BT

BT Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

BT Chief Executive Ian Livingston

Ian Livingston

Pros:
  • "Best work/life balance of any company I've ever worked for"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "no work life balance, you may get leave but will be working on vacation also"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Senior management too accountant-heavy meaning the focus is on costs and not revenue"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fair

Head of Strategy (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than a year

ProsHonest genuine management focused on growing the company and creating a healthy organisation. Very good long term investments in place

ConsVery hard to get promoted and an obsession on 'deliverables'. You end up working very long hours to get a fair chance at a promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training and motivation

career progression

Strategy Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 5 years

Proswork - life balance; nice people

Conslow salary and strict policy on reward and promotions

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more into growing people internally and retain talents

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BT

ProsBenefits, Some good people, Nothing

ConsNot concerned about employees
Poor moral

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people

Great learning opportunities

Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to start your career in enterprise networking. Very knowledgeable staff and willing to teach newbies. Great management team that always looks out for their employees, as long as they are willing to put in the work.

ConsNo real upward mobility. Easy to start stagnating if you're not motivated or ambitious.

I'm working as R&D Supervisor. My work is to do trial of new machine / process and also some side jobs.

Supervisor Research and Development (Current Employee)
Tangerang (Indonesia)

I have been working at BT full-time for less than a year

ProsCocoa is one the most valuable commodities in Indonesia. Therefore, the cocoa business is really promising. Meanwhile, Cacao processing in Indonesia is still rare, so there are only a few competitors. And this company is recognized as one of Nestle's Partnership.

ConsI don't have any difficulties at work or job desk, but there are some challenging things here and most of them are managements, Managing people and time. Example: If I want to take samples for my R&D archive, I should ask operator, because production is always running even at midnight. I usually give them some label format to recognize my own sample. So, the sample will not lost and can be tracked.

Meanwhile, Managing time is difficult while you haven't done your current work, and you suddenly, have a new work to do. Usually, I ask the manager what is the most urgent, and see the time what can I do first. Example: there are 3 works that has been assigned at the same time range. Daily GMP verification, production trial, and check the different between 2 process. Production trial starts at 3:00 PM, and the most urgent. Mean while, I can handle the 2 jobs before doing the trial. Well, I have to work overtime if the trial starts at 3:00 PM, but I have no choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have to admit that most of the time, your company always chase on the target. You still have to take care of employee's life. Please be more concern about your employee because they're doing it not for themselves, but also your company.

BT Americas, Inc is a great company to work for.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at BT full-time for more than a year

ProsFor a large company regulated company, they get how to do business. They treat their employees with respect and compensate them above the market rate.

ConsThey are limited in network product offerings as North America is not built out at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do not have the sales resources to bring in the many opportunities in certain areas of the country.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Overall great company to work for, though it does have its ups and downs

Head of Business Development (Former Employee)

I worked at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBroad range of opportunities, variety, range of business activities, range of customers of all shapes and sizes, staff development, many of the people, flexible working policies. When the business does focus on a specific objective, it is good at motivating its people to achieve that and miracles can happen.

ConsInternal politics is a strong negative. The legacy of public service culture, whilst there are many opportunities, it is not as easy as you might think to access them and move across the company. Often seems very bureaucratic and slow, it is a very large company. Frequent reorganisations.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the customer and supporting your people to deliver and not on internal politics and building fiefdoms.

Corporate organisation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BT as a contractor

ProsInteresting products and services to work on.

ConsMiscommunication with to many layers from top to bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike the japanese structure with MD and Team Leaders and Team Members.

Nice friendly company to work

Test Lead (Former Employee)
Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at BT full-time for more than 3 years

Prosno politics is played by management

Consnot easy to commutable to remote locations

Advice to Senior Managementtry to increase customer satisfaction

Great company but lost its way encouraging Toxic Management

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI have worked for company since leaving school, had a great career experiencing many roles and have received a lot of support on professional and personal development. BT was up to 5 years ago a good place to work with committed people. I have developed myself through skills and experience and have over many years worked my way up through the hierarchy.
The benefits of working for BT have been good. Salary and share saves provide what is expected from such a large company and there have been opportunities to change career focus.

ConsThe culture has changed significantly over past 10 years, with the last 5 being significant with a growth in 'toxic management' activity and high incidents of covert bullying and harassment especially at the middle management layers as the company reduces it's costs.
No concept of 'team working' despite management rhetoric, it is each person for themselves which is reinforced by misused performance management and personal bonus activity. My experience is of a command and control culture which is a consequence of poor skilled managers. Performance management is an industry in BT with quarterly reviews, forced distribution curves and a heavy focus on the bottom 10% where there is a drive to force people out of the company by whatever means available. If your face does not fit then you will be managed out by any means that can be applied. Settlement Agreements are used to cover up poor people management practices and people are classed as 'labour cost' which is traded and used to support the large number of thiefdoms in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing your better employees with the way that you encourage your managers to operate. This was once a great company to work for where it was a pleasure to come to work and collaborating with 'like minded' others fostered positive change and a difference could be made. The me, myself and I culture driven by misused performance management and bonus culture which drives self fulfilment at any cost continues to destroy this company which is a real shame. The focus on short-term gain at the cost of longer-term organisational and people development to grow the business is misplaced.

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BT reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for BT CEO Ian Livingston. All 274 reviews are posted anonymously by BT employees.