appropriate career path

A Well Established Firm and Brand

Accounting Outsourcing Staff (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at BKD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to learn cohesion, adaptation and how to overcome professional skill gaps. Wonderful partners, managers and staff.

ConsMy local office observations are not indicative of overall firm strengths or weakness.
Merely, for the purpose of showing loyalty to the future of Accounting Outsourcing Services at BKD, LLP, I hope this feedback is welcomed as constructive and not negative. This firm is not typical in any negative way and generally serves staff and clients wonderfully.

1) Perceived lack of value for small business services by various localized leadership.

Enterprise target markets seem to dominate focus, leaving some small to small-mid clients with less than optimum "full service" advisement or planning services, which has included succession and disaster continuity, to avoid write offs in billing.

2) Virtually zero opportunity for Non CPA paths to advancement of any kind and management lacks clarity in communication of that fact sometimes when firm goals change.

Unfortunate turnover rate due to burnout and departmental glass ceilings. The expertise lost over the last 6 years of my career with the firm, was undeniable and took a huge toll on the daily work life balance of my former colleagues and myself.

3) Slight accountability issue with in charge project oversight and coordination with supervisors, partners and staff about expectations and deadline scheduling.

Without designated or skilled client relationship managers, partners will sometimes have favorites to do the work and handle any AOS job types with specific technical skills, causing workload issues for staff and managers. Rather than cross-train, some will not take work or, simply refer outside of the organization because of staffing skill gaps that require more attentive management (also burdened with heavy workloads). Job security seems to reside in clearly, within a staffer's proprietary client knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my observations: Through internal resource connectivity, learning and development, as well as cultural inclusion, the firm has a brilliant opportunity to capture new growth areas, sustainability, and build brand loyalty through AOS teams as a practice, rather than an administrative service. Thank you for the years of employment. They truly were valuable to my professional growth and I appreciate BKD, LLP.

Not good for extroverts

Staff Auditor (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at BKD as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Great overall company, good pay, and good teamwork
- Get to travel to interesting small towns
- Very intelligent people to work for
- Lots of advancement opportunities

ConsMy cons are based on my personality.
-If you are extrovert, enjoy befriending colleagues, and having an enjoyable time at work, this is not the place for you
- Lack of consistent feedback for interns
- Not enough tasks planned for interns doing the two month Spring program

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better internship program

Okay place to start your career, but you'll burnout within 2 years there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at BKD full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou will learn a lot, and be exposed to a lot of different things
Your peers are a lot of fun and a great professional resource

ConsPartners have a hard time relating to staff level people and some don't even know their staff's name
Compensation and benefits - not comparable to other competitor firms
Scheduling of resources is terrible - there are some that are really busy at all times and others that struggle to find work during the slower months.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start treating employees better. Something as simple as a yearly bonus will go a long way. Employees there feel overworked and under appreciated. A little bit of monetary appreciation will help you retain your best staff.

Great place to start but not for everyone.

Audit Senior (Former Employee)
Fort Wayne, IN (US)

I worked at BKD full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou learn a ton! Great way to start an accounting carrier.

ConsStaff get worked to death. High turnover from burnout. Promotions and raises are really small and slow early in carrier.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow seniors more flexibility in how they manage staff. Micro management stifles innovation and creativity. This leads to an unnecessary environment of stress. The work is difficult enough, you don't have to create more pressure.

Worked for BKD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BKD reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for BKD CEO Ted Dickman. All 65 reviews are posted anonymously by BKD employees.