Baldor Electric Reviews

Baldor Electric President & CEO Ronald Tucker
Ronald Tucker

Product Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR (US)

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great company to build a career with many opportunities for advancement. Company education support and profit sharing are great.

Cons

Fort Smith is a city of 80,000. You need to enjoy the outdoors and family life. Some young folks may not find enough excitement, but its just right for me. Fayetteville/Rogers/Bentonville is an hour away with a new music venue.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. SAP Business Analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR (US)

I have been working at Baldor Electric (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good working environment. Strong culture. Most employees have been there for over 25 years. They pay for education if you have been there for a while. Lots of internal training class opportunities on leadership, management, software, products, etc. .

Cons

Pay lower than average for highly skilled IT workers. Cube city for most office folks - even managers.

Advice to Management

At least pay average payscale.

3. good coworkers -corporate management lacking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR (US)

I have been working at Baldor Electric (More than 10 years)

Pros

Local coworkers great to work with. most managers flexible with family/work life. Profit sharing program great.

Cons

Female employees salaries need to be the same as equal male counterparts. Salaried employees get the bad end of the stick when it comes to promotions and raises. Corporate managers need to talk and really listen to all employees

Advice to Management

Get away from "the good ol boy" mentality

Great company to work for

I have been working at Baldor Electric

Pros

The Baldor culture is great, pay seems very fair, and there is plenty of room for growth. I have moved through 3 positions so far within 6 years and all have been a great improvement for me.

Cons

A challenge I see with the company is some individuals not seeing the positives that the ABB corporation has brought to Baldor. There are many new opportunities since becoming a member of the ABB group.

I was an electrical mechanical technician at the St. Louis plant and the maintenance supervisor and team was top notch.

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great safety program and open door policy with management. They treat employees like family.

Cons

Baldor Electric tried to keep up to date with certain aspects of the manufacturing process however some of the equipment is severely outdated and the employees have limited training on procedures dealing with existing and new equipment.

Advice to Management

Management needs to get more involved with training of new employees and continued competency training with all employees. Also the paid time off and sick leave needs to be reevaluated so that employees can actually take vacations in the first 2 years of employment.

Baldor Electric is not good for a career.

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are none for salaried employees.

Cons

You will not see any good reviews from Reliance plants. It's amazing anyone would write a good word after getting our second round of not getting a raise in 3-4 years. These are employees form Baldor plants who are conditioned. They are used to getting ripped. Some people will work their butts off no matter how badly they are treated. Some of this can be attributed to being job scared and can't relocate. Baldor will take a raise from us every 3-4 years. You will lose ground on the average salary elsewhere.

Advice to Management

People are your most important asset yet you treat salaried people like their are scum. You give hourly people raised but then crap on us when a lot of us are making less than the hourly people.

8. Nice place to work.

I worked at Baldor Electric

Pros

Management is pretty relaxed as long as you perform your job. Willing to work with you in any situation.

Cons

I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING.

9. Excellent company to work for!

Current Employee - Information Services in South Fort Smith, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Information Services in South Fort Smith, AR (US)

I have been working at Baldor Electric

Pros

Good salary and lots of opportunity for advancement. There is a real family feel to the company.

Cons

Raises are slow to come and are generally low.

10. Design engineer

Current Employee - CO Engineering in Flowery Branch, GA (US)
    Current Employee - CO Engineering in Flowery Branch, GA (US)

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time

Pros

pretty stable company, during the recession we worked short work weeks instead of laying people off.

Cons

Some times the decisions made seem to be a knee jerk reaction. Mandatory overtime, expect to work most Saturdays if you are a manufacturing worker.

11. A good place to work from the outside.

Current Employee - CNC Operator/Machinist in Fort Smith, AR (US)
    Current Employee - CNC Operator/Machinist in Fort Smith, AR (US)

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Baldor is one of the best factories that I have ever worked at (above: Rheem, Whirlpool, Riverside, Planters). It's climate controlled and pays well and if your a robot that never gets injured, tired, sick, asks a question, and you want to live there then your employment will be looong and enjoyable. Guaranteed to work 45 Saturdays a year and often times you go to work and just stand around because no one can keep supplies coming in on time, finding matching components within the departments to assemble a complete motor, or because one or several machines sit idle for half to an entire shift that should be running to keep everyone else down the line in parts. Makes for an easy day or night.

Cons

What used to be a family friendly work environment with 45hrs of sick leave renewing every 6 months now renews one year after the date you missed (this is also used for inclement weather, unforeseen events, and tardyness). Before a person could either come in early or stay over to make up time lost for doctors appointments and the like as long as it was on the same day without it counting against them.

The management used to be on a level plane with the employees, keeping them humble, which was nice and made us feel more like a team. The open door policy was nice and was actually true (I went myself to the former CEO one day and there were no locked doors; everyone was very welcoming), this is no longer even though it's still on the books.

I have noticed hard working temps (who were not friends of mine nor that I had feelings for one way or the other) fired for reasons that were more along the lines of they didn't look right or maybe rubbed upper management the wrong way, so were terminated at the very suspicion of wrong doing without appeal. One after working 3 years as a temp and on the day before he was to be hired.

They buy cheap machines that perform poorly, but expect the best quality from them at a fast rate (I run a cnc and our customers should really check their parts to make sure they are getting what they are paying for), the micro-finishes unless they are burnished are hard to achieve with the doosans because of chatter and some don't have burnish tools in them. Balancing should be checked as well; basically, make sure you're getting what you pay for because alot of times the attitude is "oh well it will pass, maybe". I do the best I can to make excellent parts and sometimes get scolded for a low count for the effort but that don't really bother me that much (I have never been written up or caused trouble for my bosses and I love and get along well with my fellow employees; nothing in the form of scrap or bad parts ever comes back on me).

Baldor employees can expect at least a moderate stressful environment with the ABB acquisition depending on where you work in the plant, more so on first shift. The management do not care about concerns that you have about safety or work processes unless you have a degree and aggressively put down people with ideas contrary to that of white-collar intelligence. We are constantly forced to sign papers for "training", constantly threatened with our jobs and although the company is stable a person can be ran out for anything...ANYTHING! Injuries are something to get written up for because it's always your fault; I eyewitnessed a man earlier this very year (2014) get injured by the turret inside his machine rotating with the doors open. His finger or thumb was broken to the point that bones had to be screwed together, but instead of being sent to the doctor, he was "talked" into working with his other hand until lunch which was at least for two hours. The 10 million hour no lost time record might look good but it's far from accurate. Folks were either fired or forced to come in and just sit there post surgery to avoid it being recorded, but that's no more than everyone else does. Whirlpool did it too, it's just Baldor used to be honest about it.

It's also hard to advance unless you know someone, the buddy system is very strong here and experience takes a back seat at times. The reason people stay at Baldor is because it pays well and it's climate controlled. It's good, I suppose for a factory because I've worked alot worse but it used to be better.

Advice to Management

Hey guys, we all love our customers (or you're supposed to) so stop being snotty and having puffed up chests about your high positions, love and listen to your employees; we do the work and are the one's that have to endure some of those bad ideas from people who have never done the job. Leaders should be the best servants.