BNY Mellon Reviews

2.8
1,281 Reviews

BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell
Gerald Hassell

Pros
  • Good work-life balance in my department, but not in all areas of the company (in 131 reviews)

• Many good benefits, however, management was not proactive in developing talent (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth, salaries at lower end in the industry and merit increases are close to zero (in 29 reviews)

• All the hard works we done are not appreciated by the senior management of the company (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

good starting position

Current Employee - Account Administrator in Lake Mary, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Account Administrator in Lake Mary, FL (US)

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Entry level position, learned a many different aspects of the banking world, personal growth is good for an entry level person, gain good experience.

Cons

low pay rate, not a lot of vacation. inflexible on days allowed to take vacation since people have to cover your desk, hard to move up, given a lot of work and will work over time. limited opportunities to increase pay rate. Cannot move up fast.

Thank goodness for a place not overrun by kids

Current Employee - Tech Support
    Current Employee - Tech Support

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People stay here for a long time. The majority of the people I work with have been here for 20+ years. That's got to say something.
    Very good vacation policy (three weeks from the start).
    The opportunity to work from home one day a week, inclement weather, etc.
    Autonomy in my present position (left alone to just do my job).
    I'm happy with my salary.

Cons

Red tape like you would expect in a worldwide company with tens of thousands of employees.
    Most of my team is offshore so you have cultural differences, etc. As a female in a male dominated field, the cultural difference regarding women can sometimes be apparent.
    Many layers of management and a present manager who micromanages.
    I read that the salaries are lower than industry standards but perhaps that is true in the NE. I am in a different location and am pleased with my salary.

Please do away with the mandatory two-week vacation. It's nice to have that option, but making it mandatory then gives a person one less vacation "opportunity" in a year.

Collegial atmosphere, good people, and good job security

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/life balance there is very attractive to any employee, the bank encourages employees to seek advanced degrees and pay for partial tuition
    Reimbursement. Solid brand name and reputation. Integrity of senior management

Cons

The Bank is known on Wall Street as paying below the average scale in most business lines and functional areas. With the above-average job security comes lesser return in terms of annual bonuses.

Leverage the Bank's solid brand name and global reach to expand into new business lines.

tax documentation specialist

I worked at BNY Mellon

Pros

the work there is easy and there is almost no overtime needed. there are plenty of departments so that people can always find a good fit and it is easy to transfer from one department to another.

Cons

it is hard to carry the work as a career path.

Expect to be poor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY (US)

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generally there is a good work life balance.

Cons

When I first started at The Bank of New York, I felt like I hit the jackpot and would retire here. Full training was provided and opportunities to grow and learn were plentiful. The work environment was great and co-workers were happy. My reviews had consistently exceeded expectations and my salary increases represented that Since the merger with Mellon in 2007, and especially since the recession, it's a different place. My workloads and responsibilities have doubled yet my increases have stayed between 1.5 - 1.99% in spite of still "exceeding expectations" and that's after not receiving any raise at all in 2009. I'm actually making less money than when I started 14 years ago because the cost of living has exceeded my "raises". I can no longer afford to stay employed at BNY Mellon and most of my coworkers are looking for other jobs because we are overstressed, underpaid and no longer happy.. It's a good place to work if your a manger or above, or in a position where you are bringing in new business or clients, but if your in a job that keeps the business operating, expect to be poor. There are even employees (many) who receive some form of government assistance (in spite of being there a decade) because the salaries are so low. If your a college intern or recent graduate looking for a first job to gain experience it can be a good place to work, but don't expect to stay there long if you want a future.

Provide employees a decent living wage. Employees working at a big Wall Street Bank shouldn't have to receive government assistance or take on part time jobs just to survive.

Glass ceiling and uncompetitive compensation!

Current Employee - Corporate Trust Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Trust Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great! Plenty of bank holidays!

Cons

Stressful, no room for growth, and the starting salary is horrible!

Raises? Promotions? Salary increase?

Decent

Current Employee - Corporate Actions Senior Specialist in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Corporate Actions Senior Specialist in Pune (India)

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No significant pros to descirbe all standard industry norms are followed.

Cons

No Employee engament activites.
    No talent management or talent based promotions only sinority based promotions.
    Growth is unexpectetable

Dead End - Avoid If Possible

Current Employee - Control Accounting Specialist in King of Prussia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Control Accounting Specialist in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401k program is very good. Decent amount of time off.

Cons

Low salaries and raises. Upper management argues that the salaraies are "competitive" but BNY's competitors actually tend to pay significantly more. Meanwhile we get quarterly newsletters telling us about how much money the company keeps making....pretty darn insulting.

Promotions are uncommon and the raises that come with them are not commensurate.

Flat out boring atmosphere. Each day is exactly the same as the one before.

Bloated management structure. Many managers are lifers that just keep their heads down and tread water...lots of older people that got promoted because they put their time in but aren't qualified. Most are not proactive in helping you advance in your career and perhaps even discourage it, because keeping you in your seat forever makes things easier for them. These people prevent more deserving employees from moving up.

Lack of educational, career, and general professional growth opportunies.

New employees are often hired at higher salaries than experienced employees...very demoralizing.

Health benefits seem to have lowered in quality almost every year since I started working here.

Treat employees like human beings. Pay a fair salary.

It almost feels like office bullying.

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leaving at 5 p.m. Don't have much good to say when their managers seem to be trained to micro manage to a point where it's very nerve wracking. They tell you they want you to work as a team but they'll jump in your conversation with other coworkers when you ask a question to them, and tell you that it's in the procedure.

Cons

the biggest challenge is trying to deal with supervisors and management who are constantly sending themselves and members of the group instant messages telling us what we are doing wrong. It's a tool I think they're abusing and not creating a good atmosphere.

Start training and treating employees like say maybe Google and you might have higher stock value, happy employees and less turnover.

Too extreme.

Current Employee - Applications Services Manager II in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Services Manager II in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Room for growth and opportunities if time permits. Salary is decent.

Cons

Never had enough resources to leave time for learning and growth. Vacation times were frowned upon.

Learn how to stabilize the project flow, get enough people to manage the project work, and promote a good environment. Don't raise your voice, modify your arguments. Practice what you preach.