Bain & Company

Updated 24 November 2014
4.7

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • My function focuses a lot on work life balance and provides lot of flexibility (in 32 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 104 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 108 reviews)

More Highlights

fantastic

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Sydney
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Sydney

I worked at Bain & Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

everyone was very friendly

great culture

lots of opportunity

Cons

There were quite long hours.

Hard work, poor value proposition

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Sydney
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are consistently awesome. Great sense of humour, intelligence, integrity, ethics. The perks are also phenomenal - health insurance, good salary, plenty of fun and social opportunities

Cons

The hours can be very long, doing very stupid stuff on the request of clients
    I didn't feel there was as much of a mentorship culture as they sell in recruiting, I felt that I was hung out to dry when the going got tough
    Type of work almost feels deceitful in that it is often quite simple, but charged out at phenomenal rates and packaged nicely

If your employees are struggling, consider having them work with other people instead of perpetuating the bad situation

Work hard, play hard. A great culture in a job very demanding from an intellectual point of view

Former Employee - Consultant in Sydney
    Former Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- A real team spirit
    - Working with some of the brightest minds you will ever meet
    - A very efficient alumni network

Cons

- Work life balance is hard on the long run, although much better than investment banking
    - Only work for big companies

Very good

Current Employee - Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Travel and flexibility is very good. Good learning opportunities. Decent salary for hours worked. Very international feel to all of the offices

Cons

Lack of visibility over where you will be staffed next. Some issues around taking leave but all in all a very good place to work

xx

Great place to work but takes getting used to!

Current Employee - Consultant in Sydney
    Current Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great employer with an amazing cohort of down-to-earth, talented consultants who are fun to hang out with; great opportunities to travel both domestically and internationally, as well as pursue learning opportunities both within the Bain network but also through MBAs

Cons

As with all professional services, hours can be long and travel intense. Increased turnover within the Australian business over the past couple of years, with sustainability and work/life balance being the biggest challenge facing the business.

Do ensure sustainability is a top priority within the business, to prevent burnouts, breakdowns and depression within the workplace. There are very few people within the business that have created a sustainable balance, so it can be difficult to train junior staff or transfers to develop/display the right behaviours within the business

The best people and culture and unparalleled development opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If there was ever a company that invested in its people it's Bain. Local and global training, formal mentorship and sponsor programs, diversity initiatives, customised learning, learning through apprenticeship - that's all Bain.
    The Bain culture is very strong and cemented on genuine values that resonate with Bainies. People are very smart, but pragmatic, fun to work with and down to earth. We help each other out. You actually DO want to see these people on weekends!

Cons

As in any other consulting job, the hours can be long and a bit unpredictable. It is really about getting used to it. But I think Bain is amongst the best in the industry in terms of actively managing sustainability and ensuring that flexible options are available so people don't get burned out

Great place to build a career in business

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

The best aspect of Bain is the people, which make it the the most fun and friendly of the top tier consulting firms to work for

Cons

As with all the top tier firms, Bain is a competitive place and you need to be talented to succeed

Keep up the focus on sustainability - it is possible to be a successful consultant and maintain a good work/life balance

Fantastic career development

Former Employee - Consultant in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

great personal development processes, including international and local class based training. Bain also allows consulting staff to remain "generalised" until they become quite senior, which means that you are gauranteed exposure to many different industries, capabilities and functions over the course of your career. Bain's private equity practice is much larger than its nearest competitors, which means that you are offered opportunities to work between typical strategic cases and 'Due Diligence' work in the Private Equity group.

Cons

hours can be long, travel can be significant. Also, the regional staffing model means that to some extent you are confined to the industry mix of the office in which you are located

keep up the good work!

Great place, great opportunities, hard work

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bain has been a tremendous employer. The work is challenging, the people amazing. I've learned more than I could have imagined, and head off to graduate school feeling well prepared and excited for what comes next. I'm grateful I chose Bain as my first job out of college.

Cons

The work in intense, the hours long. They tell you that in recruiting, but until it becomes real it's hard to understand how it feels. At times you're staffed to casework that feels fascinating and important, at other times it feels less interesting. there is, though, a real focus on making sure that whatever you're doing has impact.

Incredible culture, people, development

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What really sets Bain apart from other hard-working, smart professional services firms is that Bain has prioritized a culture of genuine caring about people - employees, clients, community. I was often impressed and inspired by leadership's dedication to doing what was right for the client, and simultaneously trying to protect sustainable work-life balance and continuously cultivate a fun, connected office/firm culture. I loved and benefitted immensely from the focus on professional development, mentorship, regular and real-time 360 degree feedback, and learning (with learning lunches covering a wide array of topics beyond what's most relevant to case work).

Cons

Work-life balance is still variable, depending on the client, case scoping, and team leadership. While there are a lot of benefits to the highly structured skills progression expectations across levels, Associate Consultants can sometimes feel limited to owning data analysis even when they could start demonstrating some of the higher-level thinking and "soft skills" that are more expected of Consultants and Managers.

Build into the revamp of the AC program earlier training on the important "soft skills" of general management, and start using tools that will cut down on the Excel data crunching that ACs spend a lot of time on.