BNY Mellon

Updated Jul 30, 2014

2.8 1,169 reviews

BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell

Gerald Hassell

Pros
  • I also get to work from home when needed, making the work life balance easier to handle (in 116 reviews)

• Many good benefits, however, management was not proactive in developing talent (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for GROWTH and the PAY SUCKS OVERALL (in 25 reviews)

• All the hard works we done are not appreciated by the senior management of the company (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights
1,169 Employee Reviews

Leaderless middle-management + Skilled employees = No future

Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsYour time is free. Unless under a micro-manager, you will be able to come in and leave on a whim. Smoke breaks: take 8 a day (even if you don't smoke.) Dress code policy: Noone is going to take action about it. Lose your job while pregnant: they will pay you out if you threaten. Conservative Company that is more concerned with not have an employee legal action placed against them then investing in the infrastructure of talent, growth through the company and seeing the job get accomplished.

ConsThe Management structure is an upside-down Pyramid. Middle managers just *love* being middle managers. Fill up your days with meetings, checklists and dashboard/RAG reports to prevent the work being done. I had 4 reports that tracked the same information, because each time the Division Head involved himself (yes "him": not really women in higher positions), then a new Metric needed to be added, instead of utilizing the same data on an existing Metric.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo truly save on Expenses: eliminate unnecessary Management. The "8 Levels from Bottom to Top" has 3/4 Levels too much. That's where you cut expenses, not at the lower levels. Do not utilize a "headcount" metric, but at the Salary-Level side.
    Also: Strategic Development needs to consider their strategies up-front, before implementation. Do not buy a Fund-of-Fund product that is only evaluated by the "yes-man" that will support the decision to buy, regardless if the current system can support these transactions. Do not decide upon one geographic area as the center of excellence. (And certainly, do not publish that information to a client!) It demoralizes other geographic area, and then makes your management look even poorer when that is abandoned for another geographic area.

Decent starting point for financial career.

ProsHelpful employees who'll be patient with a newcomer.

ConsLack of structure and consistency from time to time among teams, but nothing unusual or egregious.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency.

Had an enjoyable internship experience.

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsMany of the traders were great to work for. Resources of being the biggest bank in the world were great.

ConsDisconnection between upper management and rest of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in hiring younger people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Medium-Stress Low Salary

Intern - Hourly (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsOverly-friendly coworkers. Decent vacation time and other benefits. Hours aren't bad for a financial institution.

ConsBad pay. Not many staff members so you are required to pick up slacks. Primitive technology. Upward mobility even if exists, is not lucrative. Not a place to be for high achievers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more competent staff with better pay.

Opportunity is available if you are willing to work for it.

Manager (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA (US)

ProsI was fortunate and had extremely great managers. My Director was very accessable and willing to discuss what was going on with your professional and personal life. Very concerned with work-life balance. My managers made it worth staying there.

ConsLimited soft-skill training. Unfortunately, the company is moving away for instructor-led soft-skill training in favor of online training. It's a shame. Salary increases when promoted are abysmal. Capped at 4% or 5%. Not justified considering the increased role and responsiblity associated with the raise. Company treats outside hires better than internal promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management should go back to operating under a customer-centric model instead of an operational-centric model. Treat employees better and more fairly when dealing with promotional opporunities.

Easygoing Environment, Friendly People

Pros7 Hour Work days, on the IT side uses a very structured methodology standard and process moves accordingly. Projects require a considerable amount of wind up time and departments are generally small and operate in close knit groups.

ConsPersonal experiences are largely dependent on work culture that's defined by your immediate supervisor. Your experiences may vary based on the organization and department you work with.

Not For The Faint Hearted

Transfer Agency Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsThe company did provide an excellent working environment where fellow colleagues are more than willing to be helpful - if they have time! You quickly learn what exactly it is you are capable of when working here. It is a fast-paced environment where accountability is first and foremost. Although you work with a team it often feels as though you are left to your own initiative as everyone else is so busy with their own workload. However, if there is an issue that you cannot work out someone will help. There was plenty of overtime that we were rewarded for with cash bonuses, hardwork is also noticed and acknowledged so you never feel as if you are taken for granted.

ConsIt is not a typical 9 - 5 job. Due to this department being so busy there were times I left the office at 8pm at night after putting in a 12 hour day. If you were not seen to help out it was quickly noticed and pointed out, so it is not as if you are given a choice in whether or not you stay back late. This department also has a mandatory late shift that you are required to do once a month, this can also see you in the office until the early hours of the morning. There is no training provided, you shadow an employee for a week and then you gain access to your own workstation. Also the salary differed between employees even though we all done the same job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistency with salaries as some employees may feel bitter when they find out that their colleague is on a higher limit.

about workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood work life balance place

Consnothing in specific to mention

Staff turnover rates and cost cutting measures are having an impact staff morale

ProsFor a single person with no family this is a good place to work. The working hours can vary across the bank so try and join a team which has reasonable working hours. Management have been very supportive over the years and if you work hard they will reward you with opportunities to grow within the organization.

ConsPay: after speaking with ex colleagues who have left the bank it seems that the pay levels and benefits are not as good as our competitors.
    Work/life balance: varies across the bank but in the location I work the turnover rate is high and as a result our work life balance is poor.
    Technology is poor and requires major investment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay: match the pay and benefits of our competitors.
    Training: invest heavily in the training of new and existing staff.
    Technology: invest in technology to improve productivity and reduce time consuming manual tasks.

Best org to work

FIN Analysis (Current Employee) Pune (India)

ProsGood pay,work culture,Work life balance is good...

ConsNo Cons as per my view.........thanks

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should encourage the knowledge people..& throw out those who are not adding value despite hefty salary

Worked for BNY Mellon? Contribute to the Community!