Banana Republic

Banana Republic Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun

Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap)(in 101 reviews)

• Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies)(in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about(in 87 reviews)

• Employee raises were given once a year, but they cap sales associates in the Factory Stores at(in 38 reviews)

working at Banana Republic

Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosgreat people to work with. friendly coworkers. they are very professional, honest,

Consnot much opportunities to move up in the company

Mediocre

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Elizabeth, NJ (US)

ProsNot the most physically or mentally demanding job.

ConsLow wage. Lack of community. Too much focus on the credit card registrations.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to play up their strengths. Yes, it's good for people to be well rounded, but some might just be more natural in some positions than others. Don't force a creative to be good at sales. Sometimes they'll work, but a lot of time the talents won't mesh.

Employee discount is great, but management is not!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsThe employee discount was great. The majority of the people I worked with were awesome as well. Many hours to go around, some customers were great. The casual attire was awesome, but too strict on some people while others got away with shorter and non-professional clothing.

ConsManagers only cared about getting a certain amount of BRC credit cards. They pressured you into moving past 3 "no's" I could tell when a customer didn't want to be bothered with the conversation but I would have to keep asking. otherwise I'd get pulled into the office. READ your employee guidelines!!! Don't ask another employee about what you can and can't do- they probably don't even know. Doing research on your own time to figure out the lingo otherwise the managers will roll their eyes and then laugh to another employee about it. The training you get is useless and the stuff you need to know, you'll have to research or face being laughed at. When it comes to customers you are allowed to say no to them, but a manager will turn around and go against company rules. only to make the employee look stupid I.E. returning items that are final sale, washed, worn, torn, or even from 2011

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain better! let them know what hangers go with what garments. When to and to not to give plastic over mesh hanging bags. Discuss the BRC card to them, customers will ask questions and sales will go down if employees only know that they can save %15 by signing up

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run away FAST

Visual Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe employees are friendly and management is normally flexible with scheduling.

ConsVery poor compensation. Company portrays as if they promote from within- they don't. Enjoy working all weekend while your managers & store GM's enjoy their weekends off so they can come back on monday to complain about any & everything. Company pays a very low salary while demanding its workers to overachieve and dress as if they're auditioning for a GQ cover.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good job at brown nosing.

Great Place to Work if You Don't Need to Make a Living!

Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsThe people, and a few of the managers in particular, were incredibly awesome!

ConsOn call hours, Hovering managers, and one manager in particular whose blatant rudeness was constantly overlooked because she had been with the company for some years.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be honest about the way scheduling works. I wasn't told about "on call" hours (which everyone who works there is scheduled for) until after I accepted the job, went through my training, and received my first schedule. Having to call in two hours before your shift makes both earning a living and planning any sort of a life very difficult. I think management should be more upfront about this during the hiring process.

Also, just because someone has been with the company a long time, does not mean that they should be excused from behaving in a unprofessional way, or from acting like a decent human being. One particular manager at this location had such a huge false sense of importance that she treated most people (employees and customers) like they were entirely beneath her. If an employee with a non-managerial position behaved that way, they would be fired...why are the standards different for management?

Lastly, I get the credit card idea, but the system in place does not promote comradery. Instead it seems to praise people who are dishonest and harass those who aren't. The cashiers and sales floor associates are expected to get the same amount of cards. Not only is it way easier for a cashier to get a card, but it is also easy for the cashier to overlook or forget to ask the customer if a sales floor associate mentioned the card to them first, which I have seen cause resentment among employees. The system doesn't make sense, and it isn't fair. It would make more sense to rotate cashier shifts, and make cashiers solely responsible for the cards, or make a store card goal, so everyone who works that day can work together to accomplish the goal.

Ok for part time

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

ProsDiscounts across BR, Old Navy, Gap. Cool cute fashionable co-workers. Get to keep an eye on clearance rack.

ConsHours. You can come in for 8 hours and easily be let go after four. They're always cutting hours but they are always hiring new people. How about instead of 30 people doing 20 hours how about 15 people doing 35 hours? I know like most corporations you don't wanna have to pay benefits but this is ridiculous. It attracts a high turnover crowd, reward people who have shown staying power!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore hours!

Very poor leadership

Merchandise Presentation Lead (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsA positive aspect is you get to meet a lot of really cool people but that also leads into the Cons.

ConsSome of the worst leaders I have seen in my life. Poor communication and very childish.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Get the right leaders in place that inspire.

Customer Experience Nightmare

Customer Experience Lead (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company discount
    Fairly flexible hours
    Paid Time Off
    Decent Benefits
    Gap Inc. has good morals: encouraging and rewarding employees for volunteer work
    Decent pay for non-management employees
    Management pay leaves something to be desired

ConsNo training to new managers
    Managers talk down to employees
    Employees are very cliquey and rude to other employees
    Very poorly managed
    Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about. As a new manager at the store (and never being a sales associate) All I am told to do all day is drive cards and it seriously decreases employee moral

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to train new managers
    Back managers up when it comes to employees
    Make promotions and return policies more consistent
    Don't make the drive for cards as prominant

fun but change in management was a hassle

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

Prosflexible hours and easy to talk to management

Consnot enough hours and no chance to move up

Great management but a draining working environment

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsManagement team is great, open, friendly, they know their business perfectly and training is very thorough. You get 50% discount on their products but considering the numerous times when the whole collection is 40% off for customers, is it really a perk? The good think though is that you don't have to wear BR clothes to work there.

ConsAmongst the lowest salaries in retail and of course, no commission. The company is all about great customer service but how do you seriously deliver any quality service when there is never enough staff to assist the customers On a busy day, there are only 2 sales people at the same time to assist customers in the fitting rooms and grab sizes. I almost quit on my very first day: at some point, the fitting rooms were full, there was a line-up in front of the rooms, customers were asking for help or sizes all at the same time. On my way through the store to grab sizes, I was asked for help by at least 5 customers, same thing on my way back. When I finally get back to the rooms, it starts all over again and it's like this for 7 hours in row. I have never been so exhausted in my life and I worked 8 years in retail! I never experienced anything like it. I am all about customer service but what kind of service can we deliver in a context like this? I am very disappointed by the company...

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company should walk the talk... You want to deliver the best customer service, then HIRE STAFF and pay them decently to do their job. In a previous retail job, I was paid much more and we were always 3 to 4 sales people for a store one-third the size and we actually could and were motivated to deliver great customer service because we felt valued and because we were given the means to truly assist our customers. When you have to handle too many customers at once, there is no way you can deliver any service of any kind. focusing only one a couple of them is not a solution either because the others are not at all being taken care of... I find myself frustrated in a way I've never been before because I want to do a great job, and I can't beause it's all about making profit and the ones paying the price for it are the staff and ultimately the customers.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!