Bain & Company

Bain & Company Reviews

Updated Apr 05, 2014

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek

Bob Bechek

Pros:
  • "The work culture and work-life balance of teams here is much better than the other organizations I have worked with"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great people who really care about both their colleagues and solving client problems"
    in 43 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can be very hard to maintain in this career"
    in 74 reviews
  • "Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours"
    in 83 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work hard, play hard. A great culture in a job very demanding from an intellectual point of view

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- A real team spirit
- Working with some of the brightest minds you will ever meet
- A very efficient alumni network

Cons- Work life balance is hard on the long run, although much better than investment banking
- Only work for big companies

Very good

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTravel and flexibility is very good. Good learning opportunities. Decent salary for hours worked. Very international feel to all of the offices

ConsLack of visibility over where you will be staffed next. Some issues around taking leave but all in all a very good place to work

Advice to Senior Managementxx

Great place to work but takes getting used to!

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat employer with an amazing cohort of down-to-earth, talented consultants who are fun to hang out with; great opportunities to travel both domestically and internationally, as well as pursue learning opportunities both within the Bain network but also through MBAs

ConsAs with all professional services, hours can be long and travel intense. Increased turnover within the Australian business over the past couple of years, with sustainability and work/life balance being the biggest challenge facing the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo ensure sustainability is a top priority within the business, to prevent burnouts, breakdowns and depression within the workplace. There are very few people within the business that have created a sustainable balance, so it can be difficult to train junior staff or transfers to develop/display the right behaviours within the business

The best people and culture and unparalleled development opportunities

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf there was ever a company that invested in its people it's Bain. Local and global training, formal mentorship and sponsor programs, diversity initiatives, customised learning, learning through apprenticeship - that's all Bain.
The Bain culture is very strong and cemented on genuine values that resonate with Bainies. People are very smart, but pragmatic, fun to work with and down to earth. We help each other out. You actually DO want to see these people on weekends!

ConsAs in any other consulting job, the hours can be long and a bit unpredictable. It is really about getting used to it. But I think Bain is amongst the best in the industry in terms of actively managing sustainability and ensuring that flexible options are available so people don't get burned out

Great place to build a career in business

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at Bain & Company

ProsThe best aspect of Bain is the people, which make it the the most fun and friendly of the top tier consulting firms to work for

ConsAs with all the top tier firms, Bain is a competitive place and you need to be talented to succeed

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the focus on sustainability - it is possible to be a successful consultant and maintain a good work/life balance

Fantastic career development

Consultant (Former Employee)
Melbourne

I worked at Bain & Company

Prosgreat personal development processes, including international and local class based training. Bain also allows consulting staff to remain "generalised" until they become quite senior, which means that you are gauranteed exposure to many different industries, capabilities and functions over the course of your career. Bain's private equity practice is much larger than its nearest competitors, which means that you are offered opportunities to work between typical strategic cases and 'Due Diligence' work in the Private Equity group.

Conshours can be long, travel can be significant. Also, the regional staffing model means that to some extent you are confined to the industry mix of the office in which you are located

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work!

The best job I've ever had

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

ProsI am an Executive Assistant and absolutely love it. There is a tremendous investment on people here at Bain. That's important to feel especially in a support staff role. I feel empowered, encouraged and valued in my role. The work is always changing, and that keeps it fun and exciting. The focus on work life balance is unlike anything I've ever seen for EAs. Also, there are opportunities galore - if you are interested in learning a different industry - be it HR, IT, Recruiting, Marketing, etc, they take those desires seriously and will work to place you in that space.

ConsSecuring conference room space is getting difficult because we are growing so much!

Advice to Senior ManagementI am so impressed with your continuous improvement focus! Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you!

The BEST place to work

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

ProsAs others have said, this place is full of amazing people. Interesting, high-impact work. There is no better place to start your career.

ConsHours can be long but it is possible to create a sustainable lifestyle

Awesome place to work!

New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAs a part of the Shared Services team at Bain, I am a strong promoter. The work culture and work-life balance of teams here is much better than the other organizations I have worked with. Employees feel valued and broad based benefits that are provided here are great. Most importantly, working at Bain is FUN :)

ConsI think the biggest challenge for shared-services employees is career progression and lack of a defined career path. A structured performance based growth plan is missing for most shared services teams.

Dynamic and challenging learning environment with top-notch people to support you

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople are engaged, smart and interested. Projects and teams are focused on results and driving real impact. You'll take on work that allows you to grow and learn and realize that you are learning a lot along the way. There are countless opportunities for advancement and growth (for your position, office).

ConsAlmost everyone is time constrained and focused on results, so this creates a constant flow of work that is never done and can pile up.

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bain & Company CEO Bob Bechek. All 487 reviews are posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees.