BNY Mellon

Updated Jul 28, 2014

2.8 1,164 reviews

BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell

Gerald Hassell

Pros
  • I also get to work from home when needed, making the work life balance easier to handle(in 116 reviews)

• Many good benefits, however, management was not proactive in developing talent(in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for GROWTH and the PAY SUCKS OVERALL(in 25 reviews)

• All the hard works we done are not appreciated by the senior management of the company(in 49 reviews)

1,164 Employee Reviews

good

ProsGood opportunity to start a career

ConsPay rate is a little slim.

BNY Mellon Corporate Trust Dept. I really liked my job but it did get stressful at times

Senior Trust Administrator (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGood people to work with; people got along well with each other...

ConsWorkload can be heavy & stressful at times; expected to do two people's workload; not everyone pulls their own weight; management may not communicate fully about things.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more fully when changing things especially when it affects people's jobs

Moderate Experience

Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsGreat place to begin career, but do not stay too long for the entry level positions. You'll get a cozy role though if you come in at VP or higher.

ConsStandard bureaucracy like in any other large company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Investment Accountant

Investment Accountant (Current Employee) Westborough, MA (US)

ProsLots of downtime, sometimes I run out of things to do.

ConsManagement doesn't care about their employees. Their not willing to help when in time of need.

OK

Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsEasy to get a job.

Consbelow average pay, hard to move up

Advice to Senior Managementhire from within and actually give raises

It is Good

ProsIt is a good company, it cares for the employes, the overall perks of the company apart for the salary structure are good.

Conssince it has grown leaps and bounds in the last 3-4 years and the company going into full Cost cutting mode, the chances of getting promotions are tough.

Basic financial industry setting with minimal technology innovation, workplace perks, or career opportunities

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGeneral pros:
    • Generally easy 9-to-5 working style is common
    • Minimal workplace pressure
    • Basic benefits include health care, vision, dental, and disability

IT-specific pros:
    • Low-speed development with no high-pressure situations
    • Moving towards development style and tools that align more with the overall external development community

ConsGeneral cons:
    • Low salaries
    • Low-end benefits and perks, such as limited healthcare options, minimum workplace perks (e.g. costly cafeteria food, small gym membership discount), limited community engagement, no transportation subsidies (only provides for the federal standard of pre-tax contributions for transportation and parking from your own salary)
    • Segregated disciplines, leading to poor career growth opportunities
    • Risk-adverse company means little innovation or new market headway
    • Aging workforce with minimal sympathy from occasional younger talent
    • Classic hierarchical management model with minimal transparency, limited dissemination of business vision ( marketing vagueness such as "BNY Mellon's Plan to Win")

IT-specific cons:
    • Ancient, non-standards compliant systems and technology
    • Impossible teams and management structure
    • "Flavour of the day" technology focus
    • Lack of communication and coordination amongst IT groups, leading to redundant development and support
    • U.S.-centric despite substantial development focus in India
    • Completely behind all major tech and engineering firms when it comes to new technology, development, and innovation

I have done OK at BNYM, but not a place I want to finish my career.

Financial Services (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsSince the merger with Mellon Bank, there have been improvements to the organization. They are trying to provide the employees with a better working environment through the use of feedback, opinions, and training. Despite being in Pittsburg, the HR department is one noticeable area of improvement.

ConsYou can work many extra hours of overtime when busy, and not be properly taken care of. In other words, dinners are not provided and bonuses are very minimal.

BNY Mellon is a good company to work, but growth also matters.

Operations Executive (Current Employee) Pune (India)

ProsWork culture is good and also thee management is good enough. Over all a good experience to start off with BNY mellon.

ConsIts very sensitive because we are handling clients moneys.

BNY Mellon 2013 versus 2005 - Changes would help hiring and working there

Vice President/Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsExcellent at creating a team environment (unless you are in a temporary role, then somewhat exclusionary, and no mentor if you are a temp); fair and good in lateral moves, and likes to promote within, but also open to qualified external hires to promote their business goals.

ConsNeed to have better group / management organizational skills; internal communication can be improved to improve the performance of client facing roles

Advice to Senior ManagementMore team orientation towards groups is necessary; inclusionary policy towards temporary/contract employees is good for the overall bottomline, and long-term retention, return employees, and achieving overall revenue at lower-cost is beneficial from an organizational perspective

Worked for BNY Mellon? Contribute to the Community!