BT

BT Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

BT Chief Executive Ian Livingston

Ian Livingston

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes(in 48 reviews)

• Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance(in 14 reviews)

• Senior management lack honesty and there can often be a culture of intimidation through abuse of performance management(in 27 reviews)

Not a good place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Proswork life balance is good but again it depends on your project. Some projects are hell..so before joining BT, confirm this from anyone who is actually working in that project. Good gang of table tennis players

ConsThere are many to mention:-

1. Initially you will find it smooth. problem will start when u will get your fist rating. Even for getting normal rating(AS) you need to struggle and management is too much into cost cutting. So they will always give you any bloody reason for average rating and that would affect your financial growth.

2 Hike system is very poor. last year most people got hike in 1 digit

3. Most of the time you will be involved working with vendors(TCS , TechM) and there is huge confusion what to do and what not. Process is not very much clear to anybody.

Advice to Senior Managementwhy you guys are so much into cost cutting. Make people happy, provide a better and positive atmosphere. and plzzz stop recruiting all those dumb and frustrated guys who worked for BT project from vendor location. They are ruing the BT work culture.

Butter to management means half job is done

Technical Analyst (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsButter to management means half job is done

Cons1. Inconsistent hiring like skilled people doing normal jobs while unskilled or management favorites doing the best one.
    2. The more you do buttering the more you will achieve regardless of skills and experience.
    3. Employees in Indian operations are treated as slaves.
    4. I have seen people getting 4 promotions in a single year.
    5 Flawed rating system.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the trend continues like this they will have to wind up Indian operations soon

Excellent company for long tem stay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBT offers a great work life balance and enormous opportunities to work on big projects in a global environment. You get an opportunity to know about all the upcoming products and services in market

ConsFor some roles, No proper career path is defined so an individual has to look out for himself and apply internally for a new role

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, a bit like a Government body

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsLots of scope for things to do, people are nice, it seems progressive. they are flexible when working from home.

ConsBig wheels turn much slower, also documentation, having to jump through hoops to get things done

Advice to Senior ManagementIn house technology needs to improve. BYOB etc.

Decent company flexible hours.

Solutions Architect (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood hours flexible schedule - good work from home policy

ConsLots of overhead bureaucracy and lack of common sense. How and why would you apply software development best practices and design principles to IT infrastructure designs focused on networking? Waste of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet ride of the cumbersome quarterly performance review process. It's unproductive and wastes too much time. Twice a year should suffice.

Delivery Manager

Delivery Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsAmazing processes, individuals and all around the moral is great

Consnot many challenges coming from Level 3 Communications processes.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

overall very positive

ProsGood grounding in corporate life and telecoms

ConsNot a forward thinking company

It's true what they say that if you're good at your job you'll never be promoted

Telecoms Engineer (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsSome great people to work with and a handful of very good managers. Mairaed Meyer is fantastic. The Great Place to Work Survey has highlighted how bad BT is and they are trying to do something about it.

ConsThe managers are generally speaking useless and haven't much of a clue, definitely not to be trusted. They fail to recognise their good employees and there is a lot of dead wood. The work is hand picked and many engineers can't do any difficult work. The promotions are given to the best talkers from one religion and not on merit or capability. The rumours in BT are awful and in NI there is too much discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dead wood and only have engineering managers that have knowledge of the subject. Carry out a religious audit across the company in NI and you'd be shocked.

Work place tyranny!

Volume Engineer (Current Employee) Inverness, Scotland (UK)

ProsVery few left, sharesave options if you can afford them.

ConsRuthless senior managers bullying middle managers bullying engineers. Was a good company to work for before trackers and performance management, company is now run on statistic dashboards and performance analysts looking at trends and behaviours for discipline purposes 'work place tyranny'. Members of my team off on sick leave due to stress, number of engineers leaving increased work load on those unhappy engineers left, this is causing major issues in our team very low morale and a very unhappy place to come to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have really lost your engineering workforce, a happy workforce is a productive and good willed workforce, you have neither! Lots of good engineers leaving including myself as soon as I get an opportunity to do so.

Getting better, now a good place to work

Coach (Current Employee) Southampton, England (UK)

ProsLots of opportunities to advance, the customer is now being put first. Good work life balance

ConsSometimes you may have to travel for work, depending on where they need you. Quarterly reviews and coaching plans but it is done fairly

Advice to Senior ManagementCarry on with putting the customer first and Continuous Improvement, and start looking after the network

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!