BNY Mellon

Updated Jul 22, 2014

2.8 1,152 reviews

BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell

Gerald Hassell

Pros
  • I also get to work from home when needed, making the work life balance easier to handle(in 114 reviews)

• Many good benefits, however, management was not proactive in developing talent(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for GROWTH and the PAY SUCKS OVERALL(in 25 reviews)

• Disconnected senior management who don't communicate effectively (if at all) with the troops(in 46 reviews)

1,152 Employee Reviews

Moderate Experience

Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsGreat place to begin career, but do not stay too long for the entry level positions. You'll get a cozy role though if you come in at VP or higher.

ConsStandard bureaucracy like in any other large company.

It is Good

ProsIt is a good company, it cares for the employes, the overall perks of the company apart for the salary structure are good.

Conssince it has grown leaps and bounds in the last 3-4 years and the company going into full Cost cutting mode, the chances of getting promotions are tough.

I have done OK at BNYM, but not a place I want to finish my career.

Financial Services (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsSince the merger with Mellon Bank, there have been improvements to the organization. They are trying to provide the employees with a better working environment through the use of feedback, opinions, and training. Despite being in Pittsburg, the HR department is one noticeable area of improvement.

ConsYou can work many extra hours of overtime when busy, and not be properly taken care of. In other words, dinners are not provided and bonuses are very minimal.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BNY Mellon is a good company to work, but growth also matters.

Operations Executive (Current Employee) Pune (India)

ProsWork culture is good and also thee management is good enough. Over all a good experience to start off with BNY mellon.

ConsIts very sensitive because we are handling clients moneys.

Starter with no other options

Specialist (Current Employee) Everett, MA (US)

ProsHires out of college
    Decent wage for a first job
    Close to the T and lots of parking

ConsLimited upward movement
    Same work everyday, no brain required

Incredible learning environment if you exhibit curiosity and ambition.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBNY Mellon is a global custody bank handling a wide array investments. If you want to learn about the full gamut of investment areas such as ETFs, FX, Alternatives and Swaps, this is the place. Subject matter experts and executive staff are very approachable and are willing to assist you if they are able. Annual bonus pool is available but must have great review and a manager to go to bat for you.

ConsPay can be below industry average so make sure you ask for what you are worth before accepting the job. Raises are miniscule and pay adjustments unheard of. Currently undergoing major restructuring through end of 2014. There seem to be invisible barriers between lines of business that can limit "one voice" when major market events take place.

Advice to Senior ManagementLaying off masses of mid-level staff would not be necessary if executive pay was reduced. You have a great deal of talented staff...pay them their market value and your profits will rise.

A great place to work

Distributed Applications Developer IV (Former Employee) Everett, MA (US)

ProsGood pay,good benefits, good training offered and an excellent place to work. Work well and you are set to grow within the company.

ConsDid not have any issues

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper level management keeps us informed and meet with us regularly and open to ideas.

Good experience, hard to advance and kept at low pay for too long

Quality Control Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsYou build a great base of professional contacts. So many people start out here that you always have a good pool of references when job searching due to the turnover.
    Pension plan is frozen now but 401k with match still exists
    business casual dress code, jeans allowed on fridays
    Your work does not come home with you, overtime for non-exempt is available at times and worth it in my opinion
    Very good about sick days and emergencies

ConsDifficult to move up or transfer out of department
    Low pay
    water cooler and coffee not free
    training lacked an formality or frame of reference

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective with who gets promoted, a lot of people become apathetic quickly

Great

ProsFriendly People , Great Location , Decent Food

ConsTraining, Management, scared that you might get laid off, No loyalty

Advice to Senior ManagementDecrease Employee Turnover

Basic financial industry setting with minimal technology innovation, workplace perks, or career opportunities

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGeneral pros:
    • Generally easy 9-to-5 working style is common
    • Minimal workplace pressure
    • Basic benefits include health care, vision, dental, and disability

IT-specific pros:
    • Low-speed development with no high-pressure situations
    • Moving towards development style and tools that align more with the overall external development community

ConsGeneral cons:
    • Low salaries
    • Low-end benefits and perks, such as limited healthcare options, minimum workplace perks (e.g. costly cafeteria food, small gym membership discount), limited community engagement, no transportation subsidies (only provides for the federal standard of pre-tax contributions for transportation and parking from your own salary)
    • Segregated disciplines, leading to poor career growth opportunities
    • Risk-adverse company means little innovation or new market headway
    • Aging workforce with minimal sympathy from occasional younger talent
    • Classic hierarchical management model with minimal transparency, limited dissemination of business vision ( marketing vagueness such as "BNY Mellon's Plan to Win")

IT-specific cons:
    • Ancient, non-standards compliant systems and technology
    • Impossible teams and management structure
    • "Flavour of the day" technology focus
    • Lack of communication and coordination amongst IT groups, leading to redundant development and support
    • U.S.-centric despite substantial development focus in India
    • Completely behind all major tech and engineering firms when it comes to new technology, development, and innovation

Worked for BNY Mellon? Contribute to the Community!