Bain & Company Reviews

Updated 17 October 2014
4.6

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • My function focuses a lot on work life balance and provides lot of flexibility (in 30 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 98 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 104 reviews)

More Highlights

fantastic

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Sydney
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Sydney

I worked at Bain & Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

everyone was very friendly

great culture

lots of opportunity

Cons

There were quite long hours.

Hard work, poor value proposition

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Sydney
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are consistently awesome. Great sense of humour, intelligence, integrity, ethics. The perks are also phenomenal - health insurance, good salary, plenty of fun and social opportunities

Cons

The hours can be very long, doing very stupid stuff on the request of clients
    I didn't feel there was as much of a mentorship culture as they sell in recruiting, I felt that I was hung out to dry when the going got tough
    Type of work almost feels deceitful in that it is often quite simple, but charged out at phenomenal rates and packaged nicely

If your employees are struggling, consider having them work with other people instead of perpetuating the bad situation

Work hard, play hard. A great culture in a job very demanding from an intellectual point of view

Former Employee - Consultant in Sydney
    Former Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- A real team spirit
    - Working with some of the brightest minds you will ever meet
    - A very efficient alumni network

Cons

- Work life balance is hard on the long run, although much better than investment banking
    - Only work for big companies

Very good

Current Employee - Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Travel and flexibility is very good. Good learning opportunities. Decent salary for hours worked. Very international feel to all of the offices

Cons

Lack of visibility over where you will be staffed next. Some issues around taking leave but all in all a very good place to work

xx

Great place to work but takes getting used to!

Current Employee - Consultant in Sydney
    Current Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great employer with an amazing cohort of down-to-earth, talented consultants who are fun to hang out with; great opportunities to travel both domestically and internationally, as well as pursue learning opportunities both within the Bain network but also through MBAs

Cons

As with all professional services, hours can be long and travel intense. Increased turnover within the Australian business over the past couple of years, with sustainability and work/life balance being the biggest challenge facing the business.

Do ensure sustainability is a top priority within the business, to prevent burnouts, breakdowns and depression within the workplace. There are very few people within the business that have created a sustainable balance, so it can be difficult to train junior staff or transfers to develop/display the right behaviours within the business

The best people and culture and unparalleled development opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If there was ever a company that invested in its people it's Bain. Local and global training, formal mentorship and sponsor programs, diversity initiatives, customised learning, learning through apprenticeship - that's all Bain.
    The Bain culture is very strong and cemented on genuine values that resonate with Bainies. People are very smart, but pragmatic, fun to work with and down to earth. We help each other out. You actually DO want to see these people on weekends!

Cons

As in any other consulting job, the hours can be long and a bit unpredictable. It is really about getting used to it. But I think Bain is amongst the best in the industry in terms of actively managing sustainability and ensuring that flexible options are available so people don't get burned out

Great place to build a career in business

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

The best aspect of Bain is the people, which make it the the most fun and friendly of the top tier consulting firms to work for

Cons

As with all the top tier firms, Bain is a competitive place and you need to be talented to succeed

Keep up the focus on sustainability - it is possible to be a successful consultant and maintain a good work/life balance

Fantastic career development

Former Employee - Consultant in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

great personal development processes, including international and local class based training. Bain also allows consulting staff to remain "generalised" until they become quite senior, which means that you are gauranteed exposure to many different industries, capabilities and functions over the course of your career. Bain's private equity practice is much larger than its nearest competitors, which means that you are offered opportunities to work between typical strategic cases and 'Due Diligence' work in the Private Equity group.

Cons

hours can be long, travel can be significant. Also, the regional staffing model means that to some extent you are confined to the industry mix of the office in which you are located

keep up the good work!

Best Place to Work - No Lie

Current Employee - Non-Consulting Staff in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Non-Consulting Staff in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bain is a great place to work. I feel very fortunate to have landed my non-consulting job here. Plenty of personal time off, the training has been great and my colleagues are fantastic. It's so nice to work at a place where I never have to say, "that person is an idiot," because pretty much everyone at Bain is intelligent and thoughtful. My supervisors have been extremely supportive, I've been able to work in a way at Bain that I haven't been able to at any other company. Bain has an entrepreneur spirit in that you can "build your own Bain." At Bain we do the things we want to do and are passionate about, not just the things that just pay the bills.

I've worked at many other companies that people consider glamorous and are great for the resume. The management at Bain is fantastic, I promise you, it will be hard to find a better company to work for.

Cons

If you're non-consulting staff there is a divide and you will feel it. Consultants are the bread and butter of the company (it is a consulting firm, after all!) and you will be reminded of this occasionally. There is ALWAYS a ton of work to do which is great for opportunity but can kill your live/work balance if you let it. It's up to you.

You can't find a better first job.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've never been around a group of people as highly motivated and yet intensely caring; people want you to succeed not just because it makes them look good, but because apprenticeship and mentorship are the lifeblood of the business. Relaxed, informal culture that gives you the opportunity and skills to succeed.

Cons

Long hours, and the fact that you are never the one creating something; the hallmark of success at this job is helping someone else succeed.

Keep doing what you're doing; as long as the business is growing and we are taking share, the opportunities will come and people will be happy.