BT

Updated 25 November 2014
Updated 25 November 2014
2.7

Gavin Patterson

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes (in 52 reviews)

• Very flexible in terms of being able to work from home/remotely if needed (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Performance management structure mean everyone is out for themselves creating a poor team environment (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Offshoring like crazy!

Current Employee - Finance Analyst/Accountant in Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst/Accountant in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at BT full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible in terms of being able to work from home/remotely if needed. Everyone was very friendly in the Dallas office.

Cons

They offshored 80% of the Finance and Accounting jobs to India. The Americas CFO told us in a conference call that there would be extensive layoffs and we would be informed in the next 48 hours. Anyone that was left, had to interview for any remaining positions and hope they get picked. We have 3 months until our job is officially over. In the meantime, we have to train our replacements that will take our jobs in India. I really want to know how some guy in India, is going to do a Finance Manager's role which entails lots of writing and variance analysis.

Also, they make you pay money to every company event in order to attend. We had to pay $5, just to take part in the Thanksgiving potluck and Christmas party.

If you had these layoffs planned, then don't bother hiring new full-time workers less than a year before the layoffs and leading them on that they have a future with the company. That's what contractors are for.

Horrible experience dealing with office politics

I have been working at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay. BT pays you well and there are no hidden components.

Cons

Work life balance
    Multi tasking and high pressure environments
    Vendors still call the shots
    Directionless management with unreasonable objectives

If you do not get the India story right, you would have people quitting very soon. That means, it would be back to outsourcing.

Good points and bad points: Solutions Designer

Current Employee - Solutions Designer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Solutions Designer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The major pro is job security as BT have never made people forcefully redundant. They pay is OK and I have done some interesting work in my time. Employes get free perks such as free broadband, BT vision, cheap calls from their company mobiles and I am one of the lucky ones that is registered as a flexible worker.

I know individuals that are still working in BT for the past 44 years.

ALP: Accredited Learning Pathways: These let individuals pick a professional training pathway and do include professional courses. They cover anything from visualization to project management.

Share save scheme: This is great as it allows individuals to save money before take and buy shares at the price they were 3 to 5 years ago. Some many BT employees invested in this when it was 60p and now the shares are worth around £3.60, so the people that invested £250 for fives can basically pay off there mortgage now. Even if the shares didn't go up in value they still could have take the money back, with interest, and wouldn't had to pay any tax on it..

I have always been paid on-time and engineers are paid well

Cons

* Home and Flexible working: - Over the past two years BT has changed people from home workers to office based workers as they say it improves communication from the staff. I do work from home some days, but I'm still based from an office.
    * T&S: - BT's policy on travel is now pretty much non-existent. Cheapest hotel, cheapest way of getting there, small allowance that doesn't even cover the cost of the night time meal. When I travel I'm basically paying for part of it, however I do have a few beers when I do.
    * Free broadband but no free line rental: You just feel that although you get free broadband there making money out of you as you have to buy the telephone line from them.
    * Work conditions: Where I work there are 6 desks, but there can be up to 12 people wanting one. H&S goes out the window with boxes and equipment left on the floor in this un-airconditioned office that sometimes reaches 31 degrees.
    * BT Vans: You either get one without air conditioning or a restricted vehicle. BT still buys vehicles today without air conditioning, which means those hard working engineers have to boil.
    * Career Progression: - This can be good if you know Juniper or Cisco as BT is a telecommunication company, but even though my skills are sort after outside, progression for me has been very difficult.
    * APR's and 1-2-1: The very worst thing about working for BT is the APR, DPR, & 1-2-1 process. You basically have to write war a piece to get an Achieving Standards grade to get your bonus. It is the most long winded, pointless thing I. Even if I have saved or made BT loads of money or done something special for your customer you are very hard pushed to be recognised and most times you get a graded depending on internal politics or internal budgets.

Change the following:
    Allow people to become home based workers again
    Simplify or remove the APR/DPR process. It's a waste of time!!!!
    Don't keep pushing to reduce T&S to a point that now body will travel.
    Put air con in the vans for the hard working engineers
    Give your workers free line rental or at least discounted line rental.

Keep up the good work with the following:
    ALP's
    Sharesave

Good company, but you will be asked perform greater than your pay grade

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good projects
    Huge learning curve
    You will love it as Geek
    Average Employee benefits like free phone, internet, leave requests, etc...

Cons

Employee have to focus on multiple things at the same time.
    Frequent change in role.
    Developers are asked to engage lot of paperwork with their strict development timelines.

Positive company, but can be too large at times.

Former Employee - First Line Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - First Line Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity, diversity, good pay and people. Culturally diverse, and recognised brand which puts you in good stead for future external opportunities. Roles can be diverse and challenging, and your ceiling is only imposed by your personal aspirations.

Cons

Some long-standing staff resistant to change and new ideas. Secondment culture means you can take on additional tasks without any guaranteed rewards. Also, if you work for an area of the business that isn't doing so great, it can taint your future through association with potential failure.

Look to

Great place but little progression

Former Employee - Project Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at BT full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was a great place to be. The people are awesome and generally the opportunities to move are good. It's a very secure place to work

Cons

Pay is nowhere near the market value. There's is no way to progress up in the company without significantly moving jobs, as most people don't leave ever they stay in the old way of in the job for 40 years. I felt I had to leave to get up in my career

Have a good mix of Recruiting lower level managers externally and internally as the mix when right can be phenomenal

Good employer but very limited opportunities for personal development and career progression.

I worked at BT full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My experience was that there was a flexible working environment with a very good work life balance. The compensation and benefits package was near industry average.

Cons

I found that senior management, in most cases, paid lip service to personal development and there were very limited opportunities for personal growth and progression

Really need to review individual opportunities for growth and development to retain top performers.

Average company to work for

Current Employee - Project Manager in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good for new entrants who need experience
    Good for personal growth as company is ramping up India Operations

Cons

Poor leadership & vision
    Lack of professional conduct in management
    Poor in Training & Persnal development
    No work life balance
    Heavy work load which causes high attrition

Training & development of employees is a key aspect for a company's success and it should be addressed.
    Junior management needs to be trained on people management & inter-personal skills.

Brilliant company to work for

I worked at BT

Pros

Innovative and transforming itself and telecoms/media landscape

Cons

None specifically at this point

Keep going!

Useless from top to bottom

Current Employee - Key Account Manager BT Retail in Brentwood, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Key Account Manager BT Retail in Brentwood, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free broadband and £10 each for your Christmas meal, as long as it's outside work hours.

Cons

By the time the internal cogs start moving on a deal and you have pricing approved the slicker competition will be out with your old client having a slap up meal. BT Retails management are s joke who only care about themselves rather than staff or customers. They double claim deals to hit numbers whilst bullying staff. A horrid company that is going backwards fast

Fire yourself and get people in that care about customers and staff.

BT Photos

Headquarters of BT Group, housed in BT Centre, located in London (Photo attributed to Martin Addison - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)
Inside the office