BT

BT Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

BT Chief Executive Ian Livingston

Ian Livingston

Pros:
  • "Best work/life balance of any company I've ever worked for"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "no work life balance, you may get leave but will be working on vacation also"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Senior management too accountant-heavy meaning the focus is on costs and not revenue"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bad company Culture

Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee)
Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I worked at BT full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPride in working for a communications giant and multi-national powerhouse. Interesting work, collaboration and teamwork

ConsAt the "shop floor" level, it's a jungle, populated by hungry predators. If you do decide to work for them, take great care to ensure that you don't end up with metalwork in your back. In theory, there's a collegiate spirit in the company, with co-operation and respect between the individual subsidiaries. In reality, it's a series of Fiefdoms with an internal economy which ensures that they are all trying to steal each other's lunch money.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten the hierarchy at Operations level. The "little management" looks to you guys for an example. A pity that none of them have the character or talent to pull it off.

Transformation is the name of the game

Lead Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros1. High salary - BT pays good.
2. Good infrastructure - very good office spaces.
3. A good laptop, a smart phone and BT pays the bills.
4. An upcoming employee engagement community.
5. As a result of insourcing strategy lots of hirings, but very little work => Lots of free time.

Cons1. Very loose engineering focus.
2. Much of the work is very old school and often very mundane.
3. Lot of politically playing (very very experienced) people on the leadership team and people managers, who play hard ball.
4. Absolute dearth of growth. I have not seen any body getting promoted.
5. A lot of people with no work and this will ensure that they will lose their technical acumen in no time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more interaction with team members including their career aspects, passions, aspirations and more. An employee is not somebody who has been bought over with a high pay and can be commanded to be a slave.

It is better that current contractors are hired full time for the insourcing strategy.

not unlike any other

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BT

Prosa fair salary and bonus

Consuncompetitive benefits, not much opportunity to change roles, you have no control over your career, unless you are above a certain salary grade.

Excellent training but too large to fuction. Change for changes sake

London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAs with all large companies there are good people and bad people. In my experience most of the people left are hardworking. I've had some very expensive training paid for over the years

ConsOne year homeworking is "in" the next its "out" with little evidence its been thought through. I think it keeps people in jobs to impliment policy

Advice to Senior Managementappreciate the staff more

Safe company to work with committee based approach

Chief Designer (Current Employee)
Ipswich, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood projects if you are lucky
Work life balance
Fair salary
Job security

ConsStressful if working for the technology arm
Not dynamic
Low job satisfaction. Very little opportunity to make a difference even at senior levels

Advice to Senior ManagementRework organisation structures to reduce layers and duplication

Excellent place

I have been working at BT

ProsGreat managers,people,culture and innovation. If you need stability its the company you should work for

ConsProcess oriented. Can be very sluggish so needs patience

Glorified service based not product based BT India

Lead Consultant (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at BT full-time for less than a year

Pros- N% higher than market salary
- Flexible work timings
- Job designation, whatever you ask for
- Gem of technical resources

Cons- Zero, I really mean it, work life balance for techies. May not be so for managers, who distribute work like reputed postmen and leave for home, henceforth disturbing the balance for technical resources.
- Too much focus on non-technical Line Managers, who don't even understand a fig of what his reports work on.
- Fickle and narrow minded lower management, which perceives any performing resource as threat
- The lure of HR mentioning this as product based org clears in 3-4 weeks as you understand the dynamics of org. Since vendors are still there for BT, working in parallel, so the management asks you to justify your package by comparing only the quantity as they shift-deleted "quality" from their dictionary long time back, while working with vendors like TechM, TCS, Accenture n Infy.
- Finally, comes the rating system, which evaluates you every quarter and the micro management comes to the fore, wherein you would discussed about tea-breaks, that one sick leave and a bad rating to start with

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great name to have on CV and satisfaction depends on location within company

Corporate Account Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat name / company to have on CV with the occasional opportunity to learn and grow. working for BT group in HQ can be great

ConsGenerally have little faith in there employees, quote values (like honesty, straight forward, etc.) at every opportunity however have little mortal values at core, using the system and HR partners to benefit hidden agendas.

Working as lower / middle management or as team members in places other then group (ie BT Retail or Openreach) is not so good.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror when quoting key values. Pay some real interest in your business including employees, not just overall financial figures. A simple presentation or email once a while from a marketing team stating employees mater is just not good enough

BTE - worrying times ahead..

Technical Support (Current Employee)
Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI would say the new offices, but considering where they are - I won't!

ConsAn over confident management team, allowing major competitors access to our biggest customers - who are now migrating to those competitor products.

Building and designing all solutions down to the very lowest cost, and then expecting them to work.

Outsourcing support staff to India, but with call queues still rising - how long does the saying 'you get what you pay for' need to sink in to managments brains..

Figure out that the bottom line isn't allways the most important thing in the world ( unless your bonus is based on it of course!)

Zero in flight, or in role promotion prospects - in twelve years here I have known of one person be promoted to the next level up, but thats more due to no defined job structures than anything else.

A large number of staff simply waiting for sharesave to mature in Aug 2014, and so zero interest in current role.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and realize that our competitors do have products that they can sell in our market place. RA taking customers away from us is a prime example. You have been very complacent.

Think seriously about the current outsourcing solution - increased call queues and customer unhappiness do not make good bed fellows.

Everything is there, but nothing is there

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than a year

Pros1. You will get good pay package if you dare to negotiate more.
2. Yearly increments better than service companies.
3. Lot of challenging work and if you enjoy challenges everyday, this is the company to look for.
4. Highly competent colleagues and work environment.

Cons1. Pay packages are not uniform. It solely depends on previous pay package and negotiation.
2. Even though challenging work is there, it will not add much to your profile as most of the applications use legacy technologies and the application stack which is been running from more than 10 years is completely out of date.
3. Dumbest appraisal system I have ever seen. Employees get 4 appraisals a year and each time, we get same rating of - Achieved Standards. irrespective of amount of work done. Even if people are working too hard sacrificing their personal life, they get Achieved Standards as this is what company expects from you. It is really difficult to give importance to such appraisal system.
4. Management is more business oriented than technology oriented. Whenever they speak, they will talk about reducing cost, increasing profit, revenue - rather than innovation and technology.
5. So much lateral hiring. Very less chance for promotions within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably, you should go back to vendors. You don't understand how to manage IT crowd in India and insoucing is not your cup to tea.

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BT reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for BT CEO Ian Livingston. All 271 reviews are posted anonymously by BT employees.