Baker & Taylor

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

George Coe

Think twice

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Commerce, GA (US)

ProsPeople are friendly. Hours are good for parents with children in school.

ConsBenefits are expensive, management has their head in the sand (unless you are related or one of their friends), unfair work treatment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and run this company like a company. Pay competitive rates and get better insurance. Make sure you give 48 hours notice on OT. Treat the employees with respect and compassion. Get management/supervisors to understand that they are not on the top of the "food chain."

Dead End

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bridgewater, NJ (US)

ProsFairly good benefits. Corporate communications improving.

ConsVery hierarchical. Directors promote managers...managers promote supervisors, but rank-and-file get nothing. Strong favoritism in my dept. Antagonistic attitude toward employees from corporate HQ in Charlotte. Unusual leave policies and company granted holiday time. Salaries somewhat below industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some incentives beyond "at least you have a job."

Ok in the beginning, Stressful once new Leadership arrived.

Email Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsPay was ok, not the best - good benefits and paid time off. Lots of potential to grow in the beginning. Free movies and books from time to time.

ConsOnce new Leadership arrived, things changed drastically. Words like "Synergy" were thrown around repeatedly, and then layoff's ensued - starting with the marketing department. The direction the company was going wasn't very clear, and a lot of new hires didn't make much sense. The environment became very tense as layoff after layoff continued - until finally I was laid off. I was actually relieved at that point (I was one of the last they let go).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't layoff proven employees that help grow a company just because you think they don't fit into your "vision for the future". And do a better job of communicating what "synergy" means.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate America at Its Worst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsThe pay was reasonable and benefits met with industry standard. I can also say that workers in other departments seemed to be very happy and their teams were much closer than mine, so it would seem that job satisfaction depends on the department you are in and leadership of the team.

ConsNepotism, secrecy and little opportunity for advancement. I worked here through the economic downturn and experienced two different leadership regimes as a result. I never thought I'd miss the first until I experienced the second. The first was very inflexible and old-school in their approach, but they were good people at heart, maybe a little too jaded. Working for them was boring, but consistent.

The second group was inexperienced, sophomoric and highly unprofessional in their leadership approach. It felt more like high school than a place of business. Neither regime understood technology well enough to lead technologists of any discipline, and both were too prideful to defer to the specialists they had on staff in matters concerning their specialties. I felt very isolated most of the time because it was made clear that my intellectual contributions weren't welcomed.

The environment was ruled by fear and the effect was palpable. So much so that after a friend of mine visited to meet with upper management, when I saw him next he said, "That place is toxic, and you can feel it right you walk in the door. It definitely starts from the top."

Advice to Senior ManagementIt makes no sense at all to seek out the best fit for a job and then undermine their contributions or belittle their efforts. When you hire people who specialize in an area of importance to your goals, defer to their judgement. Promote more leaders and less managers.

System Support Specialist

Systems Support Specialist (Current Employee) Commerce, GA (US)

ProsGreat work environment, great people!

ConsManagement isn't the best - in this department; opportunities for advancement are only in the corporate office and they don't pay relocation fees

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider leadership and compensation

Very Smart cxompany

Regional Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsWork enviornment, Leadership, some opportunities

ConsLow pay on base salarys

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Leadership in place for Baker & Taylor

:-)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat training provided with resourceful coworkers.

ConsCross-training was not provided as often.

Typical warehouse

Sorter (Current Employee) Reno, NV (US)

ProsIncentives are really good if you work for it. You work independently and plenty of work.

ConsOf course being a warehouse, no AC and hot summers. I wish there were fans for each station and not as hot of lights during the night.

not for me

Cls (Former Employee) Momence, IL (US)

ProsEasy to get in, above min wage

Consno notice overtime one day, then sent home early the next. Very repetitive, secluded with no social interaction most of the day. If your not on the supervisors good side, be ready to be bullied and crying. It seems like A LOT of people come and go from this company. There's a reason why. 6-2:30 was too early for me, but CLS is only on that shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into your supervisors/workers. Ask opinions. Happy workers make happy customers which make money.

My peers and managers were afraid to voice their opinions and ideas even if the department direction was a failing one.

Web Designer/Developer (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

Prosgood learning experience. managment doesnt value employess

Consnot a good family work life. doesn't understand user experience or the value of it. every blindly follows without voicing solid ideas

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the opinions and ideas of your team

Worked for Baker & Taylor? Contribute to the Community!